Can a minor get a sim card by himself?

I would assume that as soon as the person has a Thai ID card they can register a pre-paid number in their name which they can top up and purchase an internet package.

If you are talking about a post-paid contract, then I know that it's definitely possible at 18, not sure if it's also possible if the person is younger than that.

The person I am trying to help out already has a pre-paid plan which is ungodly expensive. He's a minor and has a phone and a SIM that belongs to his bedridden grandmother - his only guardian. When he told me how much he usually pays to "recharge" his plan at the beginning of each month, I almost fell out of my chair. Over 750 baht per month?!  I went to True Move website and see that postpaid plans are billed based on usage.  I guess he is a heavy user.  I asked him why he doesn't just get an unlimited postpaid plan. He is only 15 but I think he is going to have to grow up fast since his only legal guardian can't get out of the house. 

Why do people even get pre-paid plans if they are so much more expensive? My postpaid DTAC plan is only about 400 per month.

1 hour ago, phaholyothin said:

Over 750 baht per month?! 

Strange. You have to question what he pays for.

Guess it's about internet/data usage?

If he is not depending on his current number (maye he is due to LINE or the like?) then he could simply buy a new SIM with a monthly or yearly internet flat rate.

I just bought me online a second SIM from DTAC for 1390 Baht, valid for one year, 15 Mbit/s internet with no capping, 60 minutes phone calls per month to all networks.

At local phone shops you get DTAC SIMs with the same feature costing 200 Baht/month. Those require monthly top-up to keep alive.

A 15 year old definitely has an ID card and can register a SIM in his name.

True and AIS tend to be more expensive for such monthly/yearly packages.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I just bought me online a second SIM from DTAC for 1390 Baht, valid for one year, 15 Mbit/s internet with no capping, 60 minutes phone calls per month to all networks.

A second SIM? Does this mean it piggy-backs off your first SIM?  A way to share your plan with another person?

49 minutes ago, phaholyothin said:

A second SIM?

No it's a second SIM in a dual SIM phone.

Many but not all phones offer this feature.

You can then setup that SIM2 is used for internet/data e.g.

If he has a dual SIM phone he could use this.

200 Baht/month (even less) for internet flatrate (4, 10, 15, 20... Mbit/s) and leave the True SIM for calls, use as little as possible.

Best take him with his phone to one of the many shops in the supermarkets or IT malls etc. and ask for cheapest way to go.

Dual SIM as I have it in my phone:

dual_sim.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1