Thailand Affirms Neutral Stance on Russia-Ukraine Crisis

snoop1130

2 hours ago, sscc said:

Vietnam indeed became a communism country since 1975,  the year USA was booted out from Southern Vietnam. 

Yes,  communist Vietnam,  so what ?

I presume you may be  old enough knowing USA was telling and selling the concept in 1960's and 1970's that if Vietnam turned communist,  domino effect would have been taken over the whole region and eventually everywhere.   False USA propaganda made Shameful USA exit from Southern 

Vietnam.  

Or are you so young not knowing this history ? 

Finland shares a1340 kilometer (830 miles) border with Russia. It has remained studiously non-aligned for the last 75 years or so. Now it's now seriously considering joining NATO. What do you know that the Finns don't?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Thailand voted to condemn Russia at the UN General Assembly on 2 March. I am sure Prayut played a big part in that decision. So it is hard to understand why he decided to stay neutral. Either he lack statecraft or he simply dim. I think both. 

Prayut double speak, when Thailand officially voted for this:

The resolution demands that Russia “immediately, completely and unconditionally withdraw all of its military forces from the territory of Ukraine within its internationally recognized borders.”

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Hang on! So the murderers throwing chemical weapons and napalm on the Vietnamese women and children are freedom fighters now? War is peace indeed!

How ironic and in fact pathetic, listening to US people criticize Thailand on an issue related to war. 

However, I do appreciate what the US did in WW2, without any benefit to themselves, or maybe I just don't know. 

So Thailand, along with another 140 countries, signs the UN resolution condemning Russia's invasion of Ukraine and then what do they do  exactly .........? ......... Nothing  ........ that's what!  Subsequent inaction renders the signing of the resolution meaningless. 

Merely an attempt to stay on board with the majority of world opinion but with absolutely no intention of doing anything about it. Fence straddling at its worst. Perhaps, the Government would have been more honest had they not signed the resolution in the first place.

20 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Finland shares a1340 kilometer (830 miles) border with Russia. It has remained studiously non-aligned for the last 75 years or so. Now it's now seriously considering joining NATO. What do you know that the Finns don't?

I was talking about Vietnam 1975, you responded and talked about Finland 2022. 

Do you mix up something ? 

24 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Finland is one of the most progressive nations in the world. They should use their EU membership to lobby to dissolve NATO and establish an EU defence pact where membership is mandatory for all EU countries.

EU should focus on its own and invest in its own capabilities, it starts lagging China technologically which IMO is not good for the world.

There are already suggestions decisions to be made with qualified majority (no veto), which would prevent small puppet states acting against the EU interests.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, vandeventer said:

This is a statement on what's right and what's wrong. It's clear that no one in government is  looking at the death and destruction in Ukraine. They might be focused on the parades in Russia as Putin tells them about all the Nazi's he is killing in Ukraine.

To be neutral means to take benefits and Advantage from the East, West, and of course China.

With this Statement Thailand follows Big Brother China. 

20 minutes ago, sscc said:

I was talking about Vietnam 1975, you responded and talked about Finland 2022. 

Do you mix up something ? 

You were referencing the domino theory. Are you seriously trying to contend that you were making a post that was utterly irrelevant to the topic at hand? Obviously you were using it to discredit the threat posed by Russia to its neighbors. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Finland is one of the most progressive nations in the world. They should use their EU membership to lobby to dissolve NATO and establish an EU defence pact where membership is mandatory for all EU countries.

EU should focus on its own and invest in its own capabilities, it starts lagging China technologically which IMO is not good for the world.

There are already suggestions decisions to be made with qualified majority (no veto), which would prevent small puppet states acting against the EU interests.

Yes, Finland is one of the most progressive nations in the world. And despite its lack of alarmism over the years,  it's truly alarmed about Russia's transgression. Ya think Finland has years to devote to the unlikely creation of a purely European self-defense pact while Russia remains a threat? You think Finland believes that Russia would respect Finland and other bordering nations during the interregnum in which Finland would push for this alliance? 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Deputy Prime Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwon will be in charge of national affairs while the Thai prime minister is in the United States.

At least he'll know the time, unlike one I could mention ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

However, I do appreciate what the US did in WW2, without any benefit to themselves, or maybe I just don't know. 

The US did prevent Britain and France from essentially dismembering Thailand and imposing war reparations on the Thais. Maybe that was a mistake.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, malibukid said:

Russia and China are the new fascist powers.  Thailand is just following orders, besides both countries are good for tourism. 

Right, Thailand want money from Tourism, the US want money from Oil, the UK just follow US, OZ aren't sure what they want. Thailand is distanced from Russia and Ukraine, the 2 most corrupt countries in Europe, leave them to fight it out, it's their own Karma. 

No wonder the unelected PM wants his Banana Republic to remain neutral. He did much the same thing, putting the elected government out of office in 2014. What would have happened if that government resisted? Would the unelected PM have got his soldiers with their guns and overpowered them?

• Like 1

from a military junta leader that grabbed power we shouldn't expect anything else.... unfortunately in a situation as Ukraine has there is no such thing as neutral, claiming he's neutral he's already taking a side and we know which one it is

1 hour ago, Millcx said:

Money Money Money … Chinese Puppets …. neutrality means nothing ..  Thailand is slowly Falling 

Yes, capitalism. I thought that was a Western invention. So Westerners shouldn't blame Thailand for learning the lesson. 

Maybe Westerners should understand that Thailand is part of the Global South, which is the majority of the world's population now. 

12 hours ago, vandeventer said:

This is a statement on what's right and what's wrong. It's clear that no one in government is  looking at the death and destruction in Ukraine. They might be focused on the parades in Russia as Putin tells them about all the Nazi's he is killing in Ukraine.

I don't think that anyone in Thailand's government cares about one or the other.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 4:58 PM, snoop1130 said:

Gen Prayut made clear Thailand’s support for the ASEAN position on the conflict, which promotes the need for peaceful dialogue between the parties involved.

Well what about some peaceful dialogue? Instead of war, war, war from the Woke West? We all lose if there is a real war, you know the nuclear kind!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1