How dating a Thai caddie can improve your golf game

ASEAN NOW News

When ever you play golf in Thailand, it is certainly made a lot more enjoyable when your female caddie is there to clean your clubs and golf balls, drive the golf cart, tell you the exact yardage on the fairways and even read the greens like a paperback too.

Of course, it helps if they also understand the basics of the game of golf too.

However, the best part of playing some of Thailand's 260 golf clubs whether in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chang Mai or Phuket is that most Thai caddies especially the younger ones are well known all over the world for their charm, good looks, and of course their infectious smiles.

Caddies are the secret weapon

IMG_9511.thumb.JPG.4f3c50e47fb8de125f7b28ba3b87091e.JPG

As Thongchai Jaidee the famous Thai professional golfer once said, the Young Thai caddies are the country's secret weapon for boosting golf vacations.

Boom time

Back in the 90s Thailand was booming, and many rich Thai industrialists decided that opening a golf club was not only very tax-efficient but also provided a terrific way for them to entertain clients. on the golf course.

As money was no object most of the world's top plays either designed these courses or lent their name. Nick Faldo, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player and Seve Balesteros made a killing designing courses all over the country.

Back then many Thai women were working in hot and noisy factories, making a very small monthly salary.

Factory Girls

So as the new golf clubs needed a lot of thai women and young Thai girls, many jumped at the chance of becoming a caddie at their local course.

Fresh air and flexible working hours were an attraction for sure.

After a month of training, they became almost full-fledged golf caddies, and off they went and started to get bookings from customers.

Most days there would be enough players of all ages who wanted to play golf at a great Thai golf course and took a caddie.

Young Thai girls earned more than working in a factory.

Along with paying for the green fees, golfers also paid a caddie fee at the golf club's reception, most of which normally went to the caddie.

Apart from earning from what the golf courses paid them, the caddie worked very hard for their designated golfer, and after 18 holes they would earn some generous tips too.

According to research by www.birdie.in.th the website for golfers to manage their handicap, tips could range from THB300-500 or a lot more if the golfer scored a few birdies or eagles during his game.

Some golfers on getting a hole in one were even known to pay their caddie over THB3,000.

It soon became a wonderful way for these young ladies to meet affluent golfers from around the world, especially Expats known as “Farangs.”

It became common knowledge that many caddies were keen to meet a Farang after their rounds of golf at the caddies golf club, and maybe settle down with them in a city like Bangkok or Pattaya, or even back home in the country.

All Thai Caddies were encouraged to play Golf

As the golf courses started to sprout up all over the place, across Thailand, some of the golf club managers decided it would be great for business if they allowed the young caddies out on the course when it was not busy to learn to play golf.

Usually, this was after 4pm when the golf course was not to hot, and the caddies could play and tee off without getting in the way of the paying golfers.

Of course, most caddies had no idea why they were telling golfers that hole number 4 was a dogleg. They had just learnt that fact by the golf course manager.

By playing the game however they soon understood all the golf says and were then able to say "good shot" with meaning.

Caddie Championship

The managers of the courses or the club's golf pro would teach them, as they knew if the caddies had a better understanding of the game, they would be giving customers a better service too.

Golfers can be a difficult bunch to please and when a new caddie cannot give accurate readings they are not happy.

Not really the caddie's fault as a few months ago she may have been working crazy hours at a factory.

The golf club managers knew that getting these young girls to play golf would be good for everyone involved.

IMG_0024.thumb.JPG.8d307e17c519f90b198cc4245108ed84.JPG

Soon it took off, caddies started playing golf and over the past ten years, they have even had their own golf tournament held all over the country called the Caddie Championship.

Many caddies were eager to be selected by the managers to represent the Golf Club at the next round of the Championship, so they started to take their golf seriously.

IMG_9580.thumb.JPG.bcfd2d221a55e3e3f1cb3a5eec6e2aee.JPG

caddies working for caddies

During the actual tournament, it was fun to see the host golf course caddies caddying for the competitors who were also caddies.

The competitors were even given cash by their golf club manager, in order to tip their caddie at the end of the round as well.

Free Golf Clubs from Singha

Even Singha started to provide golf clubs and golf bags for free, and also became a major sponsorship too.

They added regional Caddie Championships in most areas with over 800 young Thai caddies taking part, with a grand final hosted in Pattaya.

There was a friendly rivalry between players from different clubs as Bangkok caddies would be competing in a four ball with caddies from Hau Hin or Pattaya.

The winners in various categories would win trips overseas and cash prizes so the young ladies took it very seriously and the competition was intense.

The success of the Caddie Championship was great for the caddies and the golf clubs and it helped raise the standard of caddying for the customers too.

The caddies were now able to play the greens, know what clubs to select and really began to enjoy and understand the game of golf too.

They now knew playing golf could be both fun and rewarding.

Great publicity for Thailand's Golf Industry

The publicity was also fantastic for the Tourism Authority of Thailand who became the main sponsor and even international TV crews started to cover the tournaments.

Who could not enjoy seeing so many smiling caddies playing golf?

Eventually caddies from South Korea, Vietnam and Cambodia were invited to compete so it became a truly international tournament, bing goodwill between countries.

After the golf the party would begin and the caddies got to meet everyone at a gala dinner and it gave them a chance to dress up during the prize giving ceremony.

Some Dating a caddie can be fun

I remember one English golfer dating his thai caddie, and they regularly went to play at several courses together around Bangkok and Pattaya and they had a fun time.

He would pay the green fee and caddie fees and his caddie girlfriend enjoyed chatting to her caddie at each round.

As we fellows know, dating Thai girls these days means everyone is too busy looking at Tik Tok or Facebook on their mobiles, and so the art of conversation is dead.

However, if you are lucky enough to actually date a caddie who can also play golf, then you will have some very enjoyable times together, even discussing great shots and the odd birdie too.

On the Golf Course- game improvement

Her game improved and so did their relationship as they both enjoyed playing golf together, at many great golf courses around Thailand.

Naturally, when you do turn up at your girlfriend’s golf course, she will obviously want to be on your bag and will do her best to make the extra effort to lower your score.

Sometimes when golfers play in a society or golf group, your caddie girlfriend can be very useful in sorting our pretty caddies for everyone too.

Also, she would make sure all her best Thai friends and caddies at the course would get a chance to caddie for your friends during four balls as well, so it was a win-win situation all around.

She may be expecting a bigger tip for her efforts as well!!!!

IMG_5589.thumb.JPG.e73b659403d3062e3706c1c9899223ab.JPG

Another bonus for thai caddies was they sometimes got extra money by helping when a major tournament was being hosted by their golf club.

Apart from keeping the scores, some lucky caddies even got to caddy for pros and if he won they got a very tasty tip!!

Conclusion

If you want to meet a Thai caddie girlfriend, then playing golf at one of the many courses in Thailand is a great way to do it.

Competition is actually quite intense behind the scenes to get the bag of a handsome farang and many young thai caddies try to make sure that customer knows their caddie number so they will rebook them the next time around as well.

You will get some great exercise walking around the course, and hopefully improve your game too with her help!"

It can be a lot of fun dating a caddie, especially if she also plays golf.

You can spend hours together talking about your game and improving your skills. Plus, she can help you choose the right clubs and sort out tee times for your friends.

Just be prepared to give her a bigger tip for her services!

n.b  Birdie Thailand covers Thailand Golf Handicaps, Golf Courses, and Golf Groups.

Birdie lets you track your handicap, find new golf courses to play in Thailand, Pattaya, Bangkok, and Phuket, and connect with other golfers and golf groups! It is a free service with currently over 15,000 golfers registered.  www.birdie.in.th

I know several guys who have ended up either marrying their caddies, or entered into long term relationships with them.

Even if I am having a bad day on the golf course, a pretty caddie can still brighten things up for me.

Having been a caddie myself when I was a kid, I tip generously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

That's a bit like saying that if you want to meet a Thai girl who is a nurse, hang out at your local hospital!

Er - golf courses are places where I can enjoy myself, hospitals are places where they hurt me.

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Having caddies is a good thing but compulsory caddies a bad thing, it stops many thai people from playing the game regularly, why would they want to pay 700 baht+ for just the caddy

It certainly makes golf expensive.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, PFMills said:

It certainly makes golf expensive.

Yep, certainly compared to most of the world, but there is another option, lower your standards and play army or Navy bases where often no caddies are available, that's what i do, still enjoy it, certainly good enough and testing

• Haha 1

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE WRONG SUGGESTION!! ????

If you want to improve your golf game, choose the least attractive caddy you can find. That way, you'll be better able to keep your mind on the game and your eye on your ball... ????

• Haha 2

It would be nice to have an attractive female as a caddy.  But I sincerely doubt that is going to improve your golf game. Especially if she is only employed for her looks. 

• Like 1

Some of them are decent golfers and may have some good golf tips.  

I have played all over the country don´t be fooled by their caddie job.  More then you may think have several sponsors especially the attractive ones. It is not just Falang in fact I would bet most of their sponsors are Thai, Korean or Japanese men playing golf.

Not that there is anything wrong with it, not at all.  It is an upper scale environment sure beats working in a bar on Soi Buakhao with guys pissing in their pants complaining about the price of a beer.

4 hours ago, billsmart said:

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE WRONG SUGGESTION!! ????

If you want to improve your golf game, choose the least attractive caddy you can find. That way, you'll be better able to keep your mind on the game and your eye on your ball... ????

I look at it another way. Having a bad day on the golf course, combined with a butt-ugly caddie, is going to be depressing. At least with a pretty one, I can forget about how I butchered the eighth hole.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ASEAN NOW News said:

When ever you play golf in Thailand, it is certainly made a lot more enjoyable when your female caddie is there to clean your clubs and golf balls,

on another note, my best friend was Tiger Woods.  That can also improve your game.  Try to become friends with great golfers.  Who knew??!!!   

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, warrima said:

Hole in one with a 3 Wood

It is reported that many of the caddies enjoy working with Farangs because they have longer putters.

3 hours ago, rumak said:

It is reported that many of the caddies enjoy working with Farangs because they have longer putters.

Good one. However, IMO farangs are preferred because they tip more. I have never seen a Thai tip more than the bare minimum. Don't know about the Japanese and Koreans..

Guys…I have removed a reference to certain other activities that some caddies may be available for.

I strongly suggest that posters don’t make anymore comments in that vain… 

• Like 1

Just another advertisement for the promotion of the sex industry in Thailand. Play golf and get laid. Not very respectful for any caddie just doing her job. Sure its hard for normal caddies to go to work and have to but up with the sex tourist thinking their caddie is an easy lay. 

• Like 1