Texas governor: 15 killed in school shooting; gunman dead

Scott

57 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Guns is not the problem, the problem and the solution is to lock up more americans behind the bars! Then you solve the problem. Before than to late

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/uk/06/prisons/html/nn2page1.stm

warning irony 

1C01662A-D50B-49D7-89CE-45A92F085CB9.jpeg

This is not the first time that the U.S. is in very unfavourable company, I think even on this thread.  It seems that the U.S. is on par with the worst of countries in more than one area.  

I used to have fun bashing my American friends for this or that.  All taken in the spirit it was intended.  It doesn't seem funny any more.

• Like 2

I just wonder how many of the people that had bullied the alleged perpetrator lost sisters, brothers, nieces, nephews, cousins, etc. in the rampage. Likely they are unaware that without their bullying this would probably not have happened. 

11 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I just wonder how many of the people that had bullied the alleged perpetrator lost sisters, brothers, nieces, nephews, cousins, etc. in the rampage. Likely they are unaware that without their bullying this would probably not have happened. 

Not clear that he was bullied. Also sorry being bullied is no excuse. There are contrary witnesses saying he cut his own face, tortured animals, and shot a bb gun at strangers from a car. Evil? Insane? Its academic. He shouldn't have had a weapon of war.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Bullying and not felt accepted is a bigger problem than just schools shotings. Im sure Putin agree with you.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Not clear that he was bullied. Also sorry being bullied is no excusem

I guess I have better sources than you do. The perpetrator had a speach impediment and was constantly bullied, to the point he dropped out of school. Give it a day or two and your sources may get to it. Currently their focus is on the political gun control issue and the poor police response.

Also, I never portrayed bullying as an excuse.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I guess I have better sources than you do. The perpetrator had a speach impediment and was constantly bullied, to the point he dropped out of school. Give it a day or two and your sources may get to it. Currently their focus is on the political gun control issue and the poor police response.

Why is it relevant that he had a speech impediment and dropped out of school ?

(Its speech btw, and not "speach")

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why is it relevant that he had a speech impediment and dropped out of school ?

(Its speech btw, and not "speach")

Rejection by society is a common marker for anti-social behavior. The classic case is that of incels, the Proud Boys are notoriously full of them.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-25/incel-alt-right-mens-movement-masculanism-proudboys-milo/10482032

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Rejection by society is a common marker for anti-social behavior. The classic case is that of incels, the Proud Boys are notoriously full of them.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-25/incel-alt-right-mens-movement-masculanism-proudboys-milo/10482032

Anders Berhing Breivik is another one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Behring_Breivik

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I never suggested that he was. Stop deflecting. The issue is social rejection and violence. From the above linked article. You'd do well to actually read articles linked from outside your confirmation biases if you want to understand.

Masculinity is central to the sense of disempowerment driving populism. Any attempt to address the emergence of the new far right must look to the deeper-seated alienation, anxiety and anger motivating many men towards hate and violence.

OK, why are you talking about the Proud boys and the Far right ?

Are you using the deaths of 15 Children to make Political points which are unrelated to the deaths ?

Many Children have died , this isn't the thread to push Left wing ideals and to criticize your political opponents 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gargamon said:

It's relevant because the bullying DUE TO THE SPEECH IMPEDIMENT is why he DROPPED OUT OF SCHOOL.

Yes, but having a speech impediment and dropping out of School isn't an excuse to then murdering 15 innocent Children .

You did seem to be suggesting that that was a resorbable excuse for his actions and IMO , having a speech impediment is not a reason to mass murder  

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

OK, why are you talking about the Proud boys and the Far right ?

Are you using the deaths of 15 Children to make Political points which are unrelated to the deaths ?

Many Children have died , this isn't the thread to push Left wing ideals and to criticize your political opponents 

It's nothing to do with politics and everything to do with violence and the social condition. My purpose in mentioning the Proud Boys is the show the connection between social alienation, common among the proud boys, and social violence. The article I linked shows a very close nexus between alienation and anti-social behavior. Racism is anti-social behavior too. I never suggested that the Proud Boys are right wing voters (although I suggest that's widely accepted) but that they are a widely recognised manifestation of the point I made.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It's nothing to do with politics and everything to do with violence and the social condition. My purpose in mentioning the Proud Boys is the show the connection between social alienation, common among the proud boys, and social violence. The article I linked shows a very close nexus between alienation and anti-social behavior. Racism is anti-social behavior too. I never suggested that the Proud Boys are right wing voters (although I suggest that's widely accepted) but that they are a widely recognised manifestation of the point I made.

Is the shooter a  Proud boy ? a Far right winger? and was this a racist attack?

Is this a racist attack by a Right wing person ?

If not, you are going off topic and spreading your own Political ideology in a thread about murdered Children 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If not, you are going off topic and spreading your own Political ideology in a thread about murdered Children 

You're not getting it. The shooter was motivated by alienation and social rejection and led to violence. The proud boys are motivated by the same forces. The proud boys are not just racist, they are misogynist too which goes along with the incel and anti-social attributes. You seem to want to deny that the proud boys share the same social characteristics as the shooter, NOTHING to do with racism other than that racism is a manifestation of anti-social behavior motivated by the same alienation by society.

It's not just me, the Australian government owned press sees the connection as significant enough to research.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, gargamon said:

No. You have incomplete sources. A friend from boyhood reported him as basically a bad person and a violent bully himself.

His mother who obviously isn't playing with a full deck herself admitted a history of violence.

Now we know exactly how bad and exactly how violent.

Edited by Jingthing

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, but having a speech impediment and dropping out of School isn't an excuse to then murdering 15 innocent Children .

You did seem to be suggesting that that was a resorbable excuse for his actions and IMO , having a speech impediment is not a reason to mass murder  

At no point did I say it wss an excuse. I merely suggested that the people who bullied the perpetrator had a lot to do with the death of their relatives.

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

This wasn't motivated by politics or race. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gargamon said:

At no point did I say it wss an excuse. I merely suggested that the people who bullied the perpetrator had a lot to do with the death of their relatives.

No they didn't.

Texas gun laws did.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The AR-15 .223  bullet is common size among hunting rifles. State laws regulate the magazine capacity for guns. Modified, custom high capacity magazines are available. Handguns use smaller bullet but is the weapon of choice used in a majority of mass shootings. 

So where do you start? And where does it end? Folks know if any one harsh gun law passes it's just the beginning. Again, there's 400 million guns out there.

What game is hunted with a .223?  Back when I hunted it was illegal to use such a small caliber for deer.  Also, why would any hunting rifle need to have a capacity of more than four or five cartridges?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The AR-15 .223  bullet is common size among hunting rifles. State laws regulate the magazine capacity for guns. Modified, custom high capacity magazines are available. Handguns use smaller bullet but is the weapon of choice used in a majority of mass shootings. 

So where do you start? And where does it end? Folks know if any one harsh gun law passes it's just the beginning. Again, there's 400 million guns out there.

Can you link that claim about most mass shootings being the weapon of choice in the majority of mass shootings please?

Why are American kids so prone to going on shooting rampages ?

Unfortunately  bullying, social isolation and speech impediments happen to kids the World over .

Why is it that its just American kids who seem to take the option of murdering other school kids ?

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Unfortunately  bullying, social isolation and speech impediments happen to kids the World over .

Why is it that its just American kids who seem to take the option of murdering other school kids ?

Because they can get the guns!

• Like 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Ist isn't. You correctly state that this is a problem world wide.  So why is it that American kids are the ones making the news? I don't think it needs to be explained any further, the reasons have been thrashed out ad nauseum. In a word, guns.