Vigo windscreen film window tinting that protects from sun UV but doesn't look too dark ? what brand did you buy and what % percent %

8 minutes ago, ThaiSmarterThanYou said:

I read the full thread but nobody seems to be able to tell how much for WHICH BRAND ?

everybody throwing % and prices around without exact details is as idiot as people who review restaurants by saying that it's great without explaining why. But maybe you never felt useless until now ? Time to understand !

Difficult to be precise because there are so many brands and ranges of films, vehicle sizes etc.

This link give approximate prices for the various 3M films for different vehicles. Use translation app if you can't read Thai.

https://www.3mautofilmclub.com/ราคาฟิล์ม

12 minutes ago, ThaiSmarterThanYou said:

I read the full thread but nobody seems to be able to tell how much for WHICH BRAND ?

everybody throwing % and prices around without exact details is as idiot as people who review restaurants by saying that it's great without explaining why. But maybe you never felt useless until now ? Time to understand !

Sorry, as I said earlier, I like 3M Crystalline 70 on the windshield and Crystalline 40 on the side windows. 

I did not mention that I paid ฿24,000 for a new Fortuner about 5 years ago. Out of pocket was ฿19,000 as I got a ฿5,000 credit from the installer for the SG 3M film Toyota agreed to. 

4 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Difficult to be precise because there are so many brands and ranges of films, vehicle sizes etc.

This link give approximate prices for the various 3M films for different vehicles. Use translation app if you can't read Thai.

https://www.3mautofilmclub.com/ราคาฟิล์ม

Lamina has a site that provides quotes as well. 

8 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I had the same experience from MG. I went with 40% front, 60% side and rear and 80% for the sunroof, cos I’ve got no hair. 
The only issue I’ve had with vision is reversing down my (previously) unlit driveway at night. A well placed LED flood took care of that 

did the same on mine, no problem with day time or night time use, but had a problem with the easy pass tag and the built in sat nav, its in the garage at the moment they are telling me the film was causing the problem and are having it changed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

did the same on mine, no problem with day time or night time use, but had a problem with the easy pass tag and the built in sat nav, its in the garage at the moment they are telling me the film was causing the problem and are having it changed.

That's good info, thanks.

Only issue we've had was a noisy fuel pump that was changed very quickly under warranty. I was shocked with the ease and speed that they replaced it, with.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Window films don't work like that, just because you can't see into the car doesn't mean that the occupants can't see out!   

Why then,  quite a  few Farangs on here complaining  of not being able to see out ,especially  at night, me being one of them

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, actonion said:

Why then,  quite a  few Farangs on here complaining  of not being able to see out ,especially  at night, me being one of them

Because they're exaggerating.  If the tint was so dark that they could not see out of it why do they have it fitted?

On 5/14/2022 at 10:57 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Window films don't work like that, just because you can't see into the car doesn't mean that the occupants can't see out!   

Yes, but window films certainly don't make it easier for them to see out.

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Because they're exaggerating.  If the tint was so dark that they could not see out of it why do they have it fitted?

Not exaggerating. I have been in cars with a dangerous level of tint. Tinting shouldn't be a substitute for a pair of sunglasses. Would you drive at night wearing sunglasses?

I don't have any tint on the front screen (front screens block 95%+ of UV) because I can wear sunglasses on bright days.  Mild tint (70% VLT) on side glass. Side glass does not block all UV so a film is advisable. A mild tint film will block 40-50% of infra-red radiation thus reducing the load on the A/C.

21 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Dusk is not so good, but I can deal with that 

During last year's "Seven Days of Death" celebration, they published a statistic that 80% of road traffic accidents in Thailand happen between 17:00 and 20:00... aka dusk.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

Not exaggerating. I have been in cars with a dangerous level of tint. Tinting shouldn't be a substitute for a pair of sunglasses. Would you drive at night wearing sunglasses?

I don't have any tint on the front screen (front screens block 95%+ of UV) because I can wear sunglasses on bright days.  Mild tint (70% VLT) on side glass. Side glass does not block all UV so a film is advisable. A mild tint film will block 40-50% of infra-red radiation thus reducing the load on the A/C.

People claiming they have film installed that they can't see out of are exaggerating. How would one leave the film shop if they could not see out? Windows down and their head sticking out? 

People claiming their film is too dark to be safe, or that say they have ridden in vehicles with dangerous levels of tint are likely not exaggerating, 

Auto glass typically has tint in it, and higher end cars typically have better and darker tint in the windshield than lower end cars. Does that mean the higher end cars are more dangerous to drive than lower end cars? 

Do some people go a crazy with the tint such that it is dangerous? Absolutely. But that does not mean there is anything wrong with installing film on the windshield. Some people don't like wearing glasses, sun or otherwise. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

During last year's "Seven Days of Death" celebration, they published a statistic that 80% of road traffic accidents in Thailand happen between 17:00 and 20:00... aka dusk.

Not a surprise really.  I try to avoid being out in the car at that time, or at night.  I once found myself driving down an unlit road at night and came across a buffalo sitting dead center in the road, apparently resting.  Just managed to stop in time as i was going quite slowly. It would have made a mess of anyone driving or riding fast . 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

People claiming they have film installed that they can't see out of are exaggerating. How would one leave the film shop if they could not see out? Windows down and their head sticking out? 

People claiming their film is too dark to be safe, or that say they have ridden in vehicles with dangerous levels of tint are likely not exaggerating, 

Auto glass typically has tint in it, and higher end cars typically have better and darker tint in the windshield than lower end cars. Does that mean the higher end cars are more dangerous to drive than lower end cars? 

Do some people go a crazy with the tint such that it is dangerous? Absolutely. But that does not mean there is anything wrong with installing film on the windshield. Some people don't like wearing glasses, sun or otherwise. 

And others wear their sunglasses on their head.

...at night.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:
2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Not a surprise really.  I try to avoid being out in the car at that time, or at night.  I once found myself driving down an unlit road at night and came across a buffalo sitting dead center in the road, apparently resting.  Just managed to stop in time as i was going quite slowly. It would have made a mess of anyone driving or riding fast . 

When I first read the statistic, I thought about my driving habits in Thailand over the years. Fifteen years ago, long haul trips were best done overnight and saved several hours. I would get on the road by 10 p.m. and try and get to my destination before 5 a.m. which was when workers started heading out on unlit motorbikes and the sip-lohrs start getting out of the overnight lay-by. However, with more vehicles, traffic lights and the sprawl of towns and cities with no decent ring-roads, the time savings vaporised and you ended up catching a rush hour somewhere. Long haul daytime was then timed to leave after breakfast and get to my destination 'before tea time' since rush hour and the locals racing to get home 'before dark' made things notably more frantic.

Locally, I avoid driving in town on Saturdays and Sundays and do my shopping runs and socializing on weekdays instead.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

And others wear their sunglasses on their head.

...at night.

very cool.  In a previous life, many moons ago, I was flying a military jet on a simulated,. first run  airfield attack profile.  After the attack run, I realized that I  had not lowered my tinted visor, so being a hot shot, good looking, cool dude, I just had to repeat the attack profile,  visor down.  Cool is always required, even if it kills you.   

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2022 at 9:05 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Maybe because you dont know how dark  is the tint "until u have it fitted"

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Pick one of these:

- The film came with the car, and the dealer didn't ask which film they want

- The dealer recommended the dark tint and the buyer listened to him

- The buyer might have inspected different films, but it was in bright daylight and not at night, so the dark film seemed appropriate

- The wife or girlfriend bought the car and picked this dark tint

- Second hand car, which came with the film

Of course they could have it changed, but then it's probably a mixture of "It's somehow bareable", "I rarely drive at night", "I will change it in the future", "I don't want to spend the money" so they never get it done.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Pick one of these:

- The buyer might have inspected different films, but it was in bright daylight and not at night, so the dark film seemed appropriate

Of course they could have it changed, but then it's probably a mixture of "It's somehow bareable", "I rarely drive at night", "I will change it in the future", "I don't want to spend the money" so they never get it done.

So the drive with their head out the window?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Pick one of these:

Ok, I'll pick then all...

"The film came with the car, and the dealer didn't ask which film they want"

Film does not come as factory standard so why buy that car?

"The dealer recommended the dark tint and the buyer listened to him"

So the owner chose it.

"The buyer might have inspected different films, but it was in bright daylight and not at night, so the dark film seemed appropriate"

So he chose it.

"The wife or girlfriend bought the car and picked this dark tint"

So he gave then the choice.

"Second hand car, which came with the film"

So why but the car?

• Haha 1

And to be clear (pun intended) it is pretty cheap and easy to have the film removed and or replaced. 

I bought a new Isuzu a few vehicles back and the film I selected was too dark and they changed it free. They have pretty good margins and generally want happy customers. 

You only make the mistake once...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

3M do a Crystalline range which is clear or has less tint that filters suns rays and heat.

Llumar do as well I believe. 

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/c/films-sheeting/window/light-control/i/automotive/post-factory-installations/

https://llumar.com/na/en/automotive/window-tint/

The Crystalline is great. I went from a vehicle with a standard film to the Crystalline and the difference was remarkable 

• Haha 1