Texas governor: 15 killed in school shooting; gunman dead

Scott

1 hour ago, candide said:

also did not find mention of your other claim that a quarter of teenagers are on psychotropic drug.

Was in the link. 

Actually most teenagers are taking psychotropic substances, as caffeine and nicotine are included. 

42 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When comparing nations considered ‘developed’ the US stats for ‘gun related deaths per 100,000 of population’ are an utter atrocity....  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate#

US compared to the next 35 ‘developed’ nations.. Gun ownership vs deaths. 

2019_Gun_ownership_rates_and_gun_homicide_rates_-_developed_world_-_scatter_plot.png

I'll admit, that's a pretty glaring graphic; one I'll have to give some serious thought to, before responding...........

I will say this, though, even though it will likely open me up to considerable ridicule and disdain.......... 

I'm not a huge fan of making huge social and societal changes.............. to save the lives of 3.5 people per 100,000 (roughly the difference between their numbers and ours.) Because that's all it is on that graph........... a difference of about 3.5 per 100,000. The layout makes it look more dramatic than that, but that's all it is. That's just not that many! 

After all, we're talking about deaths. How much, then, may be related to access emergency medical care, rather than a consequence of the gun shot itself?

Is it possible there is such a big statistical discrepancy between them and us........... because access to emergency care is so much better in those other countries? Is that possible ........... RATHER THAN......... there being a dramatic difference in how many people get shot?

I dunno! 

But wouldn't that be really important to know............ BEFORE turning our whole society upside down? After all, it's only 3.5 people per 100,000. That small a number could  very well be a medical care difference........... rather than a getting-shot difference! 

And isn't the medical care in all those countries supposed to be so much better than ours? ????????????

Anyway....... as you can see......... I've got to do some serious pondering before I can properly address that graphic, somewhat shocking though it appears at first glance!

Cheers! 

7 minutes ago, Wagga said:

Same same  ????

Not same.

They are a minority party that has embraced autocracy and have seized minority rule.

Particularly on the supreme court where they stole two lifetime slots which means far right wing dominance against the will if the people for several decades.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, SatEng said:

The problem with your callous "after all its only 3.5 people per 100,000" is that it includes the preventable murder of small children

By condoning the status quo and not wanting to take any action on gun control you are saying you are OK with recurring mass school shootings and the murder of children - it is just for you a price worth paying for you to enjoy your :"freedom": to own guns

Let me just repeat that for clarity - KanchanburiGuy is OK with children being murdered and wants it to inevitably continue 

Callous is the word.  To some people,  other people are unimportant.  "Gun rights" on the other hand are the be all and end all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

I'll admit, that's a pretty glaring graphic; one I'll have to give some serious thought to, before responding...........

I will say this, though, even though it will likely open me up to considerable ridicule and disdain.......... 

I'm not a huge fan of making huge social and societal changes.............. to save the lives of 3.5 people per 100,000 (roughly the difference between their numbers and ours.) Because that's all it is on that graph........... a difference of about 3.5 per 100,000. The layout makes it look more dramatic than that, but that's all it is. That's just not that many! 

After all, we're talking about deaths. How much, then, may be related to access emergency medical care, rather than a consequence of the gun shot itself?

Is it possible there is such a big statistical discrepancy between them and us........... because access to emergency care is so much better in those other countries? Is that possible ........... RATHER THAN......... there being a dramatic difference in how many people get shot?

I dunno! 

But wouldn't that be really important to know............ BEFORE turning our whole society upside down? After all, it's only 3.5 people per 100,000. That small a number could  very well be a medical care difference........... rather than a getting-shot difference! 

And isn't the medical care in all those countries supposed to be so much better than ours? ????????????

Anyway....... as you can see......... I've got to do some serious pondering before I can properly address that graphic, somewhat shocking though it appears at first glance!

Cheers! 

So if some one would shoot you it would be ok because it is in the margin.

cheers.

Edited by jvs
  • Like 2

Numerous off-topic, troll, inflammatory posts and memes have been removed.  Please stay on topic.  Wars in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and Ukraine are really not relevant to the topic.  

Please refrain from making generalized comments toward all Americans (or any other nationality). 

6 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Afghanistan, Iraq, and Vietnam. 

Or perhaps you'd like to explain why you think we hahaha WON in those severely imbalanced conflicts, instead, hmmm? 

Public and political opinion.... 

6 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Funny. Along with my statements, I gave examples of how they have already been proven true. But you ignored d those. Why is that? 

(Shhh, nevermind. I already know why! ????????????)

Because the quotes were flawed and removed from full context, one which is not relevant to automatic weapons and nutters kidding school children... as such not worth responding to....  the same reason I shouldn’t have responded above to your comment that you believe the US lost the war against, Afghan, Iraq, Vietnam....     the objectives and political goals were far more complex...   But ultimately US troops pulled out more because of public and political opinion than for any other reason. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

So it was not in the previous document you linked. And now you want me to lose again my time scrutinizing a scientific study in order to find out whether your assertion is in it or not? Really?

Cite what confirms your previous statement in this study or stop trolling!

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The number of gun deaths has increased year on year, at no point has the total gun deaths in the USA declined - this is a growing problem.

occam's razor - more nutters with access to guns = more deaths... it really is that simple. 

This.

Police narrative on Texas school shooting in question as new details emerge

The official account of what happened during a shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, is under scrutiny following the reporting of new details...

However, the Associated Press reported late Wednesday that police waited outside the school for at least 40 minutes while parents and onlookers urged them to do something.

“Let’s just rush in because the cops aren’t doing anything like they are supposed to,” Javier Cazares, whose daughter Jacklyn was killed in the attack, told the AP. “More could have been done.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-narrative-on-texas-school-shooting-in-question-as-new-details-emerge-132129728.html

5 minutes ago, bendejo said:

My view on Ted Cruz and abortion is that his mother should have had one.  :w00t:

Oh, and he's a Canadian.  No need to respect that he is a naturalized US citizen, as he has no respect immigrants.

He's universally hated by his senate colleagues including republicans.

Everybody Hates Ted | The New Republic

Everybody Hates Ted

Ted Cruz is so easy to hate that loathing him has become a form of political poetry.

10 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I'm afraid you're right. That sick gun cult will continue to prevent the (mostly) spineless GOP politicians from ever agreeing to any restrictions.

It runs a little deeper.  They take money from the gun lobby, and expect more fat donations over time.  If they denounce the madness not only will they not get any more of their $$$, but they will be targeted for defamation, death threats from the rabid patriots, horse's head in their bed, etc.

Something I'm waiting for:  a politician who took their $$$ and then drops their support.  Donor takes politician to court for reneging, "we bought your vote fair and square and you didn't deliver."  But this is another topic worthy of its own thread.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bendejo said:

My view on Ted Cruz and abortion is that his mother should have had one.  :w00t:

Oh, and he's a Canadian.  No need to respect that he is a naturalized US citizen, as he has no respect immigrants.

Ted Cruz is a natural born citizen.  He was born in Canada, but his mother was a US citizen.  

I think it's pretty clear by now that there were major errors in the police response and they're trying to cover their blue asses. 

That said, while it's tempting to blame them for those errors, the real blame goes to ridiculously easy access to weapons of mass slaughter and of course the shooter himself.

Also, it's probable that the shooter did most of the killings in the first few minutes which would make the long long delay mostly  a moot point. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think it's pretty clear by now that there were major errors in the police response and they're trying to cover their blue asses. 

That said, while it's tempting to blame them for those errors, the real blame goes to ridiculously easy access to weapons of mass slaughter and of course the shooter himself.

Also, it's probable that the shooter did most of the killings in the first few minutes which would make the long long delay mostly  a moot point. 

You may well be correct, however, one student had this to say from the linked article:

“When the cops came, the cop said, ‘Yell if you need help!’ And one of the persons in my class said ‘help.’ The guy overheard, and he came in and shot her,” said the boy.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The real blame imo goes to every US citizen who is not willing to change this ridiculous

law.

Many more innocent children will be shot before things change,if they ever will.

Blood on the hands of every one who is pro the 2nd amemdment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Al Franken said, after leaving the Senate:  "I like Ted Cruz more than anyone else in Congress, and I hate him!"

Not to belabor the point, but here is a list of the top donors from the gun lobby:

image.png

4 minutes ago, jvs said:

The real blame imo goes to every US citizen who is not willing to change this ridiculous

law.

Many more innocent children will be shot before things change,if they ever will.

Blood on the hands of every one who is pro the 2nd amemdment.

I don't agree with that.

The 2nd amendment isn't the problem per se.

It's the interpretation of that amendment and specific national and local laws.

The supreme court has already ruled that controls on guns are constitutional. 

So it's not necessary to abolish the 2nd (which will never happen) to legislate effective control laws.

Not saying those laws will happen (NRA, minority rule by republicans), but they could happen 2nd amendment or not. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Scott said:

Not to belabor the point, but here is a list of the top donors from the gun lobby:

[ . . . ]

Ah, Marsha Blackburn, the GOP senator from Tennessee who, during the grilling of SCOTUS candidate KBJ a few weeks ago, boldly declared "I care about children!"  Spoken with such bravado as if she was taking a stand in a contested controversy.  Would have liked to have heard someone ask her to double-down on that statement a few days ago. 

Amy Klobuchar is on there, hi Amy!  What, you grovel in the slop for a mere US$4k?  

Old joke time:

A man approaches a woman and asks "would you have sex with me for $10,000?"

The woman looks him up and down for a few seconds, then says "yeah, ok."

The man then asks "would you have sex with me for $10?"

She says "hey, what do you think I am?"

Man replies "we already established what you are, now we're just negotiating the price."

Great job being member of US Congress, you can not only enjoy the feeling of sitting with your thumb up your butt, you can accept bribes for doing so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1