What Books Are You Reading (2022)

connda

I have just finished a book by Mall Nunn called A beautiful Place to Die.

Set in South Africa in the 1950s about a detective assigned to investigate the murder of a white police captain.

I had problems putting it down even to sleep and I always wanted to read more of it.

It has more twists and turns than a Thai politicians statement. 

• Haha 1

I’ve been reading Putin’s People by Catherine Belton. It’s about the rise of V Putin in Russia and the activities of his authoritarian regime, which has led to the tragedy in Ukraine. The west have been sleeping at the wheel where Russia is concerned. 

I’ve also just finished The Cryptocurrency Queen by Jamie Bartlett, which documents the rise of a crypto Ponzi scheme called One Coin, headed by Bulgarian fraudster Ruja Ignatova. Ruja disappeared and is now on the FBI’s most wanted list.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Did you read the last one? At least I think it was the last. It was so bad I decided I won't read them anymore.

I read somewhere that Lee Child hired his brother to write for him. A failure.

But I agree all older Reacher novels are good.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favourite  authors ,Ian McEwan,been writing for a lot of years, won many awards.

My favourite ? has to be The Innocent, Saturday,and the one most people know Atonement, Amsterdam .

I will admit not read any of his past 3 books,can anyone comment.

4 hours ago, connda said:

I've just started on The Chronicles of Narnia series.

C.S. Lewis also wrote the Perelandra trilogy, an adult fairy story. The last of the trilogy " That Hideous Strength" IMO is the best.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 6:56 PM, billd766 said:

I have just finished a book by Mall Nunn called A beautiful Place to Die.

Set in South Africa in the 1950s about a detective assigned to investigate the murder of a white police captain.

I had problems putting it down even to sleep and I always wanted to read more of it.

It has more twists and turns than a Thai politicians statement. 

It must be good.????

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Silk Roads: A New History of the World

Far more than a history of the Silk Roads, this book is truly a revelatory new history of the world, promising to destabilize notions of where we come from and where we are headed next. From the Middle East and its political instability to China and its economic rise, the vast region stretching eastward from the Balkans across the steppe and South Asia has been thrust into the global spotlight in recent years. Frankopan teaches us that to understand what is at stake for the cities and nations built on these intricate trade routes, we must first understand their astounding pasts

https://www.amazon.com/Silk-Roads-New-History-World/dp/1101912375

• Like 1

I tend to read Sci-fi and Fantasy. After reading The Prefect by Alistair Reynolds I went to Chasm City. I must admit his mind must work on a different level to mine. How he can cribbed the surroundings in such detail way is beyond me. S lightly different, my favorite Sci-Fi author was Issac Asimov.

On 6/9/2022 at 5:54 PM, RichardColeman said:

Currently James Herbert, The Dark. old 1986 copy form a charity shop that I also just found some esso tokens in that really brought back memories of the 80's 

Loved Herbert (The Fog etc.)  Went to UK about 3 years back & couldn't believe the cost of 2nd hand books in Charity shops.  I bought so many I got dinged for 90 UKP at MAN on the way back!

On 6/15/2022 at 9:18 PM, biervoormij said:

@OBOR Thanks for pointing this out to me. With all the Christopher Moore and Christopher W Moore books I missed the Christopher G Moore ones.

Thanks again for pointing me to this site. It will keep me in books for months.

Thanks from me too.  I can't believe there's so many FREE books available.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I suggested that here. Much better than slogging thru the original Stoic texts.

If you want to read a pretty uneven modern novel that has a lot stoic philosophy in it, try Man In Full by Tom Wolfe. Even in his steep, decades long decline, I love his books.

21 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Does anybody read Ebooks and have a library that they would like to share? I have about 1.6 Gb of Ebooks that I am slowly working my way through.

I have a large library of ebooks that I believe were downloaded from a torrent site but not sure how I would share it. Lately I have not been using this library but getting most of the books I have been reading from https://z-lib.org/ which @OBOR shared on this thread back in June.

• Like 2