Joint Bank Accounts - Are We Safe?

You weren't exactly straight with us there Mr. chiangrai57020.

In your post you wrote" Spouse".In the dictionary(and I just looked it up)the definition of spouse is"A person's partner in marriage".

Now you come out with,that 5yrs. ago you had a village traditional marriage.Which equals to shacking up,except it's got the Mysterious Asian Twist.

I am now sorry that I even bothered the manager at Bangkok Bank with this nonsense.

Even as a local, the bulk of my funds are in Singapore and HK.

very telling statement .

In regards to the taxation of interest income in different countries, absolutely.

:D

had a joint account for years ,drawn money on my own as has my wife ,supposed to be 2 signatures ,never been asked for both ,could be scary one day :o

Sorry, I'm confused as well. Are you talking about joint accounts that require BOTH signatures in order to make a withdrawl, or accounts that require EITHER signature to make a withdrawl?

This point has been made several time yet ignored - simple if either signatory can with draw, then if one partner dies withdraw.

Why look for problems :o

Sorry, I'm confused as well. Are you talking about joint accounts that require BOTH signatures in order to make a withdrawal, or accounts that require EITHER signature to make a withdrawal?

This point has been made several time yet ignored - simple if either signatory can with draw, then if one partner dies withdraw.

Indeed why looking for difficulties if it can be just so simple.

Sorry, I'm confused as well. Are you talking about joint accounts that require BOTH signatures in order to make a withdrawal, or accounts that require EITHER signature to make a withdrawal?

Indeed why looking for difficulties if it can be just so simple.

Or, failing to go the "either" route, why not open an account with your wife as the "primary" account holder?

You weren't exactly straight with us there Mr. chiangrai57020.

In your post you wrote" Spouse".In the dictionary(and I just looked it up)the definition of spouse is"A person's partner in marriage".

Now you come out with,that 5yrs. ago you had a village traditional marriage.Which equals to shacking up,except it's got the Mysterious Asian Twist.

I am now sorry that I even bothered the manager at Bangkok Bank with this nonsense.

Mellow1: I originally was not going to respond to your comment but I reached my boiling point.

There are a lot of 'ignorant' posters like yourself that have driven away a lot of the 'more intelligent' posters because of responses like yours. I for one do not like posting or responding to comments in TV anymore because of the stupidity (IMO) of some posters and have avoided doing so for quite sometime.

It is apparent that you have no knowledge of Thailand or Thai culture. The fact is that most people’s opinions on anything, it doesn’t matter what it is, come from preconceived notions and not from real research. Research is hard. Preconceived notions are what they are: One person’s opinion based on what they know or feel and often times not based on the facts.

Let me provide you with a little education. In Thailand there are 'generally' two marriage ceremonies. (One) which is referred to by many names as a 'traditional village ceremony'. It is completely and legitimately recognized by family, friends, relatives, etc. of the (man and woman) bride and groom. It is not a 'shack-up job' as you so ignorantly put it! (Two). In order for the marriage to be 'official' in the eyes of the Thai government, the marriage must be 'registered' at the local Ampur (District Office). This has nothing to do with 'legitimizing' the marriage. There are many marriages in Thailand between Thai men and woman that 'Are NOT' registered!

Now then, in order for a marriage to be registered (one) of the parties MUST be a Thai citizen. In my case (which is not any of your business!) my wife has lived in Thailand for all but 6 years. She is a 'Refugee!' As a 'Refugee' in Thailand, a Refugee has no rights and NO Thai citizenship. AND I am not going to go into the ridiculous procedures it takes for a Refugee to become a Thai citizen. I've been there and done that!

My wife (spouse) is just like every other 'foreigner' in Thailand. She cannot own land, she cannot get a passport (unlike most 'foreigners'), she cannot get a visa to any country, she is 'stuck' in Thailand.

Now then, to further your education, there are some Refugee's that cannot leave the confines of there village/Ampur. To do so CAN result in immediate deportation or jail time. There are 'some' Refugee's that can obtain 'permission' to travel out of their village/Ampur for a short period of time. And then there are other Refugee's that are able to obtain ID cards or a 'dummy' passport (for lack of a better description) that allows them to travel anywhere in Thailand for any length of time. With this 'dummy' passport they can also travel to 'selected' countries.

In the future, please 'think' before you open your big mouth. It might also be advisable to do a little research before 'putting your foot in your mouth again.'

Now then, in order for a marriage to be registered (one) of the parties MUST be a Thai citizen.

I have just met 2 Brits who were married in Thailand, they had to obtain documents from the Brit Consul and a stamp from the Thai MFA. Very straight forward procedure.

Thailand Lawyer: USA-Thailand Lawyer Firm Helps With Thai Law ...

Marriage & Prenuptial Agreements Marriage between thai and foreign spouses and between non-thai and foreign nationals, prenuptial agreements, antenuptial. ...

www.thailand-lawyer.com/ - 25k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

[ More results from www.thailand-lawyer.com ]

sorry guys but this sound like an urban legend.. :o

thai banking laws are very well defined and the comercial bank can not give your funds to anyone. the comercial banks are very carfull about this isuue.

and the poo yai ban and others can not jsut step ito the bank and confiscate funds.

any confescation of the funds can only be made through a court order.

on the contrary to most Farrang legends... thailand has laws and they are enforced.

if they were married. then under Thai Civil legal provisions governing inheritance she is entitled to the funds.

if they were only married in the temple but not registered then she needs to press a claim through the court with facts that they have been living together and then the court will rule her to be the sucessor.

Very good comment. I will pass this on to the 2 people that I know of that got 'shafted' and see what they have to say.

Have you ever been involved in a civil court case in Thailand? I have - and won - BUT the lawyer produced and presented to the court so much BS that the case didn't even come close to the FACTS. Through an interpreter I was asked many questions BUT never had the chance to reply - (to the majority of the questions) the interpreter did it for me.

So, please do not tell me that there are laws that will protected the less fortunate or undereducated. Whoever has the RIGHT lawyer will win and the poor sod that should be the winner is out in the cold - so to speak.

Secondly, if you read the original statement, my wife IS NOT a Thai citizen. This basicly means that she HAS NO RIGHTS. The reason I left Thailand is because of the way she was treated by the 'government' employees at the Ampur and Chiangwad level. After 4 years of 'KISSING ARSE' I just could not take it anymore. Letters (again, Arse Kissing) to the Interior Minster himself resulted in ZERO replies. If you have any idea what it takes to get Thai citizenship in this country then you might have an ingling as to why I sound so bitter. 'They' bend and present 'their' own rules!

So, I have no respect for Thai laws or made on the spot 'government' rules.

I am trying to find a way, other than a Thai bank account, to protect my wife's current and future monetary assets. I DO NOT trust a Thai bank to abide by their rules or 'government' laws.

I have considered doing 'wire transfers' directly into her bank account so that she would have PROOF that the funds came from legit sources. But I still worry that 'her' relatives may turn on her if they determine that she is of means and want some for themselves.

It is not my intension to start a 'battle' of words. If people will learn to stick to the 'Topic' instead of trying to read into the topic what is not there, we would all be better off.

There is nobody on this 'board' that has any idea what I have gone through or put up with for the 4-5 years that I was living in Thailand. So, please, stick to the topic.

How to protect my wife's monetary assets from being 'stolen' by a bank, 'relatives' or 'government' agency.

Thank you - SINCERELY - for any advise.

I am still leaving Thailand in a week - visa expires - so I would really appreciate some good advice on the subject presented.

If you are in Bangkok I think it would be worth visiting Thailand's oldest bank, Standard Chartered near the Dusit Thani hotel and talking to them. Its a UK bank branch. HSBC is also non Thai.

Also my son and his girl (UK citizens) had a registered marriage here two years ago.

Edited by raslin

The Skipper/wolfmanjack: I like your ideas regarding a trust or USA bank account in her name. The trust could be somewhat complicated! The USA bank account seems to be the easiest which could be used to make a monthly 'wire transfer' from her USA account to her Thailand account. I like this method and will set it up when I get back to the USA. Don't know if anyone has knowledge BUT another question - Can a non-USA citizen open a USA account? Goes without saying that I will confirm this.

Short answer is yes, including for example, exchange students. But for being able to open one without her physically being in the US and without a passport, it's probably very difficult. First step probably is to get an ITIN (Individual Tax Id Number), which requires certified copies of government ids.

Assuming you could do that, then you might be able to find a bank that would open it with you physically there and then have her sign and return the signature card later. They normally require a photocopy of id as well.

There was a topic about a year ago with people claiming it could be done completely by mail, but no one would say how they did it or even which bank would do it. I called a couple banks back then and it sounded like they used to do it, but the new regulations after 9/11 made them stop.