Renovation, everything new in the kitchen, bathroom, etc. How did you decide what you buy?

On 5/17/2022 at 12:47 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

This is an example of what I saw somewhere. I don't think they will work as good as normal ceiling fans.

Best-Bladeless-Ceiling-Fan.jpg?resize=12

That is an extraction (or exhaust) fan.

Typically situated in kitchens (to remove the toxic eye-watering fumes created during Thai cooking) and bathrooms (also to remove noxious odours).

They are not designed to circulate air.

On 5/16/2022 at 2:15 PM, Mark Nothing said:

The process I used was physically going to all the different homestores multiple times, visiting new condo showrooms, visiting hotels, reading renovation/design books, talking with friends and family.  Seeing the design concept in person is better than a book or online presentation.

Eventually it all comes together by process of elimination.  Many times you love a concept on first sight then less and less each time thereafter.  But the design that looks better and better each viewing is what I chose.  This is a personal preference for each owner.

1st para is what we did for the kitchen and other rooms and are doing now for 2 bathrooms. Think that you will only do this once (probably), don't buy outlandish colours and designs that look good in the showroom or show condo and are maybe deeply discounted for a reason, mix and match on price choosing quality pieces that you hopefully know that you will never replace (we purchased imported European TV cabinet and sofa, each for the price you can buy a new car at the high end as well as a small table 45cm diameter, which was less than 10k THB), choose good lighting and controls, think about what you really want and need to be built in (coffee machine, dishwasher), choose quality surfaces for kitchen and bathrooms, do you want it to be suitable for young children?, watch the sub-contractor and his subbies if he has like a hawk and don't be afraid to complain.

1 hour ago, rimmae2 said:

choose quality surfaces for kitchen

Thanks for your post. And about above: What is a good surface for the kitchen and why?

I care that it is easy to clean and if possible no problem to put a hot pot on it. It should look alright but I don't need any fancy design.

On 5/18/2022 at 4:09 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your post. And about above: What is a good surface for the kitchen and why?

Something you like, because you like it. 

I've had several tile kitchens and a couple "Formica" tops and they were all okay. My current counters, which were a DIY temporary job that is not three years old, is large format wall tiles, trimmed with mosaics and smaller format, heavy relief tiles for the back-splash. Cheap and easy with almost no maintenance. What I want in my final cut is "Formica" on the counters along the wall and a butcher-block island if I ever get around to it. 

The bummer with small tiles it that they are high maintenance and and they are a PITA when they chip or crack. 

Let your girlfriend get what she wants and forget it. The last thing you want is overrule he "cheap" selection and spend a lot of dough on something you pick that turns to sh*t. You'll never hear the end of it. Let her get what she wants. That said, I would insist on a big, deep double sink and hot water....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Let her get what she wants. That said, I would insist on a big, deep double sink and hot water....

I decided already to have a deep double sink and hot water.

My gf is luckily not demanding. Most of the time her attitude is "up to you". But then again, she has a good idea about what I like and she knows it is unlikely that I will select something which she doesn't like.

With the kitchen (surface) and many other things my first priorities are that they work as intended and are good quality to last some time. I would never buy anything that is the newest design only because of that reason.