Parts Shortages Impact Thai Auto Industry

webfact

image.jpeg

by Paul Rujopakarn

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) has confirmed that scarcity of parts caused by the Russia-Ukraine conflict and lockdown measures in China continued to impact Thailand’s automobile industry in April.

FTI Vice President and Spokesperson Surapong Paisitpattanapong reported that the production, local sales, and export of cars and motorcycles decreased by 31.79% in April compared to March, due to a shortage of parts that caused manufacturers to delay production.

Surapong revealed that the total number of vehicles manufactured last month was 117,786, while total vehicles produced in the first quarter was 597,864 - an increase of 4.85 percent year-on-year.

Despite the fact that this year’s situation is better than last year’s, when the pandemic was at its peak, Surapong said the protracted conflict in Ukraine and lockdown crisis in China have disrupted the global supply chain.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

In April, 63,427 units were sold domestically - a decrease of 27.30% compared to March but an increase of 9.11% compared to the same month last year due to the easing of restrictions and the conclusion of the Bangkok International Motor Show on April 3.

According to the FTI, sales of 294,616 automobiles and 569,992 motorcycles increased by 16.79% and 0.12%, respectively, from the same period last year.

The FTI spokesperson said the government’s support program has played a major role in increasing electric vehicle registrations by 145.31% in the first quarter compared to the same period last year.

Surapong added that the agency will continue to closely monitor the situation, as there are still concerns that the rise in oil prices and a weaker baht will increase the cost of goods and household debt, thereby reducing consumers’ purchasing power.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-05-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) has confirmed that scarcity of parts caused by the Russia-Ukraine conflict and lockdown measures in China continued to impact Thailand’s automobile industry in April.

BS

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Why do you think this is BS?

Show your sources that show otherwise.

The Ukraine manufactures auto parts for the supply to the Western market.

As far as I'm aware they do not export for the Asian market or car models, they are supplied by Asian companies.

Chinas "lockdown" extends to people not goods.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

As far as I'm aware they do not export for the Asian market or car models, they are supplied by Asian companies.

As far as I'm aware

Exactly

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

At least I'm being positive rather than negative.

No, you are being wrong.

There is a worldwide shortage of new vehicles and the main reason for this is because of the shortage of parts coming out of China.

I have worked in the Auto trade in Thailand (pick-up accessories) for 21 years and this is our worst year in sales since I have been here.

Our dealers worldwide inform us that are currently unable to order our product range, as they do not have any new vehicle's in their markets to fit them to.

In all honesty, I do not know what impact the Ukraine situation is having on the market but the lack of parts coming out of China is a fact and it is having a massive impact on the global auto market.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

FTM reduced production due to China supplied parts delaying deliveries of New Ranger to Australia.

36 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

There is a worldwide shortage of new vehicles and the main reason for this is because of the shortage of parts coming out of China.

Yes, absolutely no "Thai" problem.

Extreme problems to get chips for the gadget filled cars is about the main cause.

And this started long before the Ukraine war.

The crazy draconic Chinese measures are dragging down world trade in multiple areas.

Wring harnesses from Ukraine is probably a minor facet.

In Germany prices for used cars are as high as never before.

Risen 20% to 30% over the year.

Some used cars can make more money than the list price of an equivalent new car.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Yes but if the workers are locked down, there is nobody in the factories to manufacture the goods, nobody to operate/maintain the machines, no drivers to deliver them to distributors, ports etc.

Shortage of parts from China is a very real thing right now, and not just Auto parts. IT hardware also.