Moving from Australia to Thailand

I'm not sure if this is the right place but does anyone know or have had experience with sea freight agents for shipping household effects from Australia to Thailand as a part container load and any import restrictions/charges etc?

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Old thread However a starting point.

Thanks Dr Jack for the reference, but the thread is over 6 years old now. I was hoping for something more current as I know cost have skyrocketed on sea freight.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Cow said:

Thanks Dr Jack for the reference, but the thread is over 6 years old now

Yeah realize that.

Was just trying to get your thread moved. 

There are recent threads about your question 

As usual with Thailand some positive experiences and some sad.

Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

The old thread from @DrJack54 was useful, 'Seven Seas Worldwide' looks very good for Oz to Bkk shipping (googled and still current)

What I really like is you get your own 'MoveCube' for your stuff (small, medium or large). This is small that suits me

Screenshot_20220616-132027_Messenger.jpg

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Thanks 1

Sorry if this is in the wrong place mods but I'm not a good navigator.

I know this is a forlorn hope but can I take my beloved motorcycle to Thailand? It is a 2003 model 1100cc. I have heard it is really difficult. Is there another way? Say to Malaysia or Cambodia and then take it over the border? I am willing to bear a fair amount of cost to do it as I've had it a long time and I hate to have to part with it.

1 hour ago, Hugh Cow said:

Sorry if this is in the wrong place mods but I'm not a good navigator.

I know this is a forlorn hope but can I take my beloved motorcycle to Thailand? It is a 2003 model 1100cc. I have heard it is really difficult. Is there another way? Say to Malaysia or Cambodia and then take it over the border? I am willing to bear a fair amount of cost to do it as I've had it a long time and I hate to have to part with it.

From all accounts, it's not worth it.

You will get more information/replies if you repost this in the motoring forum.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Cow said:

I know this is a forlorn hope but can I take my beloved motorcycle to Thailand? It is a 2003 model 1100cc. I have heard it is really difficult.

I previously had a Harley springer.

Wanted to bring it over (this was about 10 years ago). 

Anyway I did look into it and seemed a nightmare.

Then I ran into a USA guy in random bar.

He had transported his Bike from the states and summed it up well...

....."worst thing I ever did, if I had known....." 

Don't do it

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2022 at 10:15 AM, aussiexpat said:

The old thread from @DrJack54 was useful, 'Seven Seas Worldwide' looks very good for Oz to Bkk shipping (googled and still current)

What I really like is you get your own 'MoveCube' for your stuff (small, medium or large). This is small that suits me

Screenshot_20220616-132027_Messenger.jpg

Just one point, suggest to ensure there's a very clear understanding in a written form, whether the goods will be subject to Thai customs taxes.

Why? My experience : I had a shipment of old used second hand text books, all different text books, no duplicate books, sent from Australia to Bkk, the 'package' was about half the size of a shipping pallet and about 20 cm tall, about 25 - 30Kg.

Shipping company agent claimed there was no customs duty applicable.

Thai Customs asked what the books would be used for.  Response 'To be used by an MBA professor to prepare additional teaching materials.'

Customs refused to accept that and insisted that they must be taxed as new books and all the same book.   

I paid about AUD200- to get the shipment cleared by customs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 6:55 AM, Will27 said:

From all accounts, it's not worth it.

You will get more information/replies if you repost this in the motoring forum.

I've noticed before that there's sometimes difficulties with importing cars/motorcycles/vehicles into Thailand (perhaps all counties) in terms of complicance with various engineering specs as required by local laws.

Edited by scorecard