Pipes into pipes for outside walls and future maintenance?

OneMoreFarang

I think about a good way close all opening in all walls in my condominium.

Currently when pipes go from one room to another or to outside of the building or outside of the unit (to the common area) then it seems there is often just a hole in the wall (below the false ceiling). And then one or more pipes are put through that hole.

And if there is need for a another pipe or another cable then that is somehow squeezed through the existing holes or the hole is made bigger or a new hole is created. Then it looks i.e. like this.

(continued below the picture)

1473488931_Pipesfromroomtoroom.thumb.jpg.1ade796b2f4ac10d05e595d5ef813f73.jpg

This obviously "does the job" but it also possibly allows rats to walk through those holes. And it certainly allows sound to travel in and out of the room.

I think it would be good to have no open holes. That should prevent rats and it should be a good noise barrier. 

But just closing everything with cement is probably not a good solution because maybe pipes or cables have to be replaced. A good example of necessary maintenance is the installation of a new air-con with new pipes and cables.

Now, with my limited DIY skills, I think how to best solve this problem. It is unlikely that I will actually do this job by myself, but I thought this is the best section in this forum to ask.

So what came to my mind are pipes in pipes. Let's say i.e. the AC pipes need a 4cm hole. So I think about putting i.e. a 6cm pipe in the wall. The gaps between that pipe and the wall will be closed with cement. And then the AC pipes could be installed through that 6cm pipe. And after the AC pipes are installed then the air gaps between the 4cm AC pipes and the 6cm outside pipe could be closed i.e. with PU-foam.

And in case someone has to remove those AC pipes a few years later then the PU-foam has to be removed and then the existing 6cm pipe is available again and a new pipe can be installed and then the gaps can be closed again.

Is that a realistic solution? Is this commonly used or just my idea? What do others do to close holes but make sure future maintenance is not too difficult?

I found this picture on the internet. It doesn't exactly show what I have in mind but I think it shows the principle. What do you think?

pipepenseal_02.png

This is how I always installed pipes in the UK, but you want the external pipe to be the smallest diameter you can use, to reduce space for rodents and insects if they do get in. I sealed the gap with a little expanding foam then sanded down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

pipes in pipes

Exactly. That's how I've done this too.

However, if you're dealing with existing installations, it's not so easy. In that case you may just brick it up close to the pipes and use expanding foam for the last part around the pipe.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Morakot said:

Exactly. That's how I've done this too.

However, if you're dealing with existing installations, it's not so easy. In that case you may just brick it up close to the pipes and use expanding foam for the last part around the pipe.

Thanks

It will be a complete new installation of everything. Most of the old pipes and cables are gone already.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

I think the phrase you need is , say, conduit wall penetrations. Or cable penetrations

Thanks, it's always helpful to know the right terms to search for.

Google brings up many links and pictures, this is one of them:

https://www.buildmagazine.org.nz/index.php/articles/show/penetrations-through-existing-walls

On 6/19/2022 at 5:30 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I found this picture on the internet. It doesn't exactly show what I have in mind but I think it shows the principle. What do you think?

pipepenseal_02.png

It looks like a puddle flange to me.

Try a google search for the term "puddle flange" and you might find some good examples of what you are looking for.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...