Insurance for Non-Immigrant O (as opposed to O-A)

Hello, I'm applying for a Non-Immigrant O retirement visa instead of an O-A because the requirements have become impossible to meet in my home country (Germany). I've asked AXA for an insurance quote for 90 days instead of a year and got 14k Baht. That seems a bit steep to me so does anyone know companies offering a better deal with the required 400k / 40k coverage?

5 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

My non O does not require Insurance, but I have health cover here which also includes accident and lump sum death cover. I am also told it covers me for Covid.

I am sure you have a extension of stay not a valid not a non-o visa.

The discussion is about applying for a single entry non-o visa based upon retirement at a embassy or consulate.

17 hours ago, RaduAlex said:

That seems a bit steep to me so does anyone know companies offering a better deal with the required 400k / 40k coverage?

You don't need that.

Only insurance requirement is covid 10k cover for 30 days.

Do you have an existing Thai bank account? 

Your option is to obtain a non O retirement from outside of Thailand or just enter visa exempt and obtain the non O retirement at immigration. 

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You don't need that.

Only insurance requirement is covid 10k cover for 30 days.

It is certainly required to apply for a non-o visa based upon retirement at a embassy or official consulate.

"2.6 Applicant must be medically insured for the entire period of stay in Thailand with the following coverage:
– Outpatient benefit with a sum insured of not less than 40,000 THB, and
– Inpatient benefit with a sum insured of not less than  400,000 THB"

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/17/nonoretirement/

Some have changed it to the new $100,000 insurance requirement for a Non-OA visa.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is certainly required to apply for a non-o visa based upon retirement at a embassy or official consulate

Yes correct.

Brain switch off mode here.

In that case as per one of your suggestions if it were me then visa exempt entry pathway better option imo.

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

n that case as per one of your suggestions if it were me then visa exempt entry pathway better option imo.

Yes

It is mostly embassies and official consulate in persons home country that are requiring it to push people to OA visas.

Others may not have it as a requirement. Savannakhet for example does not require it.

• Thanks 1

On your suggestion I inquired at LNG and received a quote for 6k on a 200k deductible which is less than half of what AXA offers for a 3-month-period. I'm just not sure if I can use a Longstay insurance if I'm applying for Non-O retirement. Non-0 requires a coverage of 90 days because that is the maximum time you're allowed on a single entry. So if I purchase insurance for long-stay, the embassy might ask why I'm not applying for O-A (which has become insanely difficult on E-Visa). This is indeed for applying from abroad. I can also enter on visa exempt and arrange it via a visa service in Thailand, but that costs 20k for the first 3 months and then 16k for the year extension.

8 minutes ago, RaduAlex said:

On your suggestion I inquired at LNG and received a quote for 6k on a 200k deductible which is less than half of what AXA offers for a 3-month-period. I'm just not sure if I can use a Longstay insurance if I'm applying for Non-O retirement. Non-0 requires a coverage of 90 days because that is the maximum time you're allowed on a single entry. So if I purchase insurance for long-stay, the embassy might ask why I'm not applying for O-A (which has become insanely difficult on E-Visa). This is indeed for applying from abroad. I can also enter on visa exempt and arrange it via a visa service in Thailand, but that costs 20k for the first 3 months and then 16k for the year extension.

is this for retirement non Imm O? the 20k and 16k you quote look wrong. Arriving visa exempt as suggested seems the best option

Edited by scubascuba3

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Arriving visa exempt as suggested seems the best option

Since I stayed during CoVid on a Volunteer visa (on suggestion by immigration themselves), I'm not sure if I would be admitted on visa exempt although I technically fulfill the requirements.

This may need a new thread

It concerns new insurance requirements for Non O-A (as opposed to the Non - O visa discussed above). 

My insurance company has contacted me concerning renewal of my existing policy (covering 400,000 inpatient and 40,000 outpatient with 200,000 baht deductible per time per treatment) with the suggestion that I switch to the new $100,000 insurance requirement ubonjoe mentions.

I can not find any guidance on the Thai Immigration website about when the new levels come into effect - is there any? 

ubonjoe says above that some have changed it to the new $100,000 insurance requirement for a Non-OA visa. Does anyone know what Lak Si requires to extend Non O-A permission to stay?

Thanks v much

Many thanks 

14 minutes ago, 503726 said:

I can not find any guidance on the Thai Immigration website about when the new levels come into effect - is there any? 

Immigration has not announced anything about it yet or changed the immigration order for extensions of stay.

The insurance requirement starts on September 1st. Info is here on the TGIA website. 

https://longstay.tgia.org/guidelineoa

14 minutes ago, 503726 said:

ubonjoe says above that some have changed it to the new $100,000 insurance requirement for a Non-OA visa. Does anyone know what Lak Si requires to extend Non O-A permission to stay?

Laksi does not do longstay extensions. They are still done at Chaeng Wattana.

Bangkok immigration is still using the existing rules for extensions of stay for a OA visa. 

I am 62 years old. I bought LMG with 200,000 deductible for 7,700 baht per year.  The deductible does not apply to the 40,000 baht outpatient insurance.  I went to hospital on an outpatient basis and the hospital accepted my out patient LMG insurance and did not make me pay more than 21 baht for the first visa and zero baht for the second visit including medications. I am very happy with LMG and will renew with them for a larger insurance amount in the future. Only downside is they only cover you inside Thailand so need traveling insurance when you visit other countries.   

Edited by Wake Up
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RaduAlex said:

I just got my 90 day Non O  E- Visa abroad. Health insurance was required for application - the Embassy instructions can be confusing its written "health coverage for the duration of stay ( 1 year )" even though its a 90 day Visa and can be extended yearly after. Try calling the Embassy and ask if 90 day health coverage is acceptable for the 90 day Non O. I had valid existing insurance from a previous O-A.....

I will probably go with LMG as their one-year coverage is more than half cheaper than what AXA offered for 90 days. It should be good for the one-year renewal provided that the conditions don't change in the interim. Given my experience here in Germany, I will renew from inside Thailand from then on, as E-Visa has turned the process much more difficult.

On 5/25/2022 at 9:47 AM, ubonjoe said:

It is certainly required to apply for a non-o visa based upon retirement at a embassy or official consulate.

"2.6 Applicant must be medically insured for the entire period of stay in Thailand with the following coverage:
– Outpatient benefit with a sum insured of not less than 40,000 THB, and
– Inpatient benefit with a sum insured of not less than  400,000 THB"

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/17/nonoretirement/

Some have changed it to the new $100,000 insurance requirement for a Non-OA visa.

Is this health Insurance required too to apply for a 90 days Non O visa based upon retirement at a Immigration Office in Thailand ? Thank you

21 minutes ago, PETERHOF said:

Is this health Insurance required too to apply for a 90 days Non O visa based upon retirement at a Immigration Office in Thailand ?

Insurance is not required.

On 5/24/2022 at 11:13 AM, ubonjoe said:

Check with LMG. They offer policies with a large deductible that reduces the cost. 

https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/Products/Pages/Universal-Longstayvisa.aspx

To avoid the insurance requirement you could enter visa exempt on a tourist visa or visa extemp and apply for the non-o visa at immigration.

This Page has been down "404"  since last week and the relatively favorable terms 100k-200k deductible OPD/IPD for 440k/40k
can no longer be found.
Only the new rates from 3 million coverage limit without price list ...

35 minutes ago, sathornlover said:

This Page has been down "404"  since last week and the relatively favorable terms 100k-200k deductible OPD/IPD for 440k/40k
can no longer be found.

It was working a week ago when I posted it.

I found this page on their website. https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/health-universal-series-visa-o-a

The link I posted is on this page that lists the companies for non-oa visas. https://longstay.tgia.org/companiesoa

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sathornlover said:

can no longer be found.
Only the new rates from 3 million coverage limit without price list ...

I use LMG for my health insurance ( retirement extension from original OA visa ) and contact this lady by email with queries regarding my policy and renewal etc.

She responds quickly and in clear English language.

Kannika Tepbootrdee

[email protected]

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2022 at 9:11 AM, DPKANKAN said:

My non O does not require Insurance,

Sorry if this has been covered--but I get somewhat confused at times.

I have a Non O visa want to go to Lao's next month for a few days-- Other than my Vaccination certificates  (& Passport) do I need anything else going?

Returning am I exempt from buying Insurance on returning to Thailand?

Thanks...from a Dimwit

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I use LMG for my health insurance ( retirement extension from original OA visa ) and contact this lady by email with queries regarding my policy and renewal etc.

She responds quickly and in clear English language.

Kannika Tepbootrdee

[email protected]

Thank you for the answer.
I had already inquired last week via the website contact form and given email address of the  brochure and did not receive a reply until today.
Then contacted the email addresses from the "Participating Namelist and Contact list" today and actually received a response after 2 hours.

I was offered a brochure and only the new 100K USD coverage.
It seems that you have to explicitly ask for the "old" and still valid(?) 40K/440K offers, although I pointed out when I asked that I would like to extend my stay in June.
What I did immediately and I am now waiting for an answer ...

These are the prices of the new 100K USD coverage, from the so called  "Elite Series for Long Stay VISA O-A with Deductible":

2085060174_LMG100KUSD.png.83c4f6687ee8671fe08f6fff397eaa3b.png

Brochure -Long Stay VISA 100K USD.pdf NEW.PDF

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

I have a Non O visa want to go to Lao's next month for a few days-- Other than my Vaccination certificates  (& Passport) do I need anything else going?

Returning am I exempt from buying Insurance on returning to Thailand?

You will need a Thailand Pass to enter the country ant  it requires you to prove $10,000 of insurance coverage for covid 19. Thirty days of insurance will be enough. 

Select land travel here for info about the Thailand Pass application. https://tp.consular.go.th/

Don't forget your re-entry permit if you are on a extension of stay (it is not a visa).

• Like 1