Can I get a work permit with a TEFL?

JDAC

Hi all. 2 teachers I know have said it is possible to get a work permit with a TEFL. It doesn't sound right to me. I know now you need to get your degree validated by the consultant. Just wondering if anyone can confirm if it is possible to do this with a TEFL.

Or better yet if anyone has experience doing this.

Many thanks

That doesn't sound true to me. As the TEFL is just a certificate saying you finished a course  Teaching English as a foreign language

However, when applying for most, not all teaching jobs, they require that you have a TEFL plus other doc's, Once hired, you would receive a Work Permit. I myself obtained a TEFL from an online course from the UK for 300 baht. It took 3 days to complete the course. Very easy.

Yes, you can (could, in the not so distant past) along with your high school and any further education certificates you may have. The school needs to understand that you are not a degree holder and they are happy with your performance, and I’m also guessing, the price (I was working for an agency at the time and studying a degree).

I was the sole teacher in a program funded by the local government, where I visited tiny rural village schools, maybe the ability of students and conditions wouldn’t suit a lot of people, so the headmasters and authorities had no choice to employ me, but for me, it was a really rewarding couple of years.

I don’t know if this is totally legal, I doubt it would pass a planned raid by immigration but it will get you a work permit. On application, the labour office was filled with Burmese building labourers, It was a formality for them, I was working and their job to issue a work permit. They just wanted to see a few qualifications, my tefl has “diploma” on the top.

What it won’t get you is an extension of stay from immigration, I had my own non-O based on marriage, I also didn’t have a teachers permit waiver, no one in the agency did. 

Others may have different experiences. A lot of this is down to the area you are in, connections that the agency have and your attitude / performance / ability to fit into the role.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

Yes, you can get a work permit with only a TEFL. But you can only teach at language schools and such, not at primary or secondary, schools. For that you need a degree in education or a temporary waiver, which you can only get with a university degree. (Not a TEFL).

• Confused 1

To get a work permit you either have to form a Thai registered company first OR be sponsored by an employer to apply for the work permit through that employer. A TEFL has ZERO to do with access to a work permit.  

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

To get a work permit you either have to form a Thai registered company first OR be sponsored by an employer to apply for the work permit through that employer. A TEFL has ZERO to do with access to a work permit.  

Lucky my comment could fool one person. Of course TEFL has to do with if you get a permit or not. It depends on which school you will teach on and what education or certificates that are needed for the specific position.

9 hours ago, Preacher said:

Yes, you can get a work permit with only a TEFL. But you can only teach at language schools and such, not at primary or secondary, schools. For that you need a degree in education or a temporary waiver, which you can only get with a university degree. (Not a TEFL).

Correct to a point.

Without a degree you cannot get permission from the teachers' council to teach. This goes for any schools that are governed by OBEC. Without such permission you cannot get a work permit.

Language centres and, strangely, universities do not need such permission and teachers without degrees can get work permits to teach at such establishments.

• Like 1