Renovation, everything new in the kitchen, bathroom, etc. How did you decide what you buy?

I am renovating my apartment in Bangkok. Now I have a concrete shell and slowly I have to make up my mind what I will buy. My problem is that there are just so many choices.

To get a rough overview I checked the HomePro website. There are I.e. a bathroom sinks for 1k up to 10k, bathtubs for 3k to 23k, Induction hobs with 4 fields from 16k to 100k, etc.

I am not a cheap Charlie so I don't have to buy all the cheapest. And I am also not so rich to buy just the best from the best brand. My idea is to buy something good from a brand name company what works just fine and has a long life expectancy, doesn't waste too much power, etc. Still many options.

What did you do in such a situation? Do online research? Walk around in a shop? Set yourself a fixed budget for all of it or single items? Buy something with the highest discount at the moment? Let someone else decide for you?

How did you make up your mind and in the hindsight did you make a good decision? 

I went to Baan & Beyond and didn't like the quality of stuff, Homepro not that impressed, tried Boonthavorn and too expensive in there for what i wanted, so had the same difficulty in deciding, in the end bought everything at IKEA which i like anyway and historically has lasted very well. Except mattresses aren't as good as they used to be

The process I used was physically going to all the different homestores multiple times, visiting new condo showrooms, visiting hotels, reading renovation/design books, talking with friends and family.  Seeing the design concept in person is better than a book or online presentation.

Eventually it all comes together by process of elimination.  Many times you love a concept on first sight then less and less each time thereafter.  But the design that looks better and better each viewing is what I chose.  This is a personal preference for each owner.

My opinion is higher quality products look better and last longer, so are cheaper in the long run useful life analysis.

German and japanese products have been excellent.  Daikin aircons.  Steibel eltron hot water heaters.  Grohe or Toto bathroom.  Heifeli bathroom attachments. Hitachi refrigerators.  Bosch laundry.  Toto and kohler toilets.

I didn't buy any of the crazy high priced imports.  I noticed buying the el cheapo products created problems requiring replacement after a few years plus they looked bad and didn't function properly.  Like a chinese toilet where the seat bolts were submerged under water and rusting created rust colored water in toilet bowl, towel racks that rusted, faucets that were not user friendly, hot water machines that intermittently went hot and cold during shower.

One the design concept is decided then having photos for workers is very helpful so they know what you want.

• Like 1

Hands on is the way to go.  You’ll never know the quality unless you see it in person.

Go to the different places around town to get an idea regarding prices and quality.

KVIK

IKEA

Homepro

Boonthavorn

For bathroom ideas on a budget you could check out Shower Plus.

Runganan Watsadu have some renovation ideas too. They are based in Khon Kaen but I'm sure that any ThaiWatsadu store would be able to help you out.

Most of these places (Global House, HomePro, Boonthavorn, ThaiWatsadu etc.) have lists of preferred contractors that can assist or manage the installation work too.

Another thing to look for in Bangkok is check out what's happening at Impact Arena Muang Thong Thani... they quite often have exhibitions there for bathrooms, kitchens, furniture, home appliances, home security, etc.

• Like 1

I think you need to keep a good eye on any stainless products you buy. I've bought some expensive stainless taps and some cheap outside kitchen sinks etc. Just replace the sink after a couple of years because of rust holes, the taps are a bit better.

Now I sort of go for the stainless in the middle. Good at a shop like Global House where they have them all laid out side by side.

Though Off Topic, make sure you install proper P Traps if you can.

CDC ( Crystal Design Center ), The Walk . There's a few around that area - I feel like I spent every weekend there for a couple of months - good luck.

Anything Wood e.g. Kitchen islands(made to your spec) , doors, tables and chairs - wood road

Edited by Pmbkk

I like to go middle of the road on many of these things. Low cost stuff is usually cheap for a reason but likewise some of the high end is way over priced. 

I put Mr Ken ceiling fans in each of the rooms a few years ago and while it stung a bit at the time - they have been some of the best purchases i've made here. 

1 minute ago, warrima said:

I like to go middle of the road on many of these things. Low cost stuff is usually cheap for a reason but likewise some of the high end is way over priced. 

I put Mr Ken ceiling fans in each of the rooms a few years ago and while it stung a bit at the time - they have been some of the best purchases i've made here. 

I bought 9 ceiling fans that are now 15 years old, only replaced one and fitted new capacitors in a couple that are on all day, every day....

They really are a must in any build, especially the bedroom, running all night...????

5 minutes ago, transam said:

I bought 9 ceiling fans that are now 15 years old, only replaced one and fitted new capacitors in a couple that are on all day, every day....

They really are a must in any build, especially the bedroom, running all night...????

Yes, they are a must - except if you have a nice cold AC. ???? 

young-couple-handsome-husband-and-his-be

• Haha 2

I like to go and look, and find stuff I like. 

Keep in mind, a lot (most?) brands have A & B lines. 

I try to by name brand, mid-range stuff that is reasonably popular. 

Stuff you don't care about let your GF select. 

Sh*t doesn't last forever, don't get too caught up in it. Appliances and fixtures are pretty easy to change out. 

Heavy stuff is almost always better than lightweight stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Keep in mind, a lot (most?) brands have A & B lines. 

Thanks for your post and especially this line. I almost forget about that. But I am used to this fact from many computer companies. In the computer world they often talk about business PCs and consumer models.

Is there a common name for these different lines for home products? Or what are good indicators? I.e. looking at the warranty time or place of manufacture? 

IKEA for most built in stuff.... We’ve found its the best quality for the price (and use their build in service)

IKEA / Chia Republic for most non-build in furniture.

IKEA / HomePro / Index for lighting.

IKEA or Chia Republic for Sofa’s and Beds (Chic Re is more expensive).

Boontavorn for floor and wall tiling and definitely counter tops (IKEA outsource to them and charge more).

Homepro for electronics (Fridge / washing machine  / Dryer / Oven / HobCooker / Hood / TV’s).

Jatuchak for decorating and bits n bobs. 

Curtains and Wall Papering (to order - can’t remember the guy - private company).

Air-Con’s all direct from Samsung.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fitted out a house recently.

I went to a house and condo exhibition at BITEC and bought some fittings there, but mostly toured around Buntaworn, Thai Watsadu and Homepro, and found good deals on the mid range bathroom and kitchen fittings.  

I aimed for "50% off" deals on the better quality ranges, but came unstuck with my 50% off end of line tiles, as I was a few tiles short due to breakages, and had to re-tile one bathroom.

If you have the time to search, there's some good deals out there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Chia Republic for Sofa’s and Beds (Chic Re is more expensive)

After I couldn't find Chia Republic I found Chic Republic

https://www.chicrepublicthai.com/

At least on the web it looks like they have some attractive furniture. I will visit them to have a closer look.

Thanks

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your post and especially this line. I almost forget about that. But I am used to this fact from many computer companies. In the computer world they often talk about business PCs and consumer models.

Is there a common name for these different lines for home products? Or what are good indicators? I.e. looking at the warranty time or place of manufacture? 

You should see a price jump, but beyond that, you should be able to see and feel the difference. When you pick up a cheap Cotto faucet, it feels completely different from a good Cotto faucet. A good toilet seat feels different than a cheap toilet seat.

For most appliances/fixtures, once you get past the mid-range, you start paying much, much more, for very little additional benefit. A nice, big, well thought-out refrigerator looks and feels better than something gimmicky. Don't pay for features you don't want.  The only things you really need to pay attention to are things that are HARD to change. Tile, plumbing, electrical,  bathtub, built-in cabinets, etc. If you don't like your toilet, buy another one in few years. HomePro will deliver and install it, and haul away the old one for B500. Just make sure you buy standard size stuff. It takes about ten minutes to swap out an old hob with a new one if they're the same size. 

I think warranties are overrated, unless it's form a big, reputable manufacturer (or retailer) with significant presence, it means nothing. Most products that are installed correctly that don't fail right away are going to work for a reasonable length of time.

For most stuff, it makes no sense to pay extra for a better warranty. In fact, brands with better warranties are often cheaper, particularly when they are trying to gain market share. Carrier has a much better warranty than does Daiken, yet they are much cheaper. Daiken builds a fine product, and their residential market share is such that they only need to offer a basic warranty. 

Only buy stuff you like.

I'm not very brand loyal for most appliances except that I like Electrolux washers and dryers. Great products and great, fast, cheap onsite service.  I also like their small kitchen stuff including an inductive hob, but that stuff is more disposable. 

If you haven't already, you should plan on a washer and dryer. They use a lot of power and the dryer should exhaust to the outside. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, they are a must - except if you have a nice cold AC. ???? 

young-couple-handsome-husband-and-his-be

It does get hot upstairs, so put the A/C on for a while to cool things down then let the fan take over for the rest of the night. For me it is far healthier too. Downstairs is a large open plan area, except for the kitchen, doesn't need A/C, has 4 ceiling fans which can be used depending on where you are situated, 2 are on all day.  ????

PS. When we get a power cut, the fans are missed... 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

After I couldn't find Chia Republic I found Chic Republic

https://www.chicrepublicthai.com/

At least on the web it looks like they have some attractive furniture. I will visit them to have a closer look.

Thanks

I think they have a store on the Bangna Trad Road. A lot of good stores/suppliers on both sides of the road, all with good parking. Coming from downtown you can really make a day or two or three of it. 

14 minutes ago, transam said:

It does get hot upstairs, so put the A/C on for a while to cool things down then let the fan take over for the rest of the night. For me it is far healthier too. Downstairs is a large open plan area, except for the kitchen, doesn't need A/C, has 4 ceiling fans which can be used depending on where you are situated, 2 are on all day.  ????

PS. When we get a power cut, the fans are missed... 

And ceiling fans are great for circulating the air in a air-conditioned room such that you don't have warm and cool spots.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

And ceiling fans are great for circulating the air in a air-conditioned room such that you don't have warm and cool spots.

In principle I like ceiling fans. Except my ceiling is at 2.4m. If I stretch out my arms I can just about touch the ceiling.

Does it make sense to have a ceiling fan under those conditions? And are those ceiling fans which are very near to the ceiling any good? This is an example of what I saw somewhere. I don't think they will work as good as normal ceiling fans.

Best-Bladeless-Ceiling-Fan.jpg?resize=12

The issue with ceiling fans... 

If they are not used for a while they collect dust and other muck etc...   then when turned on spread it out !!!... 

I’m not a good friend to have... When I go to a mates house I turn his fan on and watch the gecko-S*** fly everywhere !!... 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If they are not used for a while they collect dust and other muck etc...   then when turned on spread it out !!!... 

I’m not a good friend to have... When I go to a mates house I turn his fan on and watch the gecko-S*** fly everywhere !!... 

One of my jobs is to wipe the fan blades every few months, as well as doing similar to the standing ones in the kitchen, oh, and I mow the lawn too, if it needs it......

Bedroom A/C also gets a clean every few months for the same reason, but I pay a bloke to do that with his pressure washer equipment....

Your chum needs a word in his ear.....????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In principle I like ceiling fans. Except my ceiling is at 2.4m. If I stretch out my arms I can just about touch the ceiling.

Does it make sense to have a ceiling fan under those conditions? And are those ceiling fans which are very near to the ceiling any good? This is an example of what I saw somewhere. I don't think they will work as good as normal ceiling fans.

Same ceiling height as me, I reckon the propeller type ones look too big, i have a Hatari 16" ceiling fan over the bed, it's very good i only use level 1, 2-3 are too powerful. 18" blades are too big, don't make that mistake

IMG_20220517_140004.jpg

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

This has not been my experience.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed

Is that not an exhaust fan? 

2.4m is about 8' which is standard height for ceilings in most residential properties int he US, and ceiling fans are very popular there. Blow down in the summer and up in the winter to complement the HVAC system.

All things the same, the larger the fan is, the more air it will move per revolution, so a large fan can turn a lot slower, while moving the same amount of air, making them much quieter. Also, you also get more air movement, without having to feel wind blowing on you. 

I have a 56" fan in a 4m x 8m room, in the end opposite the AC and it keeps the air circulated perfectly. I can barely hear it.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of ceiling fans, because of their ability to spin slowly.  They can circulate air over a bed without making 'choppy' air and noise which can disturb sleep.

Not all ceiling have a really slow speed, so check before buying 

Even if mounted only 6 inches from the ceiling, they can be effective. 

There's a 'HiSo' ceiling fan shop in Mega Bangna, next to the entrance to Homepro, they have some cool looking fans that can be mounted close to a ceiling.

• Like 1