Open A UK Savings Account In The UK (live in Thailand)

i am in dispute with the HALIFAX in the UK and need to move all my money from my savings account, anyone got an instant savings account they set up while living in Thailand, (the <deleted> idiots seem to think i might be money laundering, what .? on my pension) they are a fkin joke KC any advice welcome.

I think that to open any UK bank or savings account you will need a UK address. Assuming you have a UK address then MARCUS account is very easy to open (I opened one recently online in under 10 minutes) and pays just about the best interest for easy access with no penalties. Does not give a ATM or Debit card though. FSCS protected to £85,000

A friend swears by Starling Bank (an online bank). But as others have posted, you will need a UK address. Not only that. You will probably  be asked for proof of address: Council Tax, utility bill etc.

National Savings and Investments - NS&I.

Income Bonds are a possibility - can open by post with a Thai address - very safe - can manage by post and online - but need a UK bank account to pay in and withdraw, an offshore account with a sort code is OK.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:07 PM, anchadian said:

Albeit no interest.

As well as no FSCS protection up to £85,000. However, if the Halifax are threatening to close the OP's account and he needs to move all his money out ASAP then a Wise borderless account might prove a useful temporary stop-gap measure in his case while he considers possible longer-term options.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:06 PM, In Full Agreement said:

Are you even able to withdraw money from your account or has it been frozen?

The OP is asking for advice, but doesn't seem to be answering questions from those trying to assist.

I think a lot depends on whether the bank has registered a cifas marker on the account, which they can do if they suspect the account holder is using the account or money laundering, amongst other things.

A marker would certainly make opening a new account difficult, but I'm not sure if they could prevent him withdrawing funds from the account.