Any options or recourse for auto ins premium increase?

watgate

I was involved in a motor vehicle accident awhile ago with a young motorcyclist. I was approaching a 4 way intersection and put mu turn signal on and turned left. After turning left I was driving and then suddenly a young motorcyclist who was riding too fast rammed into the side of my vehicle. I was pretty shook up and myself and my wife had to go to the Police station. My wife called the insurance agent and he arrived about 30 mins later at the Police station. He did his thing and actually did a great job to get my vehicle repaired in a timely fashion. Fortunately the young motorcyclist who had been transported by ambulance to the local hospital was alright and appeared at the Police station about an hour later.

My wife told me that the insurance agent said it was the motorcyclist's fault but I received a letter from my insurance company stating my renewal premium for next year is going up. It said I had 1 charged at fault claim. I called my insurance company and spoke to someone who said that evidently the police had said that it was both of our faults for the accident which I disagree with. I had no discussions at the police station after the accident since I don't speak thai and thought it best to let the insurance agent handle things.

I am thinking that most likely the  insurance company knows the motorcyclist has insufficient insurance so therefore if I am assigned partly to blame they can go after me to recoup their payout by increasing my renewal premium. If I was in the wrong I would have no problem whatsoever with having to incur a premium increase but feel that since I was not at fault with this accident I am trying to find out if I have any recourse. I am not going to go  crazy over this but if there is something I could possibly do to try and rectify this situation I would try it.  If anyone knows any ways to try an achieve this outcome I would be appreciative of any constructive advice. If I have to eventually bite the bullet, so to speak, and just accept this is Thailand, the I am also prepared to do that also.

The only solution I can think of is , take the premium they are asking you to pay and search around other insurance companies and get quotes from them.

Maybe it would be cheaper to start again , who knows ?

If you were police marked as partly to blame, the insurance co. will not pursue a claim against the kid.

I think that happens a lot here, well, I know of a few instances where folk at fault actually got paid out....Sad but true..

Police in Thailand arbitrarily blames both the drivers in most cases. Did he rammed you at a cross section? Now that the police has determined it's both driver's fault, nothing can be done. Just search for a new insurance company as the other poster has suggested. 

After being involved in a similar accident (among the things I picked up on the road were mobile telephone and cover), certainly not my fault, I was fined ฿800.- after wasting two and a half days at the police station - it was that or pay tea money. They saw my carcam. Not sure what the insurance agent said but the next two renewals were not more expensive. They had to pay for replacement of my engine hood and side door. I'm still paying first class insurance on my now 10 year old car. I wonder if the OP has first class?

The one time I took second class I hit a rock and the company told me to get first class or pay more for my second class. Seemed like an easy choice. 

Viriya insurance treats us well here in Buriram, but this seems to vary depending on where you live. 

Edited by cooked