CELIBACY!!!... Is this state of mind the New Normal???

My Dear Friends,

We have read about what is going on in Japan, these days...

The fertility rate in Japan continues to decline, and it is headed down through the cellar, for sure, never to recover..

Why is this?

Is Japan, the men and women of Japan, collectively, onto something really good?

We all know that Japan has long been at the forefront of cultural innovation.  And, also, K-pop is just nothing more than monkey see, monkey do, from guys in Korea based on what went before in Japan.  Japan is still Number One, and is at the bleeding edge of what will soon become the norm for the rest of Asia, in so many respects.  Everybody knows this, even Chomsky.

Culturally speaking, we now hear that many/most young guys are just too bored to get it on with hot chicks in Tokyo and other Japanese cities.

Why is this?

I am not here to write a coherent essay extolling the many benefits of becoming celibate after the age of 45. There is no need. Everyone here already knows the many benefits, fully well. Why beat this old horse, again…to death?

Also, there is no need for me to add citations, from learned publications, referencing what we all know is happening. Because, sexually speaking, the culture in Japan and other Asian countries is changing fast, not to mention that the same thing is happening in my favorite place, at least. my favorite up until the night of 30 June, 1997, China.

In addition, please do not ask me if this is a “serious” Topic!

YES!

This IS a serious topic, and it becomes seriouser, and seriouser, by the day, sociologically speaking.

In fact, our world, these days, is in a state of flux as it has never been, far greater than the good old days when we first emerged out of Africa, a small tribe at the time, one which would truly become the most prolific mammal of all animals in the Animal Kingdom.

As we all know, Change = Stress.  This is a given if you know anything about human/animal behavior, and I am a behaviorist, or, at least I was during the heyday of Skinner.

Speaking of “stress”, I know, as do you, that practicing celibacy is one of the best ways to relieve ourselves of stress.  Or…would you prefer, relatively speaking, a very stressful marriage and breakup, or some sort of other contorted relationship with the opposite sex, per se, such as engaging just for a short-lived hookup-producing dopamine rush?..One which leaves you dry, very dry, yet somehow not fully satisfied?

I have just begun to attack this topic about which I hesitate to write overly much.  I could write for days and days, yet never reach the end of it.

But I can tell you that this topic is just the tip of the iceberg which we are now facing, both in Asia and around the globe, as well.

Celibacy is the true wave of the future, just judging by what is happening among the youth in Japan, and I mean the guys who now stay, forever, in their rooms, alone, signifying nothing.

Yes.  This has happened in Japan for years, and continues to happen.

And, please, My Friends, do not think that this cannot happen here.

Sinclair Lewis wrote about this, at the beginning of the last century, 1935.

In fact, it is already happening.

=======

These somewhat sorry days in which we find ourselves are changing fast.

And, as you know, during recent years, there seems to be increasing alienation between males and females. This is obviously true of both sexes, either living in Occidental cultures or in Asian cultures.  So many pop-media channels, such at the NYT, have harped upon this development during recent years, and you, thusly, might be tired of hearing further about it.

I have even heard it said that some women in the West now believe that men are toxic, just due to the Y chromosome anomaly.

But what they might not realize is that sometimes genes are expressed, and sometimes genes are not expressed, or genes might be too fully expressed, in some cases, for the liking of some.  We now know this to be true after much recent research utilizing modern-day biochemistry to study gene expression.

=========

One thing you might not realize as much as you should, and this is that alienation between the sexes, as I suggested above, is becoming ever more palpable … Please just check out the blatant lyrics of pop music during the recent two decades.

I am not a prude for the pop music lyrics of the present.

Instead, I have become blessedly celibate, partially as a reaction to same.

Need I go on?

No.

Instead, I would leave you with an image of what life between the sexes might be like in the year 2525, if Man is still alive:

I am just quoting the script of this great film: "We have come across some illegal sexual activity"

====

As I say, the best way to go is to stay within the law.

Just remain celibate.

Stay risk free.

No safes necessary.

Best regards,

Glob

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

image.thumb.jpeg.64b59c2d0e75cc06e3454fdc2a93fac0.jpeg

Man!

Pop Psychology surely does rub us  the wrong way.... Right?

Quite a number of years ago....

While walking through any international airport....

You might have easily seen a plethora of women, of all types....

Carrying this book, "Men are from Mars".

Such banality!

Such drivel!

What once, for a short moment, seemed so very insightful....

Became Pop Garbage of yesteryear, so very rapidly.

So, then...

Why read drivel?...

When Men can do this.....instead???

image.jpeg.6023e63a7b99cc93cf475c8c68f3ca20.jpeg

Just a question which deserves a decent answer, maybe.

Also, just parenthetically.....

What is the difference between Stamford and Stanford?

Do you often become confused by these two proper nouns?

Especially if you are an American?

Here is the difference,,,,,

This is Stanford:

image.jpeg.c5de5257fa12a463b9fc5e5247e77371.jpeg

And this is Stamford,,,,,,

image.jpeg.efc1f6e5dc596432c9a27404ae7bf41a.jpeg

Such a difference does an M and an N make.....

I often confuse the two.

Of course, most lighthouse keepers are celibate, by the very nature of their work.

I could easily be a lightkeeper.

And, you?

((Lighthouse keepers were sometimes referred to as "wikies" because of their job trimming the wicks.))

Women lighthouse keepers, throughout history, were particularly good at trimming wicks.

Have you ever had your wick trimmed by a keeper?

• Haha 1

Demographic collapse is indeed a disaster.

Most impacted country is Korea.

Koreans are literally going extincted right now.

A lot of suffering ahead, especially for old people.

Many of them will face extreme levels of poverty and loneliness.

Main driver of this ongoing extinction event is urbanization.

Too much competition + not enough space = high levels of stress.

You can add to this the toxic culture of consumerism which acts as a distraction from reality (you gonna die and so you need to reproduce) and a social status game (buy new stuff or else you won't exist - better invest in a Tesla than a baby).

Survival instinct and reproductive instinct are totally out of balance.

People are focused on existing through their private collection of artifacts (symbolic way of showing one's ability to survive despite tough competition) and children are seen as a threat to one's well-being and ability to shine.

Thailand's nightlife is an allegory of all this.

That's why I love it so much.

Humans are one f????cked up species, that's for sure ????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

Demographic collapse is indeed a disaster.

Most impacted country is Korea.

Koreans are literally going extincted right now.

A lot of suffering ahead, especially for old people.

Many of them will face extreme levels of poverty and loneliness.

Main driver of this ongoing extinction event is urbanization.

Too much competition + not enough space = high levels of stress.

You can add to this the toxic culture of consumerism which acts as a distraction from reality (you gonna die and so you need to reproduce) and a social status game (buy new stuff or else you won't exist - better invest in a Tesla than a baby).

Survival instinct and reproductive instinct are totally out of balance.

People are focused on existing through their private collection of artifacts (symbolic way of showing one's ability to survive despite tough competition) and children are seen as a threat to one's well-being and ability to shine.

Thailand's nightlife is an allegory of all this.

That's why I love it so much.

Humans are one f????cked up species, that's for sure ????

So insightful.

I love comments such as yours.

Unfortunately, too rare here, or on other forums, for my liking.

There should be far more of the same.

Soon, no doubt...

There will be far more, when reality finally begins to hit home.

Note:  How are your daily cortisol levels these days, by the way?

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

In terms of demographic collapse I thought China was leading the way ? The young don't seem to want to create families, preferring to be independent. I was surprised by the hook up culture in Pattaya even among professional women. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

In terms of demographic collapse I thought China was leading the way ? The young don't seem to want to create families, preferring to be independent. I was surprised by the hook up culture in Pattaya even among professional women. 

Perhaps, the reason for this is that they are unable to visualize a better future for themselves. 

Might it be possible that, finally, the recognition of the state of our planet is beginning to filter down to the hoi polloi? 

By the way, my friend, we are now WAY past the Age of Anxiety. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

By the way, my friend, we are now WAY past the Age of Anxiety. 

Meaning to free individuals from the constraints of authoritative cultural traditions and institutions ? I'm not sure that is true. Both the west and east seem to be authoritarian to various degrees. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

Meaning to free individuals from the constraints of authoritative cultural traditions and institutions ? I'm not sure that is true. Both the west and east seem to be authoritarian to various degrees. 

Sorry...

I meant:  Nuclear Anxiety, etc., etc., etc.

• Haha 1

I grew up during the cold War so we were always aware of the nuclear problem and risks. The problem today is that the young are ignorant of the risks. 

The Australian defence minister said that in US war games related to Taiwan nuclear weapons were always used. Even in the latest simulation that I saw relating to Taiwan US bases like Guam were attacked and then the Chinese resorted to nukes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

I grew up during the cold War so we were always aware of the nuclear problem and risks. The problem today is that the young are ignorant of the risks. 

The Australian defence minister said that in US war games related to Taiwan nuclear weapons were always used. Even in the latest simulation that I saw relating to Taiwan US bases like Guam were attacked and then the Chinese resorted to nukes. 

In fact, young people, today, are far more cognizant of present-day existential risks than young people were of lesser risks when you were young. 

These days, so unfortunately, young people are bombarded with relevant, validated information... 

Bombs Away! 

And, therefore, this knowledge and stress affects their choices in life, as well as their behavior and feelings of hope/doom for their future. 

You are so fortunate to be old. 

The older, the better... 

Let this be our watchword and mantra. 

Surely, during this Newest Age of Anxiety, one in which we face three major existential threats, we cannot be expected to keep up our libido.

Maybe this is the reason why many more of us are suddenly going limp, these days.

Maybe, also, this is why young guys in Japan have now lost interest in lubricated tubes.

And, it is not only the Japanese young men who are getting onboard with virginity.

Any ONE of the following three is enough to soften even the hardest of men:

a. The Old School Nuclear Winter is enough to shrivel one's sack.

b. Radically increasing rates of extinction of species is a real turnoff. Yet, the mosquito remains a vector for disease around the world.

c. Toxification of our environment.  Some guys love to toxify themselves with plant byproducts.  But, this is not the real existential danger to our world.

Any one of these top three threats, if anyone were to think of one while in the sack, might cause even the most virile of men to get out of bed, and head to the medicine cabinet for a downer.

This is NO JOKE, my friends.

I suspect that MUCH of social behavior among our youth is being driven by underlying feelings which are directly related to the future of our planet.....

HOW could this be OTHERWISE???

Maybe this is the point of this topic.

I mean, I DO know the point of this topic, for example.

And this is just one of the points I had hoped to broach.

Yes, I have been wondering, for the past several years, just how much the knowledge of the state of our planet truly does affects our youth.  Our youth, as you realize, would never admit to it.

Perhaps, somebody should get funding, a heck of a lot of funding, in order to define, more clearly, just how much the bleak future, the deteriorating future, of human habitability of our planet affects our youth in a multiplicity of ways.

Maybe.

Good Topic for Research, though...Maybe.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

3 hours ago, Sqoop said:

What constraints? If one lives under the radar, IMO there are none. Certainly I do not feel any.

The choice is there, when one is old either wear out or rust out. Becoming a couch potato posting lengthy musings on ASEAN has no appeal to me, I think I have a better quality of life being active.

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What constraints? If one lives under the radar, IMO there are none. Certainly I do not feel any.

The choice is there, when one is old either wear out or rust out. Becoming a couch potato posting lengthy musings on ASEAN has no appeal to me, I think I have a better quality of life being active.

So then...

Are you on the hedonic treadmill, perchance?

Do you disagree that there is a hedonic "baseline" above which you cannot last for long?

Are you always striving*, striving*, until, at the very end, you might ask yourself.....

SAME AS IT EVER WAS...

No matter what you do....

Right?

Ask yourself.

In the end, it ups to you.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

30 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So then...

Are you on the hedonic treadmill, perchance?

Do you disagree that there is a hedonic "baseline" above which you cannot last for long?

Are you always striving*, striving*, until, at the very end, you might ask yourself.....

SAME AS IT EVER WAS...

No matter what you do....

Right?

Ask yourself.

In the end, it ups to you.

Not really, I have slowed down considerably. About twice a month is enough.

I assume you are familiar with the aphorism use it or lose it?

First of all, a declining population is a beautiful thing. It benefits nearly everyone. The last thing this planet needs is more babies. Nations can deal with declining labor pools. 

Second, a declining population does not necessarily correlate with celibacy. While it is generally true that Gen Z has less sex than previous generations, many Japanese women are crazy hot, and it is likely they are getting just as busy as always. However, they are being more careful, and many are deciding not to have kids, or having fewer kids. That is a worldwide trend, it is an amazingly positive and beneficial trend, and the only exceptions are primarily Muslim nations. 

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Not really, I have slowed down considerably. About twice a month is enough.

I assume you are familiar with the aphorism use it or lose it?

I assume you are referring to:

Howard Hughes?

He had it.

He used it .

image.jpeg.20004cceb5a9297869e5590f98cac18c.jpeg

Yet, even while using it,...
He lost it....

image.jpeg.05855bc5bf758e337aed3c62631f2243.jpeg

Question is:

Why?

Hughes-and-Harlow-Angels-in-Hell-Adverti.xcf

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

First of all, a declining population is a beautiful thing. It benefits nearly everyone. The last thing this planet needs is more babies. Nations can deal with declining labor pools. 

Second, a declining population does not necessarily correlate with celibacy. While it is generally true that Gen Z has less sex than previous generations, many Japanese women are crazy hot, and it is likely they are getting just as busy as always. However, they are being more careful, and many are deciding not to have kids, or having fewer kids. That is a worldwide trend, it is an amazingly positive and beneficial trend, and the only exceptions are primarily Muslim nations. 

If this is what you believe then....

Unfortunately, so very unfortunately, you will NEVER see a declining world population in your lifetime.

Not unless, perhaps, you discover a cure for aging.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I assume you are referring to:

Howard Hughes?

He had it.

He used it .

image.jpeg.20004cceb5a9297869e5590f98cac18c.jpeg

Yet, even while using it,...
He lost it....

image.jpeg.05855bc5bf758e337aed3c62631f2243.jpeg

Question is:

Why?

Hughes-and-Harlow-Angels-in-Hell-Adverti.xcf 438.74 kB · 0 downloads

The question to me is why you would think I am treading the same path as him.

8 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I replied, only, to the aphorism you mentioned.

We are all on different paths.

And, all roads lead to Rome.

In the end.

There is no reason why the journey cannot be improved.

Six years ago, I was taking four different medications for sleep disorder, gastric reflux, chronic osteoarthritis, and high blood pressure. My body mass was 100 kg, blood pressure without medication 180/100, pulse rate 80 bpm.

I said goodbye to the last of those medications a week ago. My body mass is now 83 kg. My blood pressure is normal, swimming and stretching keeps my osteoarthritis under control, gastric reflux is gone due to changes in my eating patterns. I sleep as well as I want to. My pulse rate averages 54 bpm, which for my age is close to elite athlete level. Not that I look like one. I have broken my age on a golf course.

If there is one lesson I have learned during my almost 80 years here, it is that one gets out of life what they are prepared to put into it.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There is no reason why the journey cannot be improved.

Six years ago, I was taking four different medications for sleep disorder, gastric reflux, chronic osteoarthritis, and high blood pressure. My body mass was 100 kg, blood pressure without medication 180/100, pulse rate 80 bpm.

I said goodbye to the last of those medications a week ago. My body mass is now 83 kg. My blood pressure is normal, swimming and stretching keeps my osteoarthritis under control, gastric reflux is gone due to changes in my eating patterns. I sleep as well as I want to. My pulse rate averages 54 bpm, which for my age is close to elite athlete level. Not that I look like one. I have broken my age on a golf course.

If there is one lesson I have learned during my almost 80 years here, it is that one gets out of life what they are prepared to put into it.

You have done very well in that you have reached such a ripe old age.

As you know, only things such as the Hindenburg disaster is older than you.

But, seriously, I think it is inspirational to the rest of us young sons to know that there is still some life possible at almost 80.

May you continue to improve your cardio, your swimming, some light weight lifting, and some in and out, if necessary.

The thing is...

For most people, we begin to learn how precious life truly is only after we approach decrepitude.

May decrepitude never happen to the likes of you!

(Please note:  As we age, it is natural for our BPM to slow.  Even Chomsky knows this, and he is now a spry 93 years young with 98 percent of his memory still intact.  Unfortunately, he is still despised by 92 percent of Americans, give or take. )

Anyway:  Keep it up.  And, keep it stiff.  Who needs Viagra?  Personally, I do not.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1