Motorcyclist gunned down in broad daylight in apparent random attack - anger at being looked at

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that the metropolitan police were looking for two men riding a motorcycle one of whom produced a gun and shot another motorcyclist in the back at a red light on Pahonyothin Road in Bang Khen, northern Bangkok yesterday afternoon.

This followed an earlier incident in which the assailants were enraged that the victim looked at them. One of the men produced a knife. 

Bang Khen police and Ruam Katanyu rescue were first on the scene at the red lights on Pahonyothin Road near the end of Soi 50 around 3pm.

Lying in the road barely alive was Natthakorn Maleewong, 28, a general repairman who had been shot once in the center of the back. 

After being given CPR at the scene he was taken to CGH Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

At the scene was a toppled Honda Wave. The area was taped off as forensics began looking for clues. 

A trader at the scene said she had heard people arguing. The victim was alone on his bike. Two men on a white lady's bike were dressed in dark clothing in full face helmets. 

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

One shot rang out and the victim fell.

The two men then fled "towards Thepparak Road".

Jirasan Ariyasat, 26, a friend of the deceased said they were riding on two separate bikes going to do a job at a condo near CGH Hospital. 

At the end of Pahonyothin Soi 69 they came up against two men on a bike who asked the victim what he was looking at. 

One tried to slash the victim with a knife but didn't connect. The men then fled.

Natthakorn chased after them. The men then did a U-turn and subsequently came up behind them at the lights at the end of Soi 50 when a further argument ensued and a gun of unknown caliber was produced by the pillion passenger and his friend was shot in the back.

Jirasan said that he had no idea who the men were and that he and his buddy had no problems with anyone.

It appeared to be a totally random attack, notes ASEAN NOW.

Met deputy Pol Maj-Gen Chokchai Ngamwong at the scene said that the two men were dressed in black jackets with tracksuit bottoms with identical full face helmets. They were riding a white Honda PCX with no registration plate. 

Police are studying CCTV on the route before and after the altercation to get a lead in the case. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 6

35 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Two men on a white lady's bike.   Enlighten me someone , what is a white lady's bike. Is it for instance a bicycle belonging to a white ferlung ?

A "white lady's bike" is a bike regarded as a "lady's" model with predominantly white paintwork.

Enlighten us, toofarnorth, what is a "ferlung" ?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Two men on a white lady's bike.   Enlighten me someone , what is a white lady's bike. Is it for instance a bicycle belonging to a white ferlung ?

I guess they mean a scooter.  I wondered the same thing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:
8 hours ago, Excel said:

Getting a mirror image of the US which far too many Thais look up to.

Seriously ... now every gun crime is USA's fault.  Mind boggling.

Its not so mind boggling...   

The media even in South East Asia and Thailand is very ‘Western-centric’... Anything major that occurs in places such as the USA are reported upon in Thailand news outlets and draw significant attention in social media....   When a major incident occurs with a degree of ‘frequency’ in another country it becomes somewhat normalised. 

The frequency of certain behaviours increases with increased media attention.

USA ‘Gun / Gang culture’ popularised by through the media normalises ‘gun use’....  

Can this specific incident be blamed on the USA ??...   of course not...

.... But the ‘contagion effect’ is increased with greater media attention...  and where has the most media attention combined with a significant ‘gun culture’ ???

The social influences of the USA can be observed throughout the globe from TV, movies, music.....and of course negative aspects such as ‘gun culture’.....    

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Maybe you can enlighten me as well what a ferlung is?

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

A "white lady's bike" is a bike regarded as a "lady's" model with predominantly white paintwork.

Enlighten us, toofarnorth, what is a "ferlung" ?

A ferlung is what I get called by the locals up here.

5 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

A ferlung is what I get called by the locals up here.

I live in the north and that’s not what they say. It would benefit you if you’re going to continue to live here to learn the language.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nkpjed said:

I live in the north and that’s not what they say. It would benefit you if you’re going to continue to live here to learn the language.

How do you know what they say where I live , go back to where you live and mind your own business.

• Like 2