What's the deal with being born in Thailand? Is that enough to qualify for citizenship

I keep seeing conflicting reports on this and I just don't really get it. I always thought that being born in Thailand was not sufficient to qualify for Thai citizenship - one or more parents must also be Thai citizens. Did I have it wrong? Both my kids were born here, but mom and dad aren't Thai and haven't lived in Thailand beyond the last year or two. 

• Haha 1

To automatically  get Thai Citizenship , a Child must have al least one Thai Parent .

There is a problem that a large amount of "Thais" living in Thailand do not have Thai citizenship , often from Families near border towns or hill tribe people , estimated that there's about 2-3 million people living legally in Thailand without  Thai citizenship .

To end statelessness , the Thai Government has a system in place where Children that were born in Thailand (to non Thai parents) can get Thai citizenship if they attended Thai state School , have never left Thailand and have no affiliation to any other Country (Passport or Citizenship) and they get given Thai citizenship when leaving School 

A post with a link to the Bangkok Post has been removed.

Forum Rule

"26) The Bangkok Post, Phuketwan and Pattaya Mail do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEANNOW.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post, Phuketwan or Pattaya Mail publications will be deleted from the forum."

6 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I understand that children born of two parents who hold permanent resident status acquire Thai nationality at birth.

That is not correct. There is a process that may allow them to apply for Thai nationality.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Soda Soda said:

Your kids are not Thai.

They are whatever the parents are.

Unlike American - there ain't no "Anchor Baby" law here. 
Sorry.  You're out of luck.  You should have done you're homework.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/11/2022 at 4:48 PM, connda said:

Unlike American - there ain't no "Anchor Baby" law here. 
Sorry.  You're out of luck.  You should have done you're homework.

No homework needed. It's not really something of serious interest - just curiosity. 

Edited by RubenRemus
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 4:02 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

To end statelessness , the Thai Government has a system in place where Children that were born in Thailand (to non Thai parents) can get Thai citizenship if they attended Thai state School , have never left Thailand and have no affiliation to any other Country (Passport or Citizenship) and they get given Thai citizenship when leaving School 

So could the child of a Western couple (non-Thai) get Thai citizenship this way?

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

So could the child of a Western couple (non-Thai) get Thai citizenship this way?

I don't think so, because one of the requirements for getting Thai citizenship this way is that the Child has no affiliation to any other Country , like they cannot get citizenship from any other Country .

Some kids have got Thai citizenship having just one felang parent , but thats when contact has been lost with that (felang)  Parent and it would be difficult to convince the authorities that both parents are uncontactable .