Border Run And Visa Exempt When On A Special Tourist Visa?

My third and final stay of 90 days to be granted on my STV is approaching, however the cost of renewing my insurance policy is very high, plus I only plan to stay another 2 months, so won’t need the full 90 days cover. 

My question is could I instead do a border run to receive 30 days visa exempt (which I’ll extend by another 30 days), or will immigration at the border force me to utilise the third and final stay of 90 days on my STV?

The border run will cancel the STV, and the potential final extension. Your idea of a visa exempt and 30-day extension is fine in principle. By land (as long as you avoid the Aranyaprathet/Poipet crossing) there should be absolutely no problem. If planning to re-enter by air, be aware that immigration officials at some airports might possibly hassle you as someone who has been in Thailand as a tourist for six months already, and is trying to use a visa exempt entry "to stay longer in Thailand than is compatible with normal tourism".

You will need a Thailand Pass and 30-day US$10,000 insurance covering Covid-19, but I assume you are aware of this. Presumably, you are fully vaccinated.

23 hours ago, BritTim said:

You will need a Thailand Pass and 30-day US$10,000 insurance covering Covid-19, but I assume you are aware of this. Presumably, you are fully vaccinated.

What would be the best way to go about obtaining both the Thailand Pass and insurance?

I understand that the TP can be applied for before leaving Thailand, however it requires you to already have the 30 day insurance policy as part of the application, which is only obtainable before entering Thailand, or am I missing something?  

16 hours ago, brotherother said:

What would be the best way to go about obtaining both the Thailand Pass and insurance?

I understand that the TP can be applied for before leaving Thailand, however it requires you to already have the 30 day insurance policy as part of the application, which is only obtainable before entering Thailand, or am I missing something?  

You can buy the policy ahead of time, effective on the day you engter Thailand

Possible Thailand Pass will be abolished in a month or so