G and H keyboard keys won’t work on a Dell 620

Longwood50

I have a spare older Dell 620 computer.  It was fine the last time I used it. Now I boot it up and two keys the G & H key won’t type. I have searched the internet and see others have experienced the same thing. I reloaded the drivers but that does not correct it. The G and H key will work on the on screen keyboard. Is this a computer glitch that can be corrected or a hardware problem. If hardware does anyone know a place to fix the keyboard 

maybe a bit of muck/ debris under the keys (do these keys have a slightly different feel when pressed). a hardware fault would more likely take out a row or column. could be the contacts on both keys are oxidised. do they work when pressed down hard(ish) and wriggled?

try.... 1. keyboard upside down, give it a mild shake. 2. vacuum, blow, compressed air canister around these two keys in particular. 3. gently prise up these 2 keys to see if anything is underneath them.

after that then a shop visit, can not really recommend any in particular, loads around though, eg tuk com pattaya. use a computer shop rather than a phone repair shop. 

doubt any of this will help, but always worth a try...

As far as I know the on screen keyboard is not connected to the real keyboard. So that it works on the on screen keyboard does not mean that the keyboard is good and its a driver problem.

Sometimes computers just fail, maybe bring it to a shop to look at.

Enter the bios, find a field in which you can type letters (for example set a bios password, then you can type in this field), and try if the G and H keys work.

If they do work there you know it's a software problem. If they also don't work in the BIOS, it's a hardware problem.

If this is a spare computer do you have another keyboard you could try?  Or even buy a new keyboard?  As said probably dirt so even a take apart/put back together might be worthwhile.  As said a new usable keyboard is not very expensive in worst case.  If it does not fix it you have an extra keyboard for working computer.

• Like 2