Thailand can play important diplomatic role in Ukraine-Russia conflict ahead of APEC

webfact

As with all things in Thailand money trumps everything - the latest from the APEC trade ministers meeting is that the (less than useless) Deputy PM Jurin has been having side meetings with the Russians to try to increase trade.

Far from being "neutral:" it seems that Thailand is taking sides with Russia - because they have more tourists to Thailand than Ukraine and also they are promising more investment - diplomacy be damned.

Thailand is even looking to implement the MIR payment card to get around the financial sanctions imposed by the West.

There is also the matter of large Thai companies who have joint ventures with Russian companies, including a major satellite telecoms company and a large food packager (which I shall not mention as it is very litigious).

While western companies have been pulling out of Russia there is no sign of this on the Thai side, quite the opposite.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SatEng said:

Thailand is even looking to implement the MIR payment card to get around the financial sanctions imposed by the West.

Oh how the turns have tabled. As i said in March and April, the world is coming to realize that dollars, backed by nothing but strong-arming of smaller nations by the US, which turned out pretty toothless to directly fight Russia, can have competition in other currencies. Russian Ruble is backed by natural resources. Thailand needs Russian currency to buy oil and even resell it to those dumb wits in the west who reject this “undemocratic aggressive” oil, pocketing good commissions in the process. Yay for Thailand!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, anchadian said:

Thailand ready to boost trade with Russia to $10 billion: Jurin

Thailand and Russia are ready to boost bilateral trade to US$10 billion next year, Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said on Saturday.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/40015809

The Thai government demonstrate once again that they are horrible, self centred, conniving bastards. They truly are without any redeeming features

Thailand is morally bankrupt and I really hope the world takes note and remembers...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

"Thailand can play important diplomatic role in Ukraine-Russia conflict ahead of APEC"

Not quite as intended ????

Japan, U.S., Australia walk out of APEC meeting in protest of Russia

Canada, New Zealand also join move at trade minister conference in Bangkok

I bet they didn t miss much by sparing themselves the 5min mouth-f@rting from the russian envoy, repeating another set of distorted lies and telling the world that russia is the victim of aggression and acting in self-defence, while their red buddies nodding eagerly. Just a sad clown show.

• Like 1

The Ruble is very strong right now.  As long as the Ruble is strong Thailand will welcome Russia with open arms.  

Russian oil is very strong. I have read a few saying it will see a huge influx in investment dollars.

So far the sanctions that were put in place are not working against the Ruble.

Curious to see the outcome.

Also America is heading into a rescission, stocks are tanking and trillions are being lost. 

Personally if living in that part of the world I would be putting together an exit strategy.

Edited by garyk

1 hour ago, garyk said:

The Ruble is very strong right now.  As long as the Ruble is strong Thailand will welcome Russia with open arms.  

Russian oil is very strong. I have read a few saying it will see a huge influx in investment dollars.

So far the sanctions that were put in place are not working against the Ruble.

Curious to see the outcome.

Also America is heading into a rescission, stocks are tanking and trillions are being lost. 

Personally if living in that part of the world I would be putting together an exit strategy.

Sitting on a pile or even mountain-load of RUBs is doing you nigh to no good, when there is almost no place worth going and noone willing to exchange it for any services, products or currency, no matter if you ll get 60 or 120 RUBs for an USD, or whatever they decide to artificially peg and prop the RUB up to. You may want to ask the poor sods who still got Evraz or Gazprom shares in their ports, frozen and banned from trade since 2 months now. As for recession; since all stockmarkets are going down the drain, on a global level, and further clawing each other down in a ripple effect, I d be keen to understand which alternatives you d suggest. Please spare me with crypto's, precious metals or the chinese stocks, whose indices already tanked worse than the US this year and are stuttering from one low to the next, as the zero-covid measures force city upon city into perpetual lockdown. So? what is your hedging bet? buying triple leveraged commodities ETPs e.g. oil at maxed out prices? US or even russian treasury bonds? sporting bets? THB or just stock up on MamCup noodles with almost eternal shelf-life and hope that you can sell them at inflation-adjusted value in a few years? I am happy to be enlighted and keen to learn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JPHa said:
2 hours ago, JPHa said:

Sitting on a pile or even mountain-load of RUBs is doing you nigh to no good, when there is almost no place worth going and noone willing to exchange it for any services, products or currency, no matter if you ll get 60 or 120 RUBs for an USD, or whatever they decide to artificially peg and prop the RUB up to. You may want to ask the poor sods who still got Evraz or Gazprom shares in their ports, frozen and banned from trade since 2 months now. As for recession; since all stockmarkets are going down the drain, on a global level, and further clawing each other down in a ripple effect, I d be keen to understand which alternatives you d suggest. Please spare me with crypto's, precious metals or the chinese stocks, whose indices already tanked worse than the US this year and are stuttering from one low to the next, as the zero-covid measures force city upon city into perpetual lockdown. So? what is your hedging bet? buying triple leveraged commodities ETPs e.g. oil at maxed out prices? US or even russian treasury bonds? sporting bets? THB or just stock up on MamCup noodles with almost eternal shelf-life and hope that you can sell them at inflation-adjusted value in a few years? I am happy to be enlighted and keen to learn.

Poor baby, are you loosing in the market.. haha

I never give advice what so ever. But, what I am doing is buying slowly as it drops. I started a few days ago.

But, pretty conservative. S&P fund, and some blue chip stocks. I am a firm believer in the US stock market. I don't know enough about other countries to invest. 

Edited by garyk

Just now, garyk said:

Poor baby, are you loosing in the market.. haha

oh my! you are one of THESE people... I should have known when reading your initial post that you are maybe the wrong one to provide a proper reply when asked to backup your statement; confusing sarcasm or quippiness as a sign of intelligence instead of backing up claims with a proper statement... well, we re all entitled to an opinion and even voice it as such, so if that is your best, fine by me :))

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JPHa said:

oh my! you are one of THESE people... I should have known when reading your initial post that you are maybe the wrong one to provide a proper reply when asked to backup your statement; confusing sarcasm or quippiness as a sign of intelligence instead of backing up claims with a proper statement... well, we re all entitled to an opinion and even voice it as such, so if that is your best, fine by me :))

I thought I explained myself pretty good. What do you not understand?

Tell me your strategy?  Or do you not have one?

Poor baby

To tell you the truth I respect anyone with a plan. I also respect people that execute the plan. Whether right or wrong.  

Edited by garyk

2 hours ago, garyk said:

I am a firm believer in the US stock market. I don't know enough about other countries to invest. 

From years back I own two foreign stocks.. One is a car, and parts manufacturer and one is Walmart Mexico. Both dividend paying. Both have paid dividends without fail for years. I also own a revenue driven fund that invests in foreign stocks some. Also been paying me for years without fail.

But, as of the last few years I have not bought any foreign stocks of any kind.  And don't intend to.......

Edited by garyk