$10k extended warranty? Yeah or nay?

So I got  C43 just before covid hit and I've only done 26,000 km in it.

It's 3 years old - usually the time to buy a new one but as covid stopped me going anywhere, it seems dub to get a new car when this still looks new.

The 3 year extended warranty is $10k. It's a performance car and I would imagine a new gearbox would cost that and a new engine would be a write off.

So the thought is to get the 3 year warranty for $10k, then sell it when there's 6 months warranty left. It seems expensive but  the repair costs would be high till it's an "older benz" where it could be taken to one of the unofficial repair shops.

The choice is warranty or not - I am not getting rid of it as it's still a great car,

What would you do?

7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I'd want to know exactly what the extended warranty covers before forking over that kinda coin... also is it transferable to a new owner.

Covers everything the original warrrantly does - all engine parts, gearbox etc as long as we service it.

But I will double check and get back.

Transferrable - that didn't occur to me - so thanks.

Hi Pedro

Good to hear you and that you are well on the mend.

If your car is less than three years old, I can’t remember the date you bought it now, you can buy the MB extended warranty.

I bought the warranty, I now have a total of eight years, think it cost about 250,000thb

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pedro01 said:

Covers everything the original warrrantly does - all engine parts, gearbox etc as long as we service it.

But I will double check and get back.

Transferrable - that didn't occur to me - so thanks.

Yes it’s transferrable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAS21 said:

Hi Pedro

Good to hear you and that you are well on the mend.

If your car is less than three years old, I can’t remember the date you bought it now, you can buy the MB extended warranty.

I bought the warranty, I now have a total of eight years, think it cost about 250,000thb

Thanks Jas!

As others have said, make sure it covers everything you think it does. 

Generally, it is not a good bet, that's why they are so hot to sell them, but if you're hard on cars, it might be worthwhile.

That you want to sell it the car and the warranty is transferable makes it more attractive. 

I look at it this way: How many of the "covered repairs" could I do on my own for $10k?

If those repairs add up to less than $10k, I have come out ahead.

And I will not have to deal with the insurer for each repair, or file claims.

11 minutes ago, timendres said:

I look at it this way: How many of the "covered repairs" could I do on my own for $10k?

I think it's a little more streamlined than that, given it's a "factory" warrantee. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think it's a little more streamlined than that, given it's a "factory" warrantee. 

I don't know anyone in 17 years that has had warranty issues. 

Had a recall by Toyota for a Yaris we once had and it turned out be next to nothing and the ECU righted the problem and was something anyone could do, once shown. 

Still got a list saying you need new aircon filter, needs brake fluid change,  your next service is nearly due, I reckon just a ploy. 

28 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Buy a Lexus 

Lexus make good motor cars BUT they don’t have anything (power wise) equivalent to the C43 as far as I’m aware.

If no financial constraints, if I wanted a C43 I would go for a new one as the C Class  has just had a big update … Nick O’Leary gave his ‘totally unbiased’ impression of the new C Class on youtube a few weeks ago, and I’m sure by now others also.

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Had a recall by Toyota for a Yaris we once had and it turned out be next to nothing and the ECU righted the problem and was something anyone could do, once shown. 

Still got a list saying you need new aircon filter, needs brake fluid change,  your next service is nearly due, I reckon just a ploy. 

I know plenty of C and E Class owners who have. Even in the first week of ownership. Was in a dealer ship a few days ago and in came a red plated merc on a Low Loader. 

8 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

I know plenty of C and E Class owners who have. Even in the first week of ownership. Was in a dealer ship a few days ago and in came a red plated merc on a Low Loader. 

I find that sad, after forking out the dosh for a MB I would be livid. 

In Germany MB are a good buy and reliable hence the many taxis. 

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Personally I wouldn't bother with warranty on Mercedes,  Honda,  Toyota,  Isuzu, BM, Mazda etc etc just service it at a good main dealer if you can find one. ????

Yeah - but it's an AMG - The clock on it probably would cost $1000 to replace ????

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

As others have said, make sure it covers everything you think it does. 

Generally, it is not a good bet, that's why they are so hot to sell them, but if you're hard on cars, it might be worthwhile.

That you want to sell it the car and the warranty is transferable makes it more attractive. 

I do see that side of the story.

And of course they profit from them - but hopefully it's an exchange of half way decent value for  cash.

Thanks for the reply,

1 hour ago, timendres said:

I once took the family rotary telephone apart to see how it worked.

Got a beating from my dad for not being able to put it back together.

So pretty sure that I could replace the tax sticker but past that I'd be lost.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah - it's very bad press and not worth the hassle IMO.

Now - non-manufacturer warranties - I'd be more concerned. I'll need to keep it serviced, but the cost of that so far has been pretty low (considering 26k km on the clock).

20 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

I found Benz to be really reliable so far but BMWs seem to come part finished with the bits missing replaced afteer a trip on a low loader.

271823886_10160024350257456_6944950163479444578_n.thumb.jpg.cc649b597b69dfb4f2e0a3a98ff3fcfa.jpg271833692_10160024350272456_3982821020633411669_n.thumb.jpg.876af5a64449288d1642256a61cf8320.jpg

BMW - Built in Germany, finished in Thailand...

39 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I've had warranty issues with both of my Thailand Toyotas and one of my Isuzus. 

Never had any warranty issue with any of my Fords, Chevys. US Toyotas, Buicks, or GMCs. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I find that sad, after forking out the dosh for a MB I would be livid. 

In Germany MB are a good buy and reliable hence the many taxis. 

The main failure items on the C and E Class are the air suspension … not really suited to Thailand roads … the associated air compressor (especially if you ignore the air suspension alarm, and the air con. compressor. These items are very expensive.

You can source non OEM parts, if you know from where and get them fitted by a non MB main dealer. But they don’t last as long.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

How often does the clocks on MB go wrong.? 

I think what Pedro is saying is that if anything breaks ... its expensive ... and he is correct. 

If you are out and about and your car stops ,, and you have MB extended warranty... you just phone up and a low loader will appear and take you car to the nearest MB Dealer for repairs. You unfortunately will have to sort yourself out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Yeah - it's very bad press and not worth the hassle IMO.

Now - non-manufacturer warranties - I'd be more concerned. I'll need to keep it serviced, but the cost of that so far has been pretty low (considering 26k km on the clock).

Don't get me wrong I was a motor and motorcycle engineer mechanic whatever so my concerns are not the same as many other car owners but I do understand why people like warranties and extension.

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I once took the family rotary telephone apart to see how it worked.

Got a beating from my dad for not being able to put it back together.

So pretty sure that I could replace the tax sticker but past that I'd be lost.

I should have been more clear. I meant "pay for on my own". 

Like you, there is no chance I could work on a car myself.

They are far too complicated these days, and require specialized tools.

• 9 months later...

OK - so update is that I did plump for the warranty.

During the last service, the battery needed replacing. The cost for one from Benz would have been 200,000 Baht. For a battery. OF course, if it wasn't under warranty, I wouldn't have paid that, I'd have got a battery from another supplier. 

The motor in one of the seats went too - and I didn't ask about the price of that.

So it's almost paid for itself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/6/2023 at 6:05 PM, pedro01 said:

OK - so update is that I did plump for the warranty.

During the last service, the battery needed replacing. The cost for one from Benz would have been 200,000 Baht. For a battery. OF course, if it wasn't under warranty, I wouldn't have paid that, I'd have got a battery from another supplier. 

The motor in one of the seats went too - and I didn't ask about the price of that.

So it's almost paid for itself. 

Pedro, have you retro fitted a hybrid system to that old C Class. 200,00 for a starter battery, they saw you coming lol ..Any old battery of the same rating will fit … BUT by what you have done your extended warranty will be void BUT anyway the starter battery is covered under the Mercedes extended warranty. 

Edited by PFMills