Lottery vendors complain of unsold tickets after the launch of digital sales

snoop1130

I was actually really surprised online sales were allowed.  Most street based businesses in Thailand have a "mafia" element that facilitate price-fixing and prevent competition.  I guess this is not (or no longer?) the case with lottery tickets.

Does anyone know why the lottery has been singled out for this sort of "gouge protection"?

• Like 1

In the states we can buy lottery tickets at local 7/11s, convenience stores, supermarkets, etc.  There isn't an army of people walking/sitting around just selling tickets.

Time for the vendors to find a new line of work.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

So they still openly tell reporters that they overcharge.  I know my Thai woman just accepted this as normal.  Can anyone explain to me how your redeem a winning number?  I was told you go back to the seller and he determines his and your cut.  But I know there are two lottery systems running. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

Can anyone explain to me how your redeem a winning number?  I was told you go back to the seller and he determines his and your cut

Half correct, if it's a small amount you can redeem your winnings at the small lottery shops, if you have a substantial win (over 10,000b?) you'll need to find a government run lottery office.

In the past I've won 4,000b, gave the ticket to my wife, she went to a local lottery shop and received all 4k, no vendor "cut" given.

So the sellers are the biggest gamblers?

1 they gamble they will sell all their tickets.

2 they gamble that any tickets they don't sell are winning tickets to cover their loss.

Curious asks...am I correct?

Edited by wombat

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I assure you they exist.... 

Surprised you have missed them, as they often occupied spots at the entrances to Malls and supermarkets. 

They sure do...their is a very pretty lady in a wheel chair with the neatest bike and side car set up that gives her independence I ever did see at the entrance to Friendship market every lottery cycle 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bbko said:

In the states we can buy lottery tickets at local 7/11s, convenience stores, supermarkets, etc.  There isn't an army of people walking/sitting around just selling tickets.

Time for the vendors to find a new line of work.

There are many disabled sellers of lottery tickets who will find it next to impossible to find alternative work.

• Thanks 1

Why shouldn't the lottery sellers make a profit?

They provide a service by selling the product either near, or taking it to, the customers.

No-one complains when other businesses add on a margin for profit.

As has been said before. Many of the sellers would find it difficult to find other employment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, Elkski said:

So they still openly tell reporters that they overcharge.  I know my Thai woman just accepted this as normal.  Can anyone explain to me how your redeem a winning number?  I was told you go back to the seller and he determines his and your cut.  But I know there are two lottery systems running. 

GF tells me the  shop takes a cut of 3%.

Maybe all the lottery sellers should start selling Rizla's instead with all these weed shops opening up.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

Each city should set up a department that allots tickets forsale,  only to registered disabled, who inturn must sell at the correct price...80 baht.  If found to sell wholesale to others then they lose the right right. There is a legal system that vendor selling overpriced tickets can be banned. Each seller purchases the tickets at a trade price allowing them to recieve a profit which I believe is about 10 baht per ticket sold, so every 2 weeks a vendor with a 1000 tickets would make 20k per month. Not bad for sitting around. Those who jumped on the band wagon, buy at 80baht sell at 100baht, make double that!  and that only on a 1000 tickets! think about a high traffic location and incresed sales. ....Why am I working so hard?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Anyone know how much the street vendors pay for their batch of tickets?  Are they paying 80b per tickets or are they getting them at a wholesale price?

4 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Should let the registered disabled sell the tickets only, at 80 baht and the rest sold online.

Keep the scum bags out of it.

What do you wanna bet that if that kind of rule was introduced, more kids would be kidnapped every year and their limbs broken and set wrong so their pimps could make money off them?

It already happens here! ????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3