Govt Aims to Cut Traffic Deaths by Two-Thirds in Five Years

snoop1130

To achieve this target, you need a workable plan. The implementation of the plan becomes the strategy.

The Thai government doesn't do plans......it makes meaningless statements about hubs, crackdowns and targets (like this one). After the 50 prior statements about reducing road accidents, somehow I have little faith that it will be achieved. 

Good to adopt Swedish road safety practice. World leaders along with Netherlands & UK. However “ public transport / private cars” are clearly NOT the primary problems which are obviously unskilled youngsters on small motorbikes.????

BAN all motorbikes under 150cc and Riders under 18. Combine Bike Reg & Size/ Sidecar/ Rider Age / License/ Bike Tax / Insurance ; in Spot Checks and Confiscate / Auction Bike for any Violation/ Missing Docs. No stupid fines or discretion. ????

Drastic and Impractical I know but would statistically save 80% or 20,000 young lives yearly & could use as Extreme Concept for Practical Refinement. ????

Setting aside Culture, Conditions, Cynicism & History here which render impossible any such modern govt. “plan”. ????

Edited by TropicalGuy

3 hours ago, Bobtheblob said:

They could start with simple things, e.g Road markings that clearly show who has the right of way, simple effective and not expensive. 

we would also need big arrows in the middle of the lanes to show which direction we should travel

Thai public don’t care about their appalling RTA deaths and the government doesn’t care that they don’t care either. Just make some throw away appeasing statements every so often and it’s job done. No intellectual capacity on either side to understand what the benefits would be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well there certainly is plenty room for improvement..... 

Only item mentioned was enforcing laws, which we all know is a big factor, policing is inept, corrupt, but it goes further. Driving standards are very poor, and the way roads are built and used creates danger.... U-Turns, a Hwy near me goes from 3 lanes to a near dead end junction without prior speed reducing measures. 

Importance   of enforcing the laws he says ... firstly, those  law enforcers need to  know the rules of what they are enforcing, the Police have'nt got a clue regarding  health  &  safety, and Highway code  rules, so how can they enforce something they know  very little of?,  the police drive /ride as stupid as the rest of them...

As for  road deaths being a priority, so much for thier priority   we have had  two Farang women  mowed  down   and killed  by   idiots  on  motorbikes  in the last few days and weeks

Had a chat with a group of Governors playing golf a few years ago, and asked about this, the one who was interested told us that the Government is totally aware of the situation but is held up by a number of problems. One is Education, no driving test after lessons that are the same all over the country, this would be a Federal Inspection issue to pass individuals, the second is Enforcement, active on the road enforcement of the laws, another is Environment, ie the way the roads are designed and built to prevent accidents.

There were two more that began with E, I cannot remember them.

It seems they just lack the motivation to make it happen.

I think the biggest problem is poverty. If you want to stop a family taking their children to school, five on a bike, how will they get there?

they cannot all afford helmets or a car. And the self sustaining economy contains a significant proportion of bike and pickup businesses that evade the rules, cannot afford them anyway.

More Government control would cost a lot of money, ie a lot more taxes all round. Look at the taxes in Europe and the West, to contain the problem the Government has to pay for an alternative.

It is a big problem.

4 minutes ago, pelagicpete said:

Had a chat with a group of Governors playing golf a few years ago, and asked about this, the one who was interested told us that the Government is totally aware of the situation but is held up by a number of problems. One is Education, no driving test after lessons that are the same all over the country, this would be a Federal Inspection issue to pass individuals, the second is Enforcement, active on the road enforcement of the laws, another is Environment, ie the way the roads are designed and built to prevent accidents.

There were two more that began with E, I cannot remember them.

It seems they just lack the motivation to make it happen.

I think the biggest problem is poverty. If you want to stop a family taking their children to school, five on a bike, how will they get there?

they cannot all afford helmets or a car. And the self sustaining economy contains a significant proportion of bike and pickup businesses that evade the rules, cannot afford them anyway.

More Government control would cost a lot of money, ie a lot more taxes all round. Look at the taxes in Europe and the West, to contain the problem the Government has to pay for an alternative.

It is a big problem.

I agree with all of the above,but,

How are you going to solve another big problem?

There have been loads of videos ,just a few last week.

People,both young and old that can't be bothered to even look when they turn into

traffic?

If you have no self preservation instinct at all what chances have you got in traffic?

I see a lot of people doing it and i wonder,how did they get this old?

Lucky amulet must be the answer.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:01 PM, Bobtheblob said:

They could start with simple things, e.g Road markings that clearly show who has the right of way, simple effective and not expensive. 

That would be the common sense wisdom, but, then again, Thai drivers would just ignore them.

• Like 1

I have a unique and novel solution. Get the lazy and under funded highway patrol to actually patrol the highways, and pull over reckless drivers, thereby introducing a deterrent and reason for idiots to stop being extremely reckless. Fine them massive amounts, that increase depending on the level of insanity committed. Not on the spot cash fines, that the cops keep. But, actual citations, that are counted against your ability to renew your registration, if left unpaid. 

In the US, 60 years ago, there was a major littering problem. They introduced $1,000 fines, and the highway patrol started handing out tickets to litter bugs. Guess what happened, nearly overnight? 90% of people stopped littering. 

Fairly basic stuff. 

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

First they need to change Thai society to the point where they can enforce laws...

Exactly, went the very top break laws it is hardly an example to the rest of the population.

On 5/29/2022 at 8:33 AM, BangkokReady said:

How would that solve anything?  You think this has anything to do with the current government?

so you are saying that minister's in this government have not caused these problems Oh my dear man are you unwell

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

so you are saying that minister's in this government have not caused these problems Oh my dear man are you unwell

You actually believe that it was not like this under previous government(s)?!!  You are the one who sounds unwell!

On 6/4/2022 at 2:23 PM, BangkokReady said:

You actually believe that it was not like this under previous government(s)?!!  You are the one who sounds unwell!

oh my my i feel so unwell i need to lie down...You are still talking Bullshoot!!!. did i say the previous government was any better NO i said the government is to blame for not controlling this ...would you find it easier to understand if i wrote it in Capital letters ..in Crayon..

4 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

did i say the previous government was any better

By saying that getting rid of the current government would fix it and then that the ministers in the current government have caused these problems?  Yes.  That is exactly what you have said.

i said the government is to blame for not controlling this

You said the current government is to blame.

would you find it easier to understand if i wrote it in Capital letters ..in Crayon.

I can understand perfectly what you have written.  It seems it is you who cannot even grasp their own words.

I recommend you do have that lie down, followed by a session of crayon drawing as you suggest.

• Haha 1