Monkeypox Test Device Expected in 2 Weeks

snoop1130

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Monkeypox is not as highly infectious as COVID-19 and a device to test it will be completed in two weeks, according to the head of the Center for Medical Genomics at Ramathibodi Hospital.

Singular?

Nice to know were in safe hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Everyone is susceptible.  SP vax only last 3-5 yrs.  And they stopped giving them when ? ????

image.png.43abcaa882ba5061a509bfb74bfbe877.png

I had a smallpox vaccination in 1978. It was after the disease had been declared extinct, but a lab somewhere let some of their stored samples loose. I was travelling to Italy in the October and needed a smallpox vaccine to get there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Everyone is susceptible.  SP vax only last 3-5 yrs.  And they stopped giving them when ? ????

image.png.43abcaa882ba5061a509bfb74bfbe877.png

You ask: they stopped giving them when? Answer: 1971 in the UK. Hence, why those aged 50 and over are likely to be the most protected. 

A study by the NIH found that the smallpox vaccine provided protection for at least 88 years—which was the longest time since vaccination of any of the people tested. In other words, the original smallpox vaccine is good for life. To say that the smallpox vax of the 1940's to 1970s only lasts 3-5 years is just not correct. 

Dr Breban told the Guardian newspaper: "This outbreak was really waiting to happen. Our immunity level is almost zero. People aged 50 and above are likely to be immune but the rest of us not, so we are very, very susceptible."

There is a new smallpox vax available, though. Maybe this new one has a shorter lifespan, much like the Covid shots.

Edited by Senior Player
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I had a smallpox vaccination in 1978. It was after the disease had been declared extinct, but a lab somewhere let some of their stored samples loose. I was travelling to Italy in the October and needed a smallpox vaccine to get there.

Indeed, some people would have received a smallpox vax in the late 70's as well, though this wasn't nationwide. Myself, I had one when I was born in Paddington hospital, London, in the early 60s and a booster at primary school (what Americans call elementary school, I believe).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Senior Player said:

Professor Neil Mabbott, an immunopathologist from the University of Edinburgh, told the DM over-50s in Britain are the only group protected against monkeypox. "Although the level of immunity will wane in time, smallpox vaccination provides long-lasting protection," he said. This is down to the mass inoculation of the smallpox jab that was phased out in the 1970s as they were deemed no longer necessary because the virus had been beaten into submission. Though this has left the under-50s more susceptible to the virus than those aged over 50 who have been jabbed.

Do what ,I am 66 and never had a smallpox vax ,now my mother now 90 has had the jab as they did in that era.

One thing ,smallpox was declared eradicated in 1980,the only disease to be eradicated by vaccine ,is it a newly made vaccine or is their vaccine  kept in stock just in case .

18 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I had the smallpox jab when young, and as monkeypox seems to be mostly in the gay and bi population, i wont be worrying about it  enough to worry about with covid.

I agree with you. It's nothing to worry about. There have been previous monkeypox outbreaks before in the West that have gone largely unnoticed by the general public until now.

• Like 1