Harrowing scene as Canadian cries for his dead wife at early morning accident in Kanchanaburi

webfact

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

MY condolence to Joseph.  Thai roads are not safe period. especially the side roads.

The questions are  going to be asked and no one  here really cares.

Does anyone think the roads are going to get any safer  now that Thais are legally allowed to smoke weed.

Do you think the roads will be less safe?And why?

4 minutes ago, Noljam said:

Walking can be a dangerous experience I nearly get run over every 2nd or 3rd day pedestrian crossings and traffic signals mean nothing as far as a Thai is concerned these are just lines and the road and lights on a pole and can be driven through at any time.

It is good that you have recognized this and act accordingly.

• Like 1

Another example of their driving dip<deleted>ery this morning coming back from the second school run. That irresistible rush they have to cut a blind corner or to turn early at a junction, ahead of oncoming traffic so that they enter on the totally wrong side of the centerline. As someone suggested earlier, these tricks maybe inculcated from driving recklessly on 2-wheels without regard to how much bigger their bloody car is.

ABS, floods and airhorns getting plenty exercise today.

How is it a 'freak' accident, just the usual motor vehicle/bicycle tragedy, carelessness on one or both sides. So sad. I told my wife long ago that we are never riding bicycles in Thailand. The combination of careless driving (certainly not only by Thais) and terrible or nonexistent road repairs make most two/three wheeled vehicles potential deathtraps. 

I was always taught that any time there is a situation where you might have to brake suddenly, you should shift your foot off the accelerator and move it over the brake pedal without actually depressing the brake pedal, in order to speed up reaction time.

I have sometimes wondered if part of the reason why Thais never seem to do this (besides terrible defensive driving education) is because if you are wearing flip-flop sandals and move your foot sideways there's a risk that the sandal will drop away from the foot and get blocked by or caught under the brake pedal. Just wanted to take a moment to remind people that flipflops are a poor footwear choice for motoring.

My sincere condolences to the husband and her family.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

Good Morning ????,

Thailand roads are very dangerous, This is why there rated #2 In the world ???? For high road fatalities !! And little consequences and lack of Law Enforcement !! 
My Thai wife’s Aunt was killed by a driver clearly speeding not to mention being in a school zone speeding.

The driver says there sorry’s and gives the family some money and walks away Scott FREE !!

Im American ???????? Retired in Thailand, In America ???????? That’s considered

Vehicular Homicide and in a school zone on top of it you’d definitely be doing jail time and paying fines and Civil Lawsuit filed against you by the family.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Good Morning ????,

Thailand roads are very dangerous, This is why there rated #2 In the world ???? For high road fatalities !! And little consequences and lack of Law Enforcement !! 
My Thai wife’s Aunt was killed by a driver clearly speeding not to mention being in a school zone speeding.

The driver says there sorry’s and gives the family some money and walks away Scott FREE !!

Im American ???????? Retired in Thailand, In America ???????? That’s considered

Vehicular Homicide and in a school zone on top of it you’d definitely be doing jail time and paying fines and Civil Lawsuit filed against you by the family.

Please learn that you are not in Kansas anymore. 

The rest of the world has a different culture to the US and personal values differ.

I read yesterday that the US needs armed guards at all their school, now that's screwed up. 

• Like 2

My condolences to the lady's husband. very sad indeed.

There are quite a few cyclists, both Thai foreigner, that use the narrow lane where I live. and the pickups and cars whizzing by my gate give the cyclist as about as much consideration as the (invisible) air in front of them. Although there have been no fatalities there have been several 'mishaps'. On one occasion a mother of two children a couple of houses from me said that she got the several bruises and abrasions on her arms from a pickup entering the lane and just behind her. It clipped the handle bars and she ended up in some bushes.

• Like 1

Just a few days ago when out on the motorbike I nearly run into a group of cyclists (foreigners ...) after a curve on a country road as they were cycling 3 next to each other instead in a line.
When I told them this would be quite silly, I just got the middle finger and a friendly FY.
Wait for a speeding truck guys !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

You have to be very careful when riding a bicycle anywhere thailand is no different.respect the bigger vehicle anywhere do that and you will be ok

Even on designated bicycle paths, in my city there are more motorcycles on them than bicycles

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deli said:

Riding a bycicle in Thaland is a sign of insanity, if not in a very isolated place. 

And even when there are dedicated Cycle Ways for the riders to enjoy, I very often see them on the Roadways right next to the Cycle Way.

Why invite potential trouble for yourself doing this.

Insane ? Yes, very much so.

Many people, especially Thais, fail to realize then when a truck and bicycle or motorcycle or a pedestrian disagree the truck always wins.  This is why there are weight classes in boxing. Slow down. Always give way to an exposed person on the road.

4 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Bristol,

why don’t you answer the question the other way around….

why is there no respect for bicyclists by car drivers here?

I know a number of cyclists in my own compound…a question of respect or fear? They won’t ride with me in the surrounding villages b/c of immense fear about driving behaviors here….they won’t leave our own moobaan…it has nothing to do with cyclists’ respect.

Because they are not taught about it in the 3h video when you're taking your license. I don't remember there was anything about letting pedestrians go first

Edited by sead

23 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Although it take nothing to pass a driving-test here, this will never change until the traffic-police gets on the road and start doing their actual job.

People drive like crazy because they know there is no police and no fines.

agree 100%  total morins speeding or drunk 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Although it take nothing to pass a driving-test here, this will never change until the traffic-police gets on the road and start doing their actual job.

People drive like crazy because they know there is no police and no fines.

Exactly. Again, for the naysayers, corruption impacts us all daily.