Kad Suan Kaew is closing

TheAppletons

On 6/19/2022 at 9:58 AM, deej said:

I have a Account and ATM card, with Bangkok Bank, at  KSK

where my Australian old age pension  are transferred into, with KSK closing, will this service continue as normal.

Mny thks in advance

The fellow at the currency exchange desk told me yesterday that Central Festival branch would be a good option for me, and that I won't have to transfer money or close accounts, just bank as normal using my existing bank books etc. Hope it's true, although I'm not enthralled with Central Festival.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2022 at 8:29 AM, CMoldie said:

Last night the staff in Bangkok Bank were saying that they had not yet decided what to do about relocation of accounts. When SCB closed their branch in KSK a couple of years back all of the accounts were transferred to their Nimman branch. No choice given to the account holders.

If you want foreigner friendly service and shopping mall hours then the Airport Plaza branch has been recommended to me. It is also within walking distance of immigration.

When K Bank permanently closed their branch at Promenade the accounts were automatically changed to the Big C Don Chan K Bank branch. I heard some customers were unhappy however K Bank staff explained that the concept of 'belonging' to a specific branch is dying; all customers are under the management of K Bank as a total entity. And regardless of location/change of location account numbers never change.

At about the same time I called the K Bank call center, for a diferent reason, the call centre office explained it the same way ...the concept of 'belonging' to a specific branch is dying; all customers are under the management of K Bank as a total entity. And regardless of location/change of location account numbers never change.

HISTORY: after the 1997 crash banks in Thailand went through mergers and whatever. The end result was that several banks were 'swallowed up' and their original names disappeared.

One incident, bank branch in Pattaya closed very quickly, account holders suddenly discovered that the branch was now just an empty room. Further checking revealed that the accounts had been transferred to their Chonburi city branch, however customers needed to go to the Chonburi city branch to 'confirm' their new branch and pay a 500Baht transfer fee.

The safe deposit boxes at the old Pattaya branch were moved (no advice to customers) to the Chonburi City branch and customers had to pay a 5,000Baht fee to regain access to their safe deposit boxes.

I had held a safe deposit box at the Pattaya branch but 2 weeks or so before the sudden closure I had cleaned out the safe deposit box and returned the keys, I got a receipt for the return of the kesya which also mentioned closure of the safe deposit box account. But I got a letter from the Chonburi branch saying that I had to pay a 5,000Baht safe depoit box relocation fee by xx/xx/xxxx. 

I called the Chonburi branch which was a waste of a phone call. A day or so later I was going to Bkk for a meeting so I stopped at the Chonburi branch. Quite an unpleasant incident, the lady manager insisted that I pay the 5,000Baht on the spot or she would tell the bank lawyers to sue me. The fact I had a receipt dated 2 weeks before th branch closure for return of the 2 keys and mentioning closure of the safe deposit facility about 2 weeks before the Pattaya closure was not relevant according to the Chonburi mngr. 

I refused to pay anything and walked out. The same afternoon I was at my lawyers office in Silom Centre and I shared the bank saga. He asked his staff to call the national HO of the bank (about 10 minutes walk away) and make an appointment for a meeting. We went the next morning. Soon after the meeting started my lawyer said to the bank snr lady 'my staff are preparing the documents right now to sue your bank for illegal/unethical harrasment of your own client'. Snr bank lady froze.

From the same room she called her Chonburi branch manager and after some harsh words told her to back off. Then she wrote and signed a letter, on bank letterhead, indicating that I was not required to pay any fees at all in regard to the Chonburi situation.

My lawyer stood up and said 'OK that's setttled now lets go downstairs (to the banking chamber) and withdraw all your funds and I'll go with you to you to your new bank to finalize your new accounts and deposit the funds.

Snr bank lady still frozen as we walked out.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2022 at 11:23 AM, Greenside said:

All the computer shops have moved

Not quite true!

JIB and GOODSPEED plus a number of smaller shops are still there plus repair shops on the floor above!

IMG20220621164230.thumb.jpg.ee8e7d5ed99e1efde266ef6e6212ccf2.jpg

Edited by DezLez

13 hours ago, DezLez said:

Any chance of people staying on topic. 

We are discussing KSK with small diversions regarding other malls and where bank accounts go.  Please start another thread if you want to go down memory lane otherwise everyone will be in here with their "histories"!

Many people that are members here bank at BKB in KSK.  Ergo, the closure of KSK leads to the question of where the bank accounts migrate once the bank located within KSK closes.

For those of us who don't have OCD, it's a natural progression of the conversation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was there today.  A sign is posted in Thai on the front door.  The sign is only in Thai but there is map of a Bangkok Bank Branch near Thanin(?) Market.  I was told by a bank employee that I can go there when this branch closes.  She did say I can handle all banking matters at any Bangkok Bank Branch(we shall see about that).  I do not plan on going to the Thanin Branch. 

Although we may use the services of the KSK 'branch' of Bangkok Bank, our accounts are stored in a central computer, accessible to EVERY 'branch' of Bangkok Bank, regardless of location. While we have gotten comfortable with the staff at KSK, and have opened our Bangkok Bank accounts there, all our banking history is on the main computer for Bangkok Bank, which is probably located in Bangkok, not in Chiang Mai. There is no need to worry about this 'branch' closing, except for the PITA of having to start building relationships with staff at a different 'branch,' or finding a convenient place to park.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Which branches have International desks?

19 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Like service for people who don’t speak Thai?

I don't speak enough Thai for conversations, but I've never had a problem with language at any branch of Bangkok Bank that I've needed to use. There always seems to be at least one person who speaks enough English.

25 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I don't speak enough Thai for conversations, but I've never had a problem with language at any branch of Bangkok Bank that I've needed to use. There always seems to be at least one person who speaks enough English.

Yes true.  But what is an international desk? Thanks 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Would be much more helpful if they gave the street addresses also.

I'm guessing it's the branch near Lanna Golf Course, left side if coming from Mae Rim into town.  If someone knows better, please advise.

56 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I'm guessing it's the branch near Lanna Golf Course, left side if coming from Mae Rim into town.  If someone knows better, please advise.

There is a branch on Chotanaa Rd about 100 meters north of Pratu Chaang Puak which is more likely.

Chotanaa is also called Chaang Puak Road by many.

Just call them if you need confirmation.  Hello.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill97 said:

There is a branch on Chotanaa Rd about 100 meters north of Pratu Chaang Puak which is more likely...

Chotanaa is also called Chaang Puak Road by many....

To avoid confusion,  Chang Phuak Road is the name of the road from Chang Phuak Gate to the super highway.  North of the superhighway it's Chotana Road.  You'll see that the address for the Bangkok Bank branch you reference is:  125 Changphuak Road, etc.

On 6/21/2022 at 7:45 AM, HaoleBoy said:

Didn't a satellite Immigration office just move to KSK after Promenade died?

Where will the new "satellite Immigration" go now?

The location of KSK is much more central than Promenada, many foreigners also stay around that area so it is super convenient.

It would be great if immigration opened an office there.

Is it confirmed that the immigration office at Promenada is closed?

On 6/21/2022 at 7:54 AM, ramrod711 said:

The fellow at the currency exchange desk told me yesterday that Central Festival branch would be a good option for me, and that I won't have to transfer money or close accounts, just bank as normal using my existing bank books etc. Hope it's true, although I'm not enthralled with Central Festival.

Sometimes, I do my banking at Bangkok Bank Central Festival. The place is quite cramped/small when compared to KSK branch.

There is a long queue this morning with only 2 counters opened. The staff there is quite nice though, they don't request for original passport for cash withdrawals unlike most branches.

Edited by EricTh

4 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Would be much more helpful if they gave the street addresses also.

There are actually 2 Bangkok Bank branches along that long road.

The Chang Phuak gate branch is at 125 ChangPhuak Road which is closer to the moat.

But I suggest going to Central Festival instead if we want the convenience of shopping mall hours.

Edited by EricTh

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

No, it's near the moat at Chang Phuak gate near the Chang Phuak bus station. The address is given above.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

The location of KSK is much more central than Promenada, many foreigners also stay around that area so it is super convenient.

Promenada in it's entirety is closed therefore Immigration is closed. The suggested temporary closing is obviously permanent.

2 hours ago, CMBob said:

To avoid confusion,  Chang Phuak Road is the name of the road from Chang Phuak Gate to the super highway.  North of the superhighway it's Chotana Road.  You'll see that the address for the Bangkok Bank branch you reference is:  125 Changphuak Road, etc.

When does it become “the road to Mae Rim”?  Or the 107?

What is it called in Faang?

30 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

When does it become “the road to Mae Rim”?  Or the 107?

What is it called in Faang?

(1)  It's also 107 north of the gate.

(2)  In Fang, it's called tanon jahk Chiangmai (that thar road from Chiangmai).

21 hours ago, EricTh said:

There was never an Immigration branch at Kad SUan Kaew.

Promenada has been closed for at least 30 days now. The building is completely empty except for security staff.

On 6/24/2022 at 11:55 AM, elektrified said:

There was never an Immigration branch at Kad SUan Kaew.

Promenada has been closed for at least 30 days now. The building is completely empty except for security staff.

I am suggesting that mobile immigration move to KSK instead due to its better location; not that it once was there.

It's a real bummer that Promenada is closed,  I bought my laptop at Chi Chang a few months back, now I don't know where they moved to.

Edited by EricTh