Salad Dressings

I love making my own salad dressing. But, one of the best salads I ever had was in Luang Prabang, Laos. Kinda lemony creamy dressing. Ah.

One of my favourites is a simple Japanese style (wa <deleted>) dressing:

sesame oil

shoyu (soya sauce)

lemon or manao juice

mushed garlic, if you like

Bt5 bag of black sesame seeds (toast first in dry frying pan)

I never measured the ingredients. Maybe half oil and 1/8 of shoyu and half a manao's juice. Mix up and adjust to taste. Mix with green salad and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Any creamy recipes, chefs? I'm looking for a good caesar dressing, too.

It's salad season with fresh greens in Canuckland, so that's why I'm hungry for dressings.

Can't help with the creamy dressing, however, I have to share the olive oil dressing forumla.

Olive oil (any type, I prefer the lighter type) any vinegar (I prefer a good balsamic). Once you have these two, mix 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. Now the fun starts, experiment with any of the following: Boullion, black pepper, lime juice, crushed garlic, herbs - whatever.

So my fav, 3 tablespoons of oil and 1 tablespoon of vinegar as stated above, level teaspoon of boullion, teaspoon of lime juice and a crack of black pepper. Shake like crazy and put on a large salad (enough for 4-6) and mix up so all salad coated. Served with a nice crusty bread and enjoy. Yummy!!!

Can't help with the creamy dressing, however, I have to share the olive oil dressing forumla.

Olive oil (any type, I prefer the lighter type) any vinegar (I prefer a good balsamic). Once you have these two, mix 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. Now the fun starts, experiment with any of the following: Boullion, black pepper, lime juice, crushed garlic, herbs - whatever.

So my fav, 3 tablespoons of oil and 1 tablespoon of vinegar as stated above, level teaspoon of boullion, teaspoon of lime juice and a crack of black pepper. Shake like crazy and put on a large salad (enough for 4-6) and mix up so all salad coated. Served with a nice crusty bread and enjoy. Yummy!!!

Boullion, Tiggy? Like the soup stock?

Boullion, Tiggy? Like the soup stock?

Yeah that's the stuff, it's spelled 'bouillon'. I never use it as a stock. Try it in small quantities in salad dressings, it's fab.

Here's another one for you. Roasted butternut squash with maple syrup. For 4 people. Get a smallish (non gourd shape) butternut squash. Cut into quarters, leave the skin on (a lot of people don't know how tasty the skin is when roasted) Place on a roasting dish (skin side down) basted with maple syrup. After about 15-20 sprinkle on a few teaspoons of bouillon and baste again with the maple syrup. Baste again before serving. The whole thing takes 30-40 mins and tastes 'un-real'! On the side with a meat and 3 veg type of meal it works really well! I did it with a lamb in caramelised red onion and balsamic vinegar served with roast potatoes and asparagus tips and my guests were drooling! Along with a 'Casillero del Diablo' Cab Sav for good measure - you need a 'strong' tasting wine for this to be complete. Enjoy...

That's it!!!

Like the same way, may be some additional parmesan shavings on top........

Gerd

This one sounds yummy, it's out of the BKK post a couple of weeks ago.

Creamy lemon - Chive dressing

2tbsp fresh lemon juice

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup light cream

1/3 cup of finely minced chives

Put lemon juice and salt ina small jar, vover and shake to dissolve salt

add cream and chives. Shake to blend and adjust salt to taste. Store covered in fridge for up to a week. Shake to belend before using.

Sounds OK to me, you could substiture the green bits of spring onions for the chives and lime for the lemon. :o

Ooh, thanks, Leisurely. I'll be trying that -- almost sounds like the Luang Prabang dressing. I have some herb pots with regular and garlic chives, parsley and marjoram. I still make your Leisurely chicken with tarragon; it's one of my all-time favourites. I also put tarragon in my al fredo-like sauce for pasta. You got me hooked.

I love vinaigrettes, but sometimes I want something "softer". My local pizza joint does a good caesar dressing, but a bit garlicy for me altho creamy. Guess I should try the cream bit.

I used to use

1 raw egg

olive oil

balsamic vinegar

salt/pepper

dash of dry mustard

Sadly, Canada Health warns against raw egg consumption now because of salmonella poisoning. Ah well, pretend it's a Roman banquet and just throw up after so you can eat something else.

That's it!!!

Gerd

Praise indeed! I agree with the shavings on top - luxury!

That's it!!!

Gerd

Praise indeed! I agree with the shavings on top - luxury!

Creamy dill dressing!!! pak chi laos(dill) can be found around, not too sure about the south.....vinegar, mayo..mm (salad cream) black pepper...it is delicious!!

This one sounds yummy, it's out of the BKK post a couple of weeks ago.

Creamy lemon - Chive dressing

2tbsp fresh lemon juice

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup light cream

1/3 cup of finely minced chives

Put lemon juice and salt ina small jar, vover and shake to dissolve salt

add cream and chives. Shake to blend and adjust salt to taste. Store covered in fridge for up to a week. Shake to belend before using.

Sounds OK to me, you could substiture the green bits of spring onions for the chives and lime for the lemon. :o

My favorite is Blue cheese, but your recipe will be used this weekend. I'm gonna give it a day in court as it seems it would be really tasty as you mentioned.

Thanks.

:D

Yep. I tried a half measure of this last night on plain greens (like you get in the market for Bt5), sliced cuke, green pepper and tomatoes. Looks like it's curdling at first, but shook it up well. It is yummy. I did not add salt. Maybe a hint of garlic or a little sugar to expand the taste? Thanks again, Leisurely.

Yep. I tried a half measure of this last night on plain greens (like you get in the market for Bt5), sliced cuke, green pepper and tomatoes. Looks like it's curdling at first, but shook it up well. It is yummy. I did not add salt. Maybe a hint of garlic or a little sugar to expand the taste? Thanks again, Leisurely.

Take it easy on the sugar and salt. I have given them up altogether and don't miss them at all. here's so much 'added' sugar and salt in our diet that we don't really need any extra!

Thanks, Tiggy. I rarely add salt and that's the reason I cannot eat premade/prepackaged food: the sodium content makes me so ill. Same when I bake cookies or the like: half the sugar required. But, a little sprinkle of sugar sometimes gives the je ne sais quoi factor.