What risk to Thailand as monkeypox spreads across the world?

webfact

image.jpeg

This 2003 electron microscope image shows mature, oval-shaped monkeypox virions, left, and spherical immature virions, right, obtained from a sample of human skin associated with the 2003 prairie dog outbreak. (Cynthia S. Goldsmith, Russell Regner/CDC via AP, File)

Less than a month after it lifted COVID-19 travel restrictions, Thailand is facing the threat of another virus causing outbreaks around the world.

The kingdom is now raising its guard against monkeypox, a disease that has never reached Thai shores but is spreading quickly in Europe, the United States, Australia and the Middle East – important tourism markets for Thailand.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

In the face of this growing threat to public health, the Disease Control Department (DCD) has set up an emergency operations center to monitor the global situation, tighten border controls, and plan for a possible monkeypox outbreak here.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/what-risk-to-thailand-as-monkeypox-spreads-across-the-world/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-05-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, webfact said:

In the face of this growing threat to public health, the Disease Control Department (DCD) has set up an emergency operations center to monitor the global situation, tighten border controls, and plan for a possible monkeypox outbreak here.

A terrible threat..... about 100 cases around the world....US europe and 1 in Australia... 

Close the borders and more restrictions than Covid..Thailand can make of nothing a big thing and big things they don't see until it is too late.....

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/epidemiological-update-monkeypox-outbreak

• Haha 1

There are - according to one of the founders, mr. Asger Aamund, of Bavaria Nordic, the Danish medical company with the only approved monkeypox vaccine - two strains of monkeypox, a mild one with a very low mortality, which is the one that is spreading at the moment, and a quite severe, but rare strain with a mortality up around 10 percent. Normally monkeypox is contagious from animals to humans, but now it's also spreading among humans. The fear is, if the two strains of monkeypox might migrate, or the virus could change to become airborne.

The vaccine is efficient against both strains of monkeypox, and also other strains of pox.

Edited by khunPer

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Best to get the relevant treatments in stock and get ready for when it crosses the Thai border.

Don't delay as you did when Covid arrived.

What happened to the bumpy cow and horse disease that ran through the country a little over a year ago, could that not have been a precursor to monkeypox as far as the animals getting it?

On 5/26/2022 at 2:49 PM, spidermike007 said:

The fear is a distant meteor could come crashing into earth at any time. Or a maniac like Putin could launch a nuclear war. 

Do I lay up awake at night fretting over it? I think many simply do not want to let go of Zombie plague consciousness. I find it ridiculous. 

If you have 2 submarines it is easier to fire missiles at the meteor, honest, believe me, it's the truth.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bangon04 said:

Another media - led frenzy in the western countries.......   good excuse for another virus panic.

Indeed. 

Let it be known [officially] that the end is near. 

Best to get your affairs in order........accumulation and consuming as much as possible in the time that we have left.

Woe.

I was reading the British news,they go on about it spreading then at the end say mostcases were caught at gay assemblys and that the spreaders were people who had attended and that it is mainly in the gay and bisexual community  it is spread mainly by touching the sores, so also if you have had the smallpox jab you are immune  ,in the UK that will be most people over 50  so as i have had the jab  am not gay or bi,i dont think i will worry about it.

• Like 1

Guest truthman

If you've had the smallpox vaccines, you don't need to worry about monkeypox (not to imply that you have to worry about it anyway)

29 minutes ago, truthman said:

If you've had the smallpox vaccines, you don't need to worry about monkeypox (not to imply that you have to worry about it anyway)

The smallpox vaccine is about 85% effective against monkeypox:  

Past data from Africa suggests that the smallpox vaccine is at least 85% effective in preventing monkeypox.

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/clinicians/smallpox-vaccine.html

• Like 1

Monkey pox is nothing new or a growing problem, its just the latest media and health scare hype to focus on  and part of this new and disgusting control cycle we are going to see being ramped up this decade.

If you pay attn to the scaremonger threats and "experts " claims of whats coming...pandemic after pandemic blah blah blah  you should realise this is all being engineered as continuing excuses to keep people in constant fear and disruption of living normally as before. Rolled out in tandem with other control methods  tech and changing policies most govs have already signed up to.. their job is to scare their populations into accepting ever more draconian controls.

Universal media stories, simultaneous statements,  key words and slogansa being used by the usual control freaks globally should make it laughable but there are plenty just waiting for the next current thing to panic over... and TPTB will use it to the max if the people allow it.. This should be all too obvious by now.. agenda 2030 is a real goal  not a myth. 

Sadly conditioning and control  by fear is a very effective method and increasingly becoming the weapon of choice by most governments and they will go as far as their populations allow them to go....

8 hours ago, englishoak said:

Sadly conditioning and control  by fear is a very effective method and increasingly becoming the weapon of choice by most governments and they will go as far as their populations allow them to go....

I fear being controlled by my fear of being controlled by fear!