Is Pattaya really cheaper than Phuket ?

7 hours ago, Peterphuket said:
5 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

You are basically saying, with various rants some of which are unfounded, that Phuket was better in terms of natural beauty 20 years ago. Really? Who would have guessed.

Pattaya was ugly 20 years ago

4 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Just because a comment is negative does not mean it is not true.  Are you a thai apologist also.  Or are you one of the wannabe big swinging D posters.  Oh Phuket is very expensive but that does not effect me because I am richer than you.

The true litmus test here is from the Thais themselves.  You will have to hold a gun the the head of most Thais to get them to go to Phuket.  I have lived here a very long time and have lots of well to do middle class Thai friends with professional careers.  A good while back I had a four story multi bed and bathroom property right in the very heart of Phuket town.  I invited all of my Thai friends to come and stay.  Not one of them took me up on the offer.  All of them said the same thing.  Too expensive.  While thinking about this issue the penny dropped for me.  A street food meal back then was circa 30-35 baht in Patts but 50-60 baht in Phuket.  At the time the AUD was above 30 baht.  So 60 was still almost free in my mind.  But then I thought about it carefully and it dawned on me that the price was at least 100% more expensive than anywhere else in Thailand.

Imagine if someone back in your own country invited you to come and visit them in their town.  But the cost of a basic meal was 100% more expensive than your home town.

OK, you don't know me but of course, you have an insulting opinion of me already formed. My point was simply, yes, Phuket is more expensive than the rest of Thailand. You've just confirmed that with your missive. Your only complaint seems to be the price and all your friends agree with you and nobody will go to Phuket because of the price. Other than price, I guess Phuket could be OK. And that was my point.

8 hours ago, Red Forever said:

Everwhere is cheaper than rip off island Phuket.

A nasty, miserable place inhabited by self entitled, above the law crooks.

heck ... you heard I was living there ... how'd that get out so fast ????????

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Phuket is a Province, not a town like Pattaya. It has many different areas to live or holiday in and prices vary. Dedicated tourist towns on popular beaches are expensive in the same way all major tourist destinations world wide are. Taxi transport in the Province is a major ripoff, however you are asking about bike hire which is not astronomically priced. Most expats live outside the tourist areas and pay similar prices to other major areas in Thailand.

Pattaya, a town, is cheap and taudrey, spawned as an R and R destination for troops from the Vietnam war. It doesn't have the natural beauty of the Island of Phuket and it's surrounding major tourist attractions.

If cheaper is your main consideration, Pattaya, the town, is the place for you, but do consider that all the nasty comments above emanate from the type of people who live there. 

I thought I’d retire in Phuket or say Hua HIN for sure rather than Pattaya. During lockdown though I saw a lot of YouTube showing what you can get in Pattaya in terms of accommodation, with gym and big pool, and facilities eg restaurants, supermarkets, shopping and entertainment etc, all in a fairly close area. Beaches looked pleasant to look at and there are islands nearby good for swimming.  Used to live in St Kilda  in Australia for years and rarely swum at the beach but liked a ride or a walk on the foreshore so not a big deal if water not pristine.
I feel like Phuket doesnt have the same thing all in one place though I could be wrong. Maybe Patong but that might be criticised like Pattaya. Rawai looks promising but small. Transport though is so much more expensive. Could stay in Phuket town and get a car to go to beaches etc but how can you park at a nice beach eg Kata and Karon. Still might lean towards Phuket but I think the image of Pattaya Jomtiem Wongamatt etc as just simply sleaze is not all that fair. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

well said. Still in the south, you could find much of what you seem to look for in Krabi/Lanta, at more reasonable rates than the main Phuket places.

I had in recent years switched away from Phuket to Krabi,so this was a return based on the fact that Krabi would be dead and Phuket would at least  have some life and be more.ike the old days . Didn’t like Krabi much ,been a couple of times.

In my opinion two different places and not comparable. 

I would choose Pattaya because of 90 min to Suvarnabhumi airport, closer to Bangkok, and more for the money.

Pattaya traffic horrible, same for Phuket, but right outside you reach two highways going north and south.

However scenery riding motorbike is boring all the way up to Korat, with very little contrasts and interesting roads or scenery, comparing to south and North Thailand which is a paradise in compare.

Beaches in  Phuket or in the region is very good, and Pattaya have one Island with decent beaches but poor water quality.

I prefer live outside tourist areas, and go holiday when tired of daily life. Life taste better with contrasts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Phuket is a Province, not a town like Pattaya. It has many different areas to live or holiday in and prices vary. Dedicated tourist towns on popular beaches are expensive in the same way all major tourist destinations world wide are. Taxi transport in the Province is a major ripoff, however you are asking about bike hire which is not astronomically priced. Most expats live outside the tourist areas and pay similar prices to other major areas in Thailand.

Pattaya, a town, is cheap and taudrey, spawned as an R and R destination for troops from the Vietnam war. It doesn't have the natural beauty of the Island of Phuket and it's surrounding major tourist attractions.

If cheaper is your main consideration, Pattaya, the town, is the place for you, but do consider that all the nasty comments above emanate from the type of people who live there. 

Thought your perspective might be interesting as if I recall a fellow Australian CSS or PSS superannuation person. 

Much, much cheaper and by far more convenient to live. If I could, I would move to Patts tmw. Phuket prices are a killer in comparison. Not even considering the very unique vibe Pattaya has.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Imo

Krabi is cheaper than Phuket

Phuket is cheaper than Hua Hin

Phuket town is cheap and has good food. 

Phuket is fine if you have 80,000 baht a month. If 50,000 baht a month krabi be better or Pattaya.

My personal experience been to both places few months ago, Hua Hin is convinient cheaper than Phuket, and Krabi was comfortable empty and cheaper. Right now a  quiet paradise

The OP might have been better off asking which was more value for money (VFM). Generally speaking you get what you pay for.

I live in Pattaya and like it here; the sea is dirty but I can swim at my condo, where there is also a gym. Cheap public transport is a big plus too.

Pattaya is a little sleazy but I enjoy that from time to time. 

Phuket; and many other places; is only an hours flight from U-Tapao, and vice-versa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, champers said:

The OP might have been better off asking which was more value for money (VFM). Generally speaking you get what you pay for.

I live in Pattaya and like it here; the sea is dirty but I can swim at my condo, where there is also a gym. Cheap public transport is a big plus too.

Pattaya is a little sleazy but I enjoy that from time to time. 

Phuket; and many other places; is only an hours flight from U-Tapao, and vice-versa.

The closer to beach you live, the less you use it, unless you doing any watersport is my experience.

I use it more when I'm visiting than when living next to it ☺️.

The nicest with the beaches is beach bars and restaurants

Edited by Hummin

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The closer to beach you live, the less you use it, unless you doing any watersport is my experience.

I use it more when I'm visiting than when living next to it ☺️.

The nicest with the beaches is beach bars and restaurants

True i live in beach city. Never go.

Beaches r for holidays.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

And if you do rent or own a scooter you will also be "systematically raped" by the Phuket cops who set up checkpoints all over the place targeting farangs

nope.

not when you have a motorcycle license, wear a helmet and have the paperwork in order

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Again so very true. I've seen it all my life and not only with beaches. Same goes for forests, mountains, you name it. Dunno why but that's the way it goes with humans.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

Again so very true. I've seen it all my life and not only with beaches. Same goes for forests, mountains, you name it. Dunno why but that's the way it goes with humans.

Take it for granted

Food in the fridge not exciting

• Like 1