Legalities opening a Cannabis store

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

If you were really from Toronto you'd know that almost every street corner had a cannabis store. That didn't last very long.

In Thailand It's never about the product as someone else already pointed out the big c product.  It's about marketing, location and your negotiation skills to reserve and establish the best location.

My wife's first job was marketing and location scouting for 7/11 stores. Now she works for 100,000 a month and generous bonus income because she is the location expert. That's why her company didn't go bankrupt like many Farang businesses. Off the top of my head I could tell you a decent location for this product coud be a bang saray beach. But then again you'd never in a million years be able to open a store there. But she could.

Yea, my point being I am not looking to do anything illegal in Thailand and risk getting deported, in Toronto you needed a permit from a lottery system to open a cannabis store. Not sure the laws now.

Getting raided and arrested isn't what I am looking for or having cement blocks placed in front of the store

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/cement-blocks-toronto-illegal-potshops-1.5166676

I thought about the location just being in a higher end area, seems like thats where you'd be able to market high end cannabis, like Siam or Pleonchit or Asoke. I think a beach would be better for a quantity over quality business. I am not sure to be honest, I just noticed how ridiculous prices are in Siam/Pleonchit and the prices of cannabis being high already while the quality was low and connected the dots. I mean people loading their grocery cart with $50 strawberries can probably just print money into business' that offer high quality products like a high end cannabis store. I can't tell if it was a lack of financial education/poor money management skills or just an overwhelming wealth of the people in that area. Some restaurants with ridiculous prices, mediocre food but lines + huge queues out the door. 

Not quite sure I will go through with this idea, but I can see it easily being a 7 figure annual revenue business.

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Not quite sure I will go through with this idea, but I can see it easily being a 7 figure annual revenue business.

More likely a 7 figure amount of tea money to establish your business and keep it open. Good luck

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, MJCM said:

Since when does CP own Big C?? AFAIK they own Lotus's / 7/11 and Makro but not Big C!

Edit:

Big C Parent: TCC Group (Thailand, Laos and Cambodia) Central Group & Nguyen Kim Group (Vietnam)

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_C

You are right, my bad. I got Big C mixed up with Lotus.

On 6/12/2022 at 9:00 PM, BritManToo said:

For the first month ...... then every coffee shop in Thailand will be growing and selling it.

Not to mention the headstart "some" companies got. Was watching a video the other day from  a company in Bangkok now selling bud they gave a tour of their "factory" which was of course a massive commercial hydro set up .   Now not exactly sure when all was made legal but it's, as you know 8-10 weeks lead time to produce anything of quality yet these  people had buds in volume ready to go on the first day of opening. Curious methinks. 

• Haha 2

On 6/12/2022 at 9:00 PM, BritManToo said:

For the first month ...... then every coffee shop in Thailand will be growing and selling it.

Not to mention the headstart "some" companies got. Was watching a video the other day from  a company in Bangkok now selling bud they gave a tour of their "factory" which was of course a massive commercial hydro set up .   Now not exactly sure when all was made legal but it's, as you know 8-10 weeks lead time to produce anything of quality yet these  people had buds in volume ready to go on the first day of opening. Curious methinks. 

2 minutes ago, starky said:

And no doubt wholly or partially owned by members of the current government.

• Like 1

Given that marijuana will no longer be illegal in Thailand starting June 9th, 2022, health authorities have urged the public to smoke on private property. Otherwise, they could get arrested for causing an “odor-based nuisance.”

The Department of Health sent orders to related agencies about the “inappropriate use” of cannabis and a warning that it could lead to arrests and will be charged for causing public nuisance under health laws. People who indulge in smoking cannabis can also face arrest if a nuisance case is filed against them. After the first warning, repeat violations will be fined THB ฿2,000 and a month in jail.

There is no limit on the potency of cannabis. However, creating secondary products such as hashish or oils with a potency of over 0.2% will be condemned. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 7:48 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Only a job a Thai can do, unless your a close personal friend of Anutins......Big C has you beat already.

20220612_131852.jpg

Oh please common, just another round of mushroom copy business in Thailand after coffeeshops, barbershops and what else. With useless products almost nobody is looking for except this specific part being a temporary hype. 

As a 15 year long time medicinal user, former grower and more, I call it pathetic. It's like nobody has something to do or a single idea on their own, now it is crypto winter, everyone is gonna get pink unicorn money from this.

The fact and truth is that technically speaking, all products that are in interest, are still illegal, as they always contain more than the 0.20% limit. For the medicinal products that do qualify, there are plenty providers, Thai only.

Let me guess as the brains here are a bit slow, the next round of mushrooms will be growshops and smartshops. To then see 90% of them go bankrupt again, as they had no business plan in the first place.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Sametboy2019 said:

There is no limit on the potency of cannabis. However, creating secondary products such as hashish or oils with a potency of over 0.2% will be condemned. 

There is no limit on the potency yet you are being illegal if smoking it as such, as well to carry it as a on-the-go drugs, as soon it was cut from the plant. As well for re-selling it, if applicable. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 6/13/2022 at 8:31 AM, Gilligan In Drag said:

If you go to their website, you'll see it's kitchen ganja that they sell, leaf only. So not exactly the same thing as the o.p. is talking about. But, yes I would guess that it  will likely be something like this if psychoactive cannabis is allowed to  take off on a commercial scale, the large corporations will want a monopoly on it and they'll have laws in place like they do with opening a small craft brewery that make it prohibitively expensive for but the very wealthy. The ganja companies will probably want to do what they do with the rice farmers, pay them not even enough to produce the crop and then also get money from them again loaning them money to buy excessive amounts of fertilizer and weed killer from agri-chemical outlest they also own. The farmers won't be able to sell ganja to anyone else but Pfizer or Boon Rawd Brewing Company or Thai Tobacco Monopoly or whoever ends up being the national ganja behemoth. In further depressing visions of the non-future I have beheld  you won't even be able to legally grow at home soon because the corporations won't want you encroaching on their profits.

I guess the stuff in the picture at Big C is kitchen ganja but Green Lab now has the real stuff at fancy prices with names like Destroyer on its website. Perhaps Big C will distribute that in future too. 

• Like 1

Basically there are no legalities to opening a dispensary yet because the Cannabis and Hemp Bill that will legislate licensing and other matters has only passed its first reading in Parliament and may not be passed during this government's tenure.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I guess the stuff in the picture at Big C is kitchen ganja but Green Lab now has the real stuff at fancy prices with names like Destroyer on its website. Perhaps Big C will distribute that in future too. 

Thanks so much, I did not know about Green Lab, I'll have to check it out and the other place mentioned in the ASEAN-Now News today. Yeah, fancy prices, but I'm not going to smoke hardly at all and planning to plant my own, thats whats most satisfying about cannabis to me are the plants. But yeah, I'm curious about the strains these days. I haven't smoked since the mid 1980's. In Northern California, we had good weed available but the only names I ever heard was skunk and sins bud and indica. By the mid 1980's nearly everyone was put off inferior quality commercial Colombian, so the former three types were the only ones apart from what you and your friends grew. Cheers!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 8:31 AM, Gilligan In Drag said:

If you go to their website, you'll see it's kitchen ganja that they sell, leaf only. So not exactly the same thing as the o.p. is talking about. But, yes I would guess that it  will likely be something like this if psychoactive cannabis is allowed to  take off on a commercial scale, the large corporations will want a monopoly on it and they'll have laws in place like they do with opening a small craft brewery that make it prohibitively expensive for but the very wealthy. The ganja companies will probably want to do what they do with the rice farmers, pay them not even enough to produce the crop and then also get money from them again loaning them money to buy excessive amounts of fertilizer and weed killer from agri-chemical outlest they also own. The farmers won't be able to sell ganja to anyone else but Pfizer or Boon Rawd Brewing Company or Thai Tobacco Monopoly or whoever ends up being the national ganja behemoth. In further depressing visions of the non-future I have beheld  you won't even be able to legally grow at home soon because the corporations won't want you encroaching on their profits.

yep, it for tea. not the one people want ahhaha

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 4:00 PM, CLW said:

Right. I'm not a smoker but I think since introduction of no smoking laws there are no longer smoking areas in restaurants. Only smoking point and they have to be very far away. For example by law it is no longer allowed to smoke near the entrance of a public building within a 250 meter radius.

But they still smoke on every single terrace and not weed, just %hit cigarettes for brainless !