Visa for Vietnam

I have posted this in the Vietnam forum but no one replied so I try here,

We are planning a trip to Vietnam in Octobe for 4/5 days, I am a U.K. citizen my wife is Thai, what are the visa requirements, I have tried ‘googling’ but as usual I get conflicting answers.

As with many countries in the region travel and entry rules are regularly changing, and will almost certainly change before your expected date of travel.

At the present moment visas are not required to enter Vietnam, for British and Thai passport holders for the trip you have in mind, subject to any travel restrictions that might be imposed. https://www.vietnam-visa.com/vietnam-visa-exemption/

British Passport holders can also apply for an evisa for a longer than 15 day stay  https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt - be careful as there are numerous agencies who imply they are Government Agencies, and despite the misleading ".govt.vn" as opposed to "gov.vn" on their website they're not.

The National Portal on Immigration usually has accurate updates https://xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en

You might find the travel advice from the UK Government helpful https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/vietnam/entry-requirements

• Like 1

This official Vietnam Immigration eVisa site has a link that lists the countries where a visa is required and the countries where you can apply for an eVisa. There are many other sites purporting to assist with eVisas, but this is the only official government site. 

I am a US citizen and flew from Thailand to Ho Chi Minh City last week. I applied a week in advance and received an email with the visa. I printed it out and used it to both check in and to walk straight to the immigration counter upon arrival. It took 3 working days and total cost was US$25. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The ‘old git’ U.K. said citizens require a visa ?

No, I said you don’t currently require a visa for the trip you have planned, as from 15 March 2022 Vietnam reintroduced visa waivers for the nationals of 13 countries including the UK.

Visa waivers allow for visits to Vietnam for up to 15 days without needing to apply for a visa, I added that if you exceed 15 days you should apply for an evisa via the official government website.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinci said:

you as Uk citizen need a visa your wife with Thai passport don't.

That’s not currently  correct for the trip the OP is seeking advice on.

Vietnam has reintroduced visa waivers for the nationals of 13 countries including the UK. Visa waivers allow for visits to Vietnam for up to 15 days without needing to apply for a visa.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I am UK citizen and just got a visa  on arrival  which effectly means  no visa required.

No, you got a visa waiver, as providing you were staying for less than fifteen day, no visa was required.

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

So neither myself or my Thai wife require a visa, we both can get a visa on arrival, is there a fee ?

No you neither of you need a visa either in advance, or on arrival, for the trip you’re planning, so no fee.

Of course your planned trip is still some months away, and things could change.

On 5/29/2022 at 1:39 PM, theoldgit said:

That’s not currently  correct for the trip the OP is seeking advice on.

Vietnam has reintroduced visa waivers for the nationals of 13 countries including the UK. Visa waivers allow for visits to Vietnam for up to 15 days without needing to apply for a visa.

Do you know if for the Thai passport they give also only 15 days visa exempt now or 30 days visa exempt like it was pre-covid?