Prayuth latest: Tells Thais to be economical with fuel usage - only use your cars if you have to

with Malaysia fuel some 2x cheaper than Thailand, how are they able to do so?

As thailand is taxing fuel around 6b per litre, looks like Malaysia is not taxing at all and even subsidising.

At times of economic crises and high fuel, it makes sense to follow Malaysia model, so boost economy by lowering transport cost. 

Same should be done with electricity costs to boost production., but instead Thailand rise them several months ago. There is a very large surplus of electricity in Thailand, prices should go down, rather to be increased.

https://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=tax_rates_and_double_taxation_agreements

With such huge price difference there must be a very large smuggling across border. That might be fuelling bank accounts not only corrupted officials (including military, who control border provinces under an emergency law), but also insurgents for their toys

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

We have TAT encouraging domestic travel, then Prayuth requesting people not to drive if not needed.

Is there someone that can take an overall picture of what is needed in Thailand?

• Like 2

A true "let them eat cake" moment and apt too, coming from one of the 1%. But also until the guillotine comes back out for the 1% (which is probably not that far off) as others on here have stated there are many sensible steps people can take to reduce their personal costs of living and this will extend around the world thus further effecting "luxuries" like tourism and countries that rely on it. Personally speaking I now carry out a monthly review and assess if I really need this or that, planning for the soaring costs that are going to hit us all. There is no doubt there is going to be a global recession of massive proportions, starvation and global unrest. Offering stupid advice to people who will soon be struggling to feed their kids will result in leaders being dragged out of drains and beaten to death whilst filmed for posterity on social media.

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

As thailand is taxing fuel around 6b per litre, looks like Malaysia is not taxing at all and even subsidising.

Has never been tax on most fuel in Malaysia. The subsidy was removed some time back but in the last few years it was re-introduced.

It costs the Government billions and is very inefficient.

There are moves to make the subsidy only available to the bottom 40% economically but no one has come up with a simple way for how that would work.

Foreign registered cars are prohibited from filling up with 95 (they must use 97 which I assume has a lesser or no subsidy).

As an aside Singapore has a rule that cars leaving Singapore need to have their fuel tanks 3/4full to avoid Singaporeans filling up in Malaysia and avoiding Singapore taxes.

• Like 1

Maybe Prayut could have a word with the truck/pickup manufacturers?

Have you seen TV spots where they show crazy racing/speeding among pickups?

Similar to other car TV spots, all about racing/speeding and shiny rims.

Have you ever seen promotion showing fuel consumption? (I don't say it doesn't exist but I didn't stumble upon).

Funny enough some small bikes/scooter are advertised with high "mileage" (like 70?km/liter).

Have you ever heard that fuel efficient pickups are rewarded in terms of annual tax/sales tax?

Maybe I learn something new.

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that the PM was following the energy situation as people started using their private vehicles more now that schools have reopened.

No, they're just using their cars to take kids to school... an extra journey.

4 hours ago, Excel said:

You are correct of course and on that subject overloaded trucks, roof racks with luggage etc etc together with poorly inflated tyres are also all attributable to poor fuel consumption here so guess will be totally ignored by Thais anyway.

Not forgetting the pick-up burn-outs trying to get their over-loads to the market every day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

When he will show example and travel in a taxi and leave his motorcade at home i will consider his advise...

Do not be ridiculous, do as I say, not as I do.

I do not have to pay for fuel, that is for lesser mortals, I will guide you through the disasters once my nose it out of the trough. 

• Like 1