Full Moon Party: Locals fear uncontrolled "ganja-fest" after MPs propose allowing use to promote tourism

webfact

2 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

I thought these parties always were a ganja fest, just no one ever admitted it.

From now on the police will have to think up new reasons to arrest the revelers.

The cynic in me suggests that the BiB will find a way to establish that the THC content is more than 0.2% and levy their usual hefty fines to allow the crime to ‘go away’.... 

Its potentially a good earner...   Dope is legal, but not that dope !

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

I'm sure this is going to attract those wealthy tourists Thailand was so adamant about bringing into the country.

At 700 gram, the poor backpackers are going to find that their bit of smoke costs as much as several days worth of food, 10 bottles of beer, or a night's accommodation in single/double room. Of course, there should be cheaper stuff of lesser quality available on the black market. But I can only imagine that the air will be pungent with marijuana smoke at the party. It will be like a return of the old days, especially if someone can also rustle up some ecstasy.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, animatic said:

They really do not understand ganja.

Obviously.

It is not like Yabaa, nor Alcohol, nor Cocaine. Not even Extacy/Molly which mostly causes excessive dancing or excessive sex. Ganja’s the antithesis of all the standard full moon party drugs.

If ‘out of control” is  sitting on the sand digging the music, then ganja’s the drug. Maybe they aren’t stocked up with enough bud to make up for the loss of Yabaa revenue.

They very clearly understand ganga, it was a part of the culture on phangan long before the first tourist arrived. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

oh dear   !    17,000 pot heads running loose at a full moon party  .....    

what could possibly go wrong    !!

I wonder if they had to bring a note from their mommies to saying it's ok to go?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

It doesn't matter what the THC content is in buds and leaves.  The entire plant was dropped from Category 5 of the Narcotics Act apart from extracts like oil and hashish. But what's on sale on Koh Phangan is just weed.  So perfectly legal. 

The BiB used to traffic most of the dope on those islands themselves and constantly recycle it as they bust backpackers and confiscate their stashes.  They will be losing out big time and will be looking for alternative ways of making money.

It is quite difficult to muster up sympathy for a vampire subculture, that feeds on the blood of society and tourism. 

• Like 1