Birds seized during police raids sold at auction in Hua Hin for over 2 million baht

webfact

image.jpeg

By Online Reporter

More than 300 birds which were seized by police during raids across Thailand have been sold at an auction held in Hua Hin.

A total of 314 birds were sold at the auction, which took place at the Hua Hin campus of Rajamangala University of Technology.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The auction included a variety of different bird breeds, from common chicken and geese to parrots.

The standout lot was 6 South American blue and yellow macaws which together sold for a total of 515,000 baht.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/birds-seized-during-police-raids-sold-at-auction-in-hua-hin-for-over-2-million-baht/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2022-05-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

LOL....somebody is getting rich in the police department and it isn't the folks in the lower echelon.

Reminds me, what ever happened to those 300 odd luxury cars that the bent Police chief collected ? All all distributed out now ? 

• Like 2

Next life i intend to join the Thai police as the keeper and curator of their storage compounds where they keep their confiscated and sized loot, from what i read lately one can be very comfortable working there...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

More than 300 birds which were seized by police during raids across Thailand have been sold at an auction held in Hua Hin.

Seized by police for illegality, yet they can sell them legally?

Welcome to Thailand

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Next life i intend to join the Thai police as the keeper and curator of their storage compounds where they keep their confiscated and sized loot, from what i read lately one can be very comfortable working there...

I doubt if anything is held in storage very long.

It seems that many things are re-distributed quit quickly.

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Reminds me, what ever happened to those 300 odd luxury cars that the bent Police chief collected ? All all distributed out now ? 

Sold at auction for about the same money, I'd expect.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Seized by police for illegality, yet they can sell them legally?

Welcome to Thailand

The birds were in the possession of crooks, not themselves the primary focus, at least what I gathered.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kwaibill said:

The birds were in the possession of crooks, not themselves the primary focus, at least what I gathered.

So why are they auctioned and not released back into the wild?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

They are captive bred domesticated pet birds.

If released into the wild they would be dead in a few days, unless they flew to some human to rescue them.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 2:49 PM, hotchilli said:

Because they, the south American ones particularly, might not survive in the wilds of Thailand.

• Like 1