Kad Suan Kaew is closing

TheAppletons

“Kad Suan Kaew”, a famous shopping mall in Chiang Mai Announcing the closure of another covid epidemic"

https://thailand.postsen.com/news/12576/Kad-Suan-Kaew-a-famous-shopping-mall-in-Chiang-Mai-Announcing-the-closure-of-another-covid-epidemic.html

Appreciate information about  bank accounts from the relative KSK branches especially Bangkok Bank as the go-to foreigner friendly fixture in Chiang Mai. What is the procedure normally shift existing accounts to a certain branch? Do customers have a choice? Do account numbers have to change? I don't believe this is temporary the place has been in a death spiral for years. Plaza across Huay Kaew more dire.

A 30 year old near empty brickpile on a prime location+land. Goodbye

Edited by Captain Monday

Last night the staff in Bangkok Bank were saying that they had not yet decided what to do about relocation of accounts. When SCB closed their branch in KSK a couple of years back all of the accounts were transferred to their Nimman branch. No choice given to the account holders.

If you want foreigner friendly service and shopping mall hours then the Airport Plaza branch has been recommended to me. It is also within walking distance of immigration.

• Like 1

There were too many shopping malls in Chiang Mai ,this is

the second one to close after Promenade ,not enough business

for them all, I used to visit Kad suan Kaew when it first opened,

as it was the only mall at the time,but have not been there for

years.

regards Worgeordie

It has been in need of some serious renovation for years.  Some was done, notably in the basement near the food court but the building is old and on many levels a major fire trap.  CPN has the two most successful malls in town and I doubt KSK was contributing anything to their bottom line.  Sad for those with shops and staff but the site is so valuable it won't stay undeveloped for long.

• Thanks 1

I thought Thailand just opened the country to Thailand by scrapping the inane PCR tests 2 months ago and soon scrap the Covid insurance as well?

So why is KSK closing when the country is just reopening? It doesn't make sense, they should have closed early last year and reopen now instead.

Promenada is also closing? I just bought a computer from there a few months back! 

Edited by EricTh

I've always thought of Kad Suan Kaew as the least attractive of the shopping malls in Chiang Mai, even Promenada was better.

Old, and the food court there was an appetite depressant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I've always thought of Kad Suan Kaew as the least attractive of the shopping malls in Chiang Mai, even Promenada was better.

Old, and the food court there was an appetite depressant.

When I came to CM many years back , I prefer Kad Suan Kaew to the other modern shopping malls which you can find in western countries anyway.

KSK was unique in that it had that Lanna Thai feel, everything felt so different to western countries.

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

When I came to CM many years back , I prefer Kad Suan Kaew to the other modern shopping malls which you can find in western countries anyway.

KSK was unique in that it had that Lanna Thai feel, everything felt so different to western countries.

You can get the same "feel" at Airport Central in the Northern section.

Once was enough as far as eating in the food court was concerned.

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

So why is KSK closing when the country is just reopening? It doesn't make sense, they should have closed early last year and reopen now instead.

Promenada is also closing? I just bought a computer from there a few months back! 

Because it is not about whats maybe coming but what already left

Same as Promenada keeping the lights on air on & all mechanical systems running these past years has left a stain

Prom had some insane back owed Electric bill they had to default on

I have a Account and ATM card, with Bangkok Bank, at  KSK

where my Australian old age pension  are transferred into, with KSK closing, will this service continue as normal.

Mny thks in advance

Edited by deej

55 minutes ago, deej said:

where my Australian old age pension  are transferred into, with KSK closing, will this service continue as normal.

Mny thks in advance

Would presume that BB would notify you of whatever changes are in store.  My guess is your pension is not paid directly into KSK branch but into some central receiving account or bank in Bangkok.  You could stop by and ask the KSK branch but I'd guess they would not know as yet exactly what will happen....but it'll get sorted out in the next week or two.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

Festival and Maya in 13 & 14 put the writing on the wall. Sad, but CM can only support three malls and that with tourists. Pantip plaza will be next.

Ermm.. have you been to Panthip Plaza recently?  Virtually all of it is empty, even the ground floor which was packed with tiny stalls selling phone accessories and the like.  About the only rent paying tenants are Big C and the other shops that have frontage onto (what was) the Night Market.  All the computer shops have moved to the area on the moat around the corner from RAM.

22 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Would presume that BB would notify you of whatever changes are in store.  My guess is your pension is not paid directly into KSK branch but into some central receiving account or bank in Bangkok.  You could stop by and ask the KSK branch but I'd guess they would not know as yet exactly what will happen....but it'll get sorted out in the next week or two.

Mny Thks, CMBob, your reply is greatly appreciated,❤❤❤

Apon checking my Australian Old Age Pension, is Transferred  from Centrelink direct to Bangkok Bank KSK branch

as i reside 30 K,s from KSK, will wait to see how it pans out

13 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

sorry to hear this, very fond memories of KSK. But when I lived opposite in 2009 ish it looked like it was having problems already, lot of empty shops and generally very run down. 

No, a few years before the pandemic (I believe 2017), it was booming with a lot of live Thai shows. There were tons of people shopping there.

Edited by EricTh

9 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Festival and Maya in 13 & 14 put the writing on the wall. Sad, but CM can only support three malls and that with tourists. Pantip plaza will be next.

What do you mean by 13 & 14? 

I guess your 3 malls means Central Festival , Airport Plaza and Maya? I haven't been to Maya for a long time, but it seems to be half-dead when I was there last year.

I guess Central Festival caters to people from the north whereas Airport Plaza caters to the south. Both these are booming with customers as I frequent them recently.

Pantip Plaza is kept alive by the many 'Learn Thai classes' upstairs. Pantip Plaza is almost half-dead, KSK is much better than Pantip in my opinion.

Edited by EricTh

7 minutes ago, EricTh said:

What do you mean by 13 & 14? 

I guess your 3 malls means Central Festival , Airport Plaza and Maya? I haven't been to Maya for a long time, but it seems to be half-dead when I was there last year.

I guess Central Festival caters to people from the north whereas Airport Plaza caters to the south. Both these are booming with customers as I frequent them recently.

Pantip Plaza is kept alive by the many 'Learn Thai classes' upstairs. Pantip Plaza is almost half-dead, KSK is much better than Pantip in my opinion.

There used to be quite a busy restaurant at Pantip, that closed. Only coffee shops left. The Elite Smile dental practice moved elsewhere, then Bangkok Bank closed its branch.

Coming from Nong Hoi, Pantip was much more centrally located for me.

Central Festival and Maya IMO are more upmarket, I prefer Airport Central. It's also got the big PowerBuy store on the other side of the car park.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There used to be quite a busy restaurant at Pantip, that closed. Only coffee shops left. The Elite Smile dental practice moved elsewhere, then Bangkok Bank closed its branch.

Coming from Nong Hoi, Pantip was much more centrally located for me.

Central Festival and Maya IMO are more upmarket, I prefer Airport Central. It's also got the big PowerBuy store on the other side of the car park.

Pantip Plaza used to be famous for computer shops, now it is famous for the 'Learn Thai schools' upstairs.

TOPS, Bangkok Bank, and the Green Pharmacy are the things I will miss when KSK closes.

Lease is over so need to find a new centrally located area to live where grocery chain store shopping is walkable.  Ugh.

Edited by TheAppletons

On 6/19/2022 at 9:58 AM, deej said:

Mny thks in advance

A friend checked there today. All the accounts will be transferred to the Bangkok Bank Chang Phuak branch. Existing account numbers will be retained. Receipt of overseas payments should continue seamlessly. Your debit card will continue to be valid.

• Thanks 1

Promenada, KSK, "Big Yellow One", and the equally stillborn "Harbour" open air venture up near CMU on the Suthep Road... And what about that "ghost suburb" out by a Thai resort and another Big C type mall, I think it back onto one of the main roads running north? It's blocks and blocks of condos and boutiques the Chinese were meant to buy, but they never came, even in the good times! 

CM has been full of projects that may never see tenants, it has been thus for over a decade or more.

The only sane explanation for such folly has to be washing golden triangle money.

I'm sure half of Hong Kong would love to immigrate there, if they could! 

Thailand would likely welcome them, but China will never let them leave.

As it is CM has a glut and there are far worse times dead ahead, sadly.

On 6/19/2022 at 12:17 AM, Greenside said:

It has been in need of some serious renovation for years.  Some was done, notably in the basement near the food court but the building is old and on many levels a major fire trap.  CPN has the two most successful malls in town and I doubt KSK was contributing anything to their bottom line.  Sad for those with shops and staff but the site is so valuable it won't stay undeveloped for long.

Not likely another Mall given Maya is less than a sweaty stroll away, maybe a condo complex? There's a glut all over the city! I can't see a hotel there, not for another ten years anyway. 

The smartest move would be conversion to a mega multi level parking lot with complimentary non-stop, hop-off shuttles to the clogged Nimman Sois and Moat quartile nearby, partly sponsored by local businesses.

I know; far too much farang forward-thinking, and not enough pork for that one to ever see fruition.

Edited by chalawaan