How to change from O-A to O

I obtained a retirement visa O-A in 2014 and have extended it each year. I have just returned on a visa exempt as my retirement extension was due in March but I was not able to return from England  until last week. My question is should I renew my O-A extension or should I apply for an Retirement O visa to avoid future insurance requirements. If so how do I do it? I thank everyone who answers 

Edited by musicscene
Missed out the question

As a long term Non O-A who also would like to change to a Non O based on retirement I have a question.. I was under the impression you had to enter as a tourist then apply for a retirement non-o here in Thailand.. and this could not be done unless you enter from overseas as a tourist.. has this rule been changed? I would be very appreciative of some guidance on this. I know in Phuket they automatically changed long term O-As to Os.. but I am in Chiangmai they do things differently here.

23 minutes ago, OzinThai said:

. I was under the impression you had to enter as a tourist then apply for a retirement non-o here in Thailand

You can enter with a tourist OR visa exempt and apply for non O marriage or retirement (if you meet the requirements) at immigration in Thailand. 

Just be aware that to apply for your non O retirement you need apply with 15+ days remaining on your permission of stay. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, OzinThai said:

As a long term Non O-A who also would like to change to a Non O based on retirement I have a question.. I was under the impression you had to enter as a tourist then apply for a retirement non-o here in Thailand.. and this could not be done unless you enter from overseas as a tourist.. has this rule been changed? I would be very appreciative of some guidance on this. I know in Phuket they automatically changed long term O-As to Os.. but I am in Chiangmai they do things differently here.

You could enter visa exempt or with a tourist visa and apply for a non-o visa at immigration. Or you could also apply for a non-o visa at e embassy or consulate.

If married to a Thai you could apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage that does not require the insurance.

Phuket doses not do a change to a non-o visa from a OA. They waive the insurance for those that got their non-oa visa several year ago.

• Like 2

It is not necessary to deposit 800.000.-THB in a bank!

Also the proof of an income of monthly 65.000.-THB is enough!

This can be pensions, income from renting or leasing, etc.!

Also an income mix is possible!

Example income annually 600.000.-THB then 200.000.-THB must still lie on the bank!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Careful what you post -

To get the 90 day Non O visa in Thailand you must have 800K in bank. When you apply for 12 month extension you can go the 65K monthly deposit showing 12 month of deposits.

Added note...some immigration offices do not accept combination method (income + funds in bank) so folk need to be aware of what their particular immigration office accept. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You can enter with a tourist OR visa exempt and apply for non O marriage or retirement (if you meet the requirements) at immigration in Thailand. 

Just be aware that to apply for your non O retirement you need apply with 15+ days remaining on your permission of stay. 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You could enter visa exempt or with a tourist visa and apply for a non-o visa at immigration. Or you could also apply for a non-o visa at e embassy or consulate.

If married to a Thai you could apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage that does not require the insurance.

Phuket doses not do a change to a non-o visa from a OA. They waive the insurance for those that got their non-oa visa several year ago.

Thanks Joe 

4 minutes ago, Richard 2020 said:

Have lived here for more than 30 years now and never had 800,000THB in the bank!

That's all very nice for folk from countries that have their embassies provide income letter. 

The OP is from UK.

Three countries that do not have the option of income letter are UK, USA, AU. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/19/2022 at 3:21 PM, DrJack54 said:

You can obtain a non O retirement at immigration office.

You need 800k in your Thai bank account on day you apply.

On 5/20/2022 at 10:00 AM, EVENKEEL said:

To get the 90 day Non O visa in Thailand you must have 800K in bank.

@musicscene - please note, however, that, according to @ubonjoe in this 2017 thread, you will need to provide evidence that the 800k originated from abroad in the case of non-O conversions for retirement. Not needed in the case of subsequent annual retirement extensions, though.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, OJAS said:

,.... you will need to provide evidence that the 800k originated from abroad in the case of non-O conversions for retirement

If the funds have been in Thai bank for "some period" the funds do not need to be shown to originate from abroad.

Added note the OP heading is changing from non O-A.....

Presumably funds have  been in bank already for extensions from non O-A

Edited by DrJack54

On 5/20/2022 at 10:30 AM, DrJack54 said:

Please report back with info about the process and how it went. 

Had a pm this morning someone applying for non O marriage.

The io wanted activity in the account on day of application.

Suggest you make a 100baht deposit at same time as applying for bank letter. 

Yes I will report what happens. I have had 800,000 baht on a deposit account for many years but as a precaution I will do as you suggest and withdraw some of the accrued interest. Thanks again 

• Like 2

On 5/20/2022 at 10:30 AM, DrJack54 said:

Please report back with info about the process and how it went. 

Had a pm this morning someone applying for non O marriage.

The io wanted activity in the account on day of application.

Suggest you make a 100baht deposit at same time as applying for bank letter. 

Went on Wednesday and my application was refused. My exempt visa was renewed for another 30 days. The reason being that the 800,000baht has been in my account for many years and they need proof of 800000b being transferred from abroad within the last year or maximum two years. I am now trying to obtain a bank statement to show transfers from England amounting to 800000b which I transferred for living expenses I will keep you posted. If you have any suggestions please let me know 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, musicscene said:

The reason being that the 800,000baht has been in my account for many years and they need proof of 800000b being transferred from abroad within the last year or maximum two years

That is very disappointing and imo unfair.

Which immigration office? 

Hopefully you can obtain records of transfers from abroad.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That is very disappointing and imo unfair.

Which immigration office? 

Hopefully you can obtain records of transfers from abroad.

It’s the Hua Hin immigration. I am going to try to get the information but it’s not easy. I will keep you posted. It’s also worth all long term retirees to be aware of this problem. It is interesting to know if anyone else has had the same problem 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, musicscene said:

It’s the Hua Hin immigration. I am going to try to get the information but it’s not easy. I will keep you posted. It’s also worth all long term retirees to be aware of this problem. It is interesting to know if anyone else has had the same problem 

So the deposit i made 10 years ago of 800,000 baht and have been using  every year to extend my Retirement extension  will no longer be used unless i can show proof of my source of funds........

They really dont want us around.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Marky Mark Mark said:

They really dont want us around.

Thats not it....  it seems that in HH more than any other location they [Immigration] definitely want you around... you [foreign retirees] are a vital source of income... Now.. If only there was a way to force you to use an agent who will share their payment with the nice helpful people at Immigration.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Marky Mark Mark said:

So the deposit i made 10 years ago of 800,000 baht and have been using  every year to extend my Retirement extension  will no longer be used unless i can show proof of my source of funds...

No. Your situation is all good.

The guy you quoted is obtaining a non O visa.

Proof that the funds came from abroad is not required for extensions.

It is required for applying for non O retirement.

Generally if those funds have been in bank for some period of time it's accepted and does not require proof it came from abroad.

Immigration in his case required it. 

In my recent experience at CW the IO initial response was that proof of funds from abroad was required. I had bank books, (prior and current), showing I maintained the required funds for a number of years. 

It was not until the IO flicked through my passport and noted previous extensions of stay of my prior O-A. From then on it was all good

17 hours ago, musicscene said:

Went on Wednesday and my application was refused. My exempt visa was renewed for another 30 days. The reason being that the 800,000baht has been in my account for many years and they need proof of 800000b being transferred from abroad within the last year or maximum two years. I am now trying to obtain a bank statement to show transfers from England amounting to 800000b which I transferred for living expenses I will keep you posted. If you have any suggestions please let me know 

I thing they would be quite happy to except your bank balance, if you were using an agent.. Maybe an Immigration friendly agent??

Very disappointed that the OP hit this stumbling block.

I plan to dump my OA retirement extension ( leave without a re-entry permit) on a uk trip in aug/sept and return visa exempt to go the O visa and subsequent retirement extension of.

Like the op I have maintained more than 800k in the bank for several years ( since 2016 ) but doubt if I have transferred that amount within the last year.

Thanks to @musicscenefor bringing this to our attention, I expect there will be many looking to dump their OA extension now the travel restrictions are easing and especially with the impending rise in mandatory health insurance coverage.

In my case i will visit my IO ( Ayutthaya ) to see if they have a list of requirements for applying for an O visa but also check if i have proof my most recent transfers came from oseas.

I am American and plan to return in one month for 7 month stay but the LMG quote (I am 72) has huge deductibles and many exclusions at 36,700 b (12 months). Sending over 800,000b is not a problem but I worry that since I had O-A visas from 2006-2020 that they will insist on insurance when I go for first extension in Bangkok. Is this a valid concern ?  As an aside has anyone found reasonably priced insurance in USA that is acceptable for new O-A visa ?