Legalities opening a Cannabis store

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Only a job a Thai can do, unless your a close personal friend of Anutins......Big C has you beat already.

20220612_131852.jpg

I have a thai friend who did sales for a cannabis seed company so maybe I can partner with her in opening the shop

The picture isn't that clear but that stuff looks like pretty bad cannabis, I think a premium cannabis store would do well, the ridiculous prices for cannabis here plus the people willing to pay makes it an attractive business venture. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Gilligan In Drag said:

If you go to their website, you'll see it's kitchen ganja that they sell, leaf only. So not exactly the same thing as the o.p. is talking about. But, yes I would guess that it  will likely be something like this if psychoactive cannabis is allowed to  take off on a commercial scale, the large corporations will want a monopoly on it and they'll have laws in place like they do with opening a small craft brewery that make it prohibitively expensive for but the very wealthy. The ganja companies will probably want to do what they do with the rice farmers, pay them not even enough to produce the crop and then also get money from them again loaning them money to buy excessive amounts of fertilizer and weed killer from agri-chemical outlest they also own. The farmers won't be able to sell ganja to anyone else but Pfizer or Boon Rawd Brewing Company or Thai Tobacco Monopoly or whoever ends up being the national ganja behemoth. In further depressing visions of the non-future I have beheld  you won't even be able to legally grow at home soon because the corporations won't want you encroaching on their profits.

I know there are at least two groups of Farang in the process of setting up Amsterdam style coffee shops, there is going to be an explosion of them in the coming weeks.

• Haha 1

Why bother setting up a real brick and mortar store?

Unless you want to make extra sales from food and drinks. 

Smoking on premises won't be allowed anyway.

Have you thought about making a online shop instead?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have not seen any clear path on how to go about this. As far as I’ve gotten is you need to register with the health department to get the permit to sell/product commercially which needs to be done by a Thai person in their name. 
As far as the cost and any other regulations or permits I have not found any info on it and also how and where to register with the health department. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gilligan In Drag said:

Monopoly or whoever ends up being the national ganja behemoth. In further depressing visions of the non-future I have beheld  you won't even be able to legally grow at home soon because the corporations won't want you encroaching on their profits.

From what I've read, less than 10% of people in the U$ grow there own that smoke

rice555. 

20 minutes ago, rice555 said:

From what I've read, less than 10% of people in the U$ grow there own that smoke

rice555. 

Citation of source would be good as cannabis is not legal across the country. Like alcohol sales ... depends on state and possibly local regulation.

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Are you forgetting that what you consider to be Cannabis is still illegal in Thailand? The THC content permitted in legal cannabis is remarkably low  

Bad quality???

legal THC level not bad quality 

Also you seem to have totally missed the point that if the business is successful in very short order it will be taken over by some rather muscular, or dangerously competent young men acting for some rather interesting individuals who you really really do not want to get on the bad side off.

Getting in the way of some Thai people and a profitable business is not good for your health and welfare as many businesses have discovered over the years.

There is a good chance that you may get accommodation in the Bangkok Hilton (the one in Nothaburi or Chatuchak not Sukhumvit)  if things go well, guest of honour in a ceremony run by the local temple in the worst case.

I read this was only the case for extracts, the actual cannabis itself doesn't have a THC limit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gilligan In Drag said:

If you go to their website, you'll see it's kitchen ganja that they sell, leaf only. So not exactly the same thing as the o.p. is talking about. But, yes I would guess that it  will likely be something like this if psychoactive cannabis is allowed to  take off on a commercial scale, the large corporations will want a monopoly on it and they'll have laws in place like they do with opening a small craft brewery that make it prohibitively expensive for but the very wealthy. The ganja companies will probably want to do what they do with the rice farmers, pay them not even enough to produce the crop and then also get money from them again loaning them money to buy excessive amounts of fertilizer and weed killer from agri-chemical outlest they also own. The farmers won't be able to sell ganja to anyone else but Pfizer or Boon Rawd Brewing Company or Thai Tobacco Monopoly or whoever ends up being the national ganja behemoth. In further depressing visions of the non-future I have beheld  you won't even be able to legally grow at home soon because the corporations won't want you encroaching on their profits.

growing rice is different. The rice needs to be milled and then separated into different grades and packaged. This is very difficult for small famers to do.  

Growing ganja there is no commercial processing that needs to be done and can be harvested and sold locally.  So farmers will have a better opportunity to grow and sell.

However, this is Thailand and I'm sure the government will make adjustments to make sure they get their cut someone.

I like the direction Thailand is going just hope things keep progressing this way.  

Can only grow and smoke cannabis at home.  Not legal to sell anything over 0.2% THC  AFAIK 

"Thailand will soon ease its rules on cannabis and allow people to grow the plant at home – but smoking for recreational purposes is still forbidden, and officials have warned that anyone who creates a smell by doing so in public could be charged.

From Thursday, Thailand will remove cannabis and hemp plants from its narcotics list, part of a drive to tap into the growing interest in infused drinks and medical treatments.

However, only the use of low potency cannabis is permitted. Extracts that contain more than 0.2% of tetrahydrocannabinol, the plant’s psychoactive substance which makes people feel high, remain illegal."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/08/thailand-to-ease-cannabis-rules-but-smokers-warned-over-smell-nuisance

The stores are already open and the weed is high quality high THC. The strains available are from Cali. Cali bud is the best on the planet. The shop on Silom is right in the open on a busy street selling legit high grade. I think the THC level is no matter now. The next thing we will see is bars with smoking it at places like Kao Sahn. Great time to be in Thailand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CLW said:

And cops patrolling to fine smoking farangs with 4,000 baht

Seems reasonable because the law says something like  you can only smoke at home or where others aren't bothered by the smell. I think that maybe designated areas or businesses will have smoke. Don't smoke on the street. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 8:05 PM, dj230 said:

Yea, but it all looks like pretty bad quality cannabis from what I've seen. With cannabis, the quality makes a huge difference. 

The prices in central Bangkok for things are quite overpriced yet I see demand is still there, for example a salon charges a few hundred dollars to colour your hair, thats how much it costs in a high end salon in say Toronto. I see the salons filled all the time though, same with some overpriced restaurants. 

Is it as easy as being able to sell it in a coffee shop? In Toronto you have to get lottery ticket permits to open a store, if it's as easy as just opening a store and selling cannabis it might be worth it, to look into. 

If you were really from Toronto you'd know that almost every street corner had a cannabis store. That didn't last very long.

In Thailand It's never about the product as someone else already pointed out the big c product.  It's about marketing, location and your negotiation skills to reserve and establish the best location.

My wife's first job was marketing and location scouting for 7/11 stores. Now she works for 100,000 a month and generous bonus income because she is the location expert. That's why her company didn't go bankrupt like many Farang businesses. Off the top of my head I could tell you a decent location for this product coud be a bang saray beach. But then again you'd never in a million years be able to open a store there. But she could.

14 minutes ago, chrischronic said:

Seems reasonable because the law says something like  you can only smoke at home or where others aren't bothered by the smell. I think that maybe designated areas or businesses will have smoke. Don't smoke on the street. 

Right. I'm not a smoker but I think since introduction of no smoking laws there are no longer smoking areas in restaurants. Only smoking point and they have to be very far away. For example by law it is no longer allowed to smoke near the entrance of a public building within a 250 meter radius.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, champers said:

Well, Big C apparently have it on sale, 7/11 are under same ownership

Since when does CP own Big C?? AFAIK they own Lotus's / 7/11 and Makro but not Big C!

Edit:

Big C Parent: TCC Group (Thailand, Laos and Cambodia) Central Group & Nguyen Kim Group (Vietnam)

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_C

Edited by MJCM
SpElLiNg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chrischronic said:

The stores are already open and the weed is high quality high THC. The strains available are from Cali. Cali bud is the best on the planet. The shop on Silom is right in the open on a busy street selling legit high grade. I think the THC level is no matter now. The next thing we will see is bars with smoking it at places like Kao Sahn. Great time to be in Thailand!

have pictures? I have yet to see good looking cannabis in Thailand