Myanmar citizen is on overstay from tmr: can she fly to Cambodia and back a few days later?

A Myanmar citizen is on overstay from tomorrow. But she has a confirmed appointment at the Polish Embassy May 30. The idea is to let her fly to Cambodia for a few days and then back to Thailand. The Myanmar citizen has two vaccinations.

From my own research I found that she could stay up to 14 days in Cambodia and again 14 days in Thailand after coming back to Thailand.

Does anyone know of any possible problems with this set up?

Could she apply for a single tourist visa there?

In principle this is possible. Entering Cambodia is no problem, as she is eligible for a 14-day visa exempt entry. Returning to Thailand could be trickier. Of course, a Thailand Pass (with the requisite insurance) will be needed. Even then, if she has been a long time in Thailand, Immigration might create problems when re-entering visa exempt in Bangkok.

A tourist visa from the embassy in Phnom Penh is a "maybe". It would certainly be desirable if she can get it. If she is successful, it would mean being in Cambodia most of the next week.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

@BritTimThanks so much. Yes, of course for Thailand there is no guarantee. We thought since she could proof to have an appointment at the embassy that this would help.

But if she stays in Thailand illegally can it be, besides the risk of being detained, that the Polish embassy would refuse to handle her visa case?

38 minutes ago, zappalot said:

@BritTimThanks so much. Yes, of course for Thailand there is no guarantee. We thought since she could proof to have an appointment at the embassy that this would help.

But if she stays in Thailand illegally can it be, besides the risk of being detained, that the Polish embassy would refuse to handle her visa case?

I think an overstay by a Myanmar national would be very unwise, too likely to result in serious issues in the future.

In the specific case of the Polish embassy, I do not believe there would be an issue.

It is unfortunate that the issue was not considered earlier. A last minute flight is liable to be very expensive. By the way, an alternative to Cambodia could be Maesot (cheap to reach by bus, and possible for around 5,000 by air via Nok Air). The airport is very close to the border bridge. Obviously, she would need to hurry to leave Thailand today. The return could be cheaply by road.

• Like 1

Absolutely do not overstay further, get her out of the country as soon as possible.

To get a Tourist visa in Cambodia she will have to show proof of at least $1,000 in a bank account (bank statement) and also show a roundtrip ticket. (The last doesn't make sense now that land border is open, but was an absolute requirement before and is still listed on the Embassy website).

Takes about 3 days.

She can enter Camboda by land border if she prefers. She will be fined 500 baht per day of overstay on the way out. At airport the first 24 hour overstay fine is waived.

• Like 1

You should never ask  a question without giving the story.

A mynamar citizen has a overstau in thailand, wants to go Cambodia,

No understanding of why goes polish embassy,.no understanding of how long overstay.

So anwser is simple, go to fly, pay the fine and leave, under 90 days fine over could be a problem.

Unfortunately the story continues so here are some details:

A specialty restaurant from Poland wanted to hire two chefs from Myanmar. One after another. So in Poland they applied for the right papers including a work permit which they got. With these papers they got the intended visa includes a work permit for Poland from the Polish Embassy here in Bangkok. Then they wanted to get the second chef into Poland doing exactly the same thing. Things didn't go to plan this time despite the fact that exactly the same circumstances applied. Anyway, now they got another appointment at the embassy and of May but the 30 day extension they got at the immigration for that tourist visa run out two days ago.

The employer in Poland really wants to get the Chef into Poland. So, since there is no guarantee that the initially planned Cambodia trip would be successful the new idea is to get another extension of the extension.

I have my doubts here of course I am not sure. There was the time when you could get a seven day extension after the initial 30 day extension of a 60 day tourist visa.

Even if it would cost some money to get the help of some agent they would consider that way.

7 minutes ago, zappalot said:
The employer in Poland really wants to get the Chef into Poland. So, since there is no guarantee that the initially planned Cambodia trip would be successful the new idea is to get another extension of the extension.
I have my doubts here of course I am not sure. There was the time when you could get a seven day extension after the initial 30 day extension of a 60 day tourist visa.

They could apply for a 60 day covid 19 extension at immigration on or before the 24th when the current order for them ends.

• Like 1