Harrowing scene as Canadian cries for his dead wife at early morning accident in Kanchanaburi

webfact

Before welcoming innocent tourists to Thailand and blowing their trumpet, the Prime minister and co should  radically change the road/ driving system chaos of its country. They don’t care a damn and they won’t change anything. 
if there’s anything that spoils my long stays in Thailand, it’s when I have to step into a taxi or cross the road. 

6 minutes ago, geisha said:

Before welcoming innocent tourists to Thailand and blowing their trumpet, the Prime minister and co should  radically change the road/ driving system chaos of its country. They don’t care a damn and they won’t change anything. 
if there’s anything that spoils my long stays in Thailand, it’s when I have to step into a taxi or cross the road. 

It should be pointed out to tourists in their home country, as for us LOS long timers, it was a steep learning curve....????

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Police at the scene with 50-year-old Canadian Joseph S. on Saturday morning after his 49-year-old wife was killed tragically in a freak road traffic accident

There is nothing 'freak' about these accidents.  They are caused by excess speed and a total lack of concern for anyone but themselves.  And I lack of driving skills and situational awareness on the roads.  In this country?  It never ends.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Excel said:

Not all of them, in fact a few are very good, courteous and drive accordingly. It's in the main the male pick-up drivers who are the senseless morons who should be removed.

While it seems male pick up drivers are not good there's also been a woman driving into a pharmacy and another driving into a klong in todays news so i guess we can't single out a specific type of 'moron'

Stay safe! 

If I was a member of the Thai government I would seriously consider not letting any tourists on the roads,for their own good, Cars motorcycles or bicycles  It really is a different world to what they are used to. The pampered cyclists of the UK  for example, who now, for some strange reason, don't even have to use a cycle lane when one is provided, and have been "advised" to ride in the centre of the lane they are using.  amongst other woke / green influenced nonsense. As another poster pointed out, that sense of entitlement doesn't travel very well, especially to Thailand. Here it boils down to 2 things "the right of might"  I,e, large and heavy give way to small and light,  and secondly social deference,, pedestrians are at the bottom of the list , as they are considered too poor to buy a vehicle closely followed by cyclists for similar reasons , motorcyclists come next , and finally cars, in order of value  a Benz, being near the top. I'm not saying its right or wrong, its just how it is and we are not the people who can change it . 

Just now, Bday Prang said:

If I was a member of the Thai government I would seriously consider not letting any tourists on the roads,for their own good, Cars motorcycles or bicycles  It really is a different world to what they are used to. The pampered cyclists of the UK  for example, who now, for some strange reason, don't even have to use a cycle lane when one is provided, and have been "advised" to ride in the centre of the lane they are using.  amongst other woke / green influenced nonsense. As another poster pointed out, that sense of entitlement doesn't travel very well, especially to Thailand. Here it boils down to 2 things "the right of might"  I,e, large and heavy give way to small and light,  and secondly social deference,, pedestrians are at the bottom of the list , as they are considered too poor to buy a vehicle closely followed by cyclists for similar reasons , motorcyclists come next , and finally cars, in order of value  a Benz, being near the top. I'm not saying its right or wrong, its just how it is and we are not the people who can change it . 

You mean you’d ignore the root causes, take some highly questionable actions as a knee jerk response to sweep the issue under the rug..... 

..... You’d fit right in here. In fact if it wasn’t for your English I’d suspect you were a Thai Politician !!! ????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

wife was killed tragically in a freak road traffic accident

"freak road accident = occurring under highly unusual and unlikely circumstances."-Collins Dic............ hardly describes Thailand's Roads

8 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

While it seems male pick up drivers are not good there's also been a woman driving into a pharmacy and another driving into a klong in todays news so i guess we can't single out a specific type of 'moron'

Stay safe! 

.... and another driving into a fried chicken shop (and other vehicles).... 

I know accidents happen everywhere... But really, the utter utter flookwittery is outrageously excessive here...  its completely disproportionate to the number of population and amount of vehicles on the road. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean you’d ignore the root causes, take some highly questionable actions as a knee jerk response to sweep the issue under the rug..... 

..... You’d fit right in here. In fact if it wasn’t for your English I’d suspect you were a Thai Politician !!! ????

Think your kind of missing my point. Im saying, that precisely due to what you said ,   the  root causes that forever remain unaddressed, the questionable actions,   the  inexplicable knee jerk reactions, the ineffective policing etc etc  etc that I would remove these vulnerable people from that particular  theatre of war for there own safety. until the situation is under control, whenever that may be. Obviously in the mean time I'd be working tirelessly to achieve the unachievable 

11 hours ago, bbko said:

Traveling at speed?  Is that a UK term for speeding? 

If I walk in my garden I'm traveling at a speed. am I not?

No speed of recovery for the deceased or the husband and family

58 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Stay safe! 

But how many innocent people did those two kill ?   none, unlike most male pick-up drivers in accidents

54 minutes ago, Excel said:

none, unlike most male pick-up drivers in accidents

"Most" male pick up drivers kill people - really?

I live quite rural and there's accidents daily locally, "most" of them are not male pick up drivers, i think that's a bit unfair to single them out.

What have you got against pick ups?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PJ71 said:

"Most" male pick up drivers kill people - really?

I live quite rural and there's accidents daily locally, "most" of them are not male pick up drivers, i think that's a bit unfair to single them out.

What have you got against pick ups?

Nothing wrong with a pick-up. They were designed to be a utilitarian commercial vehicle .  They were not designed to be driven at break neck speeds by drunk morons who lack even basic road sense, the most of which in Thailand happen to be males.

• Like 2

Pickup's should be heavily taxed, unless you are an active farmer or a business where you need to carry large or heavy loads. As the tax system is now, every young Somchai are buying themself a pickup for personal use instead of a small sedan, as they as the cost is about the same. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, drgoon said:

"killed tragically in a freak road traffic accident when a pickup driver,"

Hardly a freak accident. We are all aware of how common accidents involving pickups are

RIP.

Saw one today on Borrom, near Phutthamonthon Sai 3, 4 pickups rear ended each other, the pickup at the back was a write-off(you'd hope, but who knows?) 

But anyhow, right there was a good reason to start monitoring and regulating(& enforcing regulation on) delivery vehicles, if not all commercial vehicles, then eventually private vehicles. 

Sadly, we all know this won't happen. 

(My visor is in the way because I've got my modular helmet up so I can get a breeze at slow speeds)

Screenshot_20220620-201853_roadcam.thumb.jpg.d0d461027124fb88fcea50b119a1f6ac.jpg

Screenshot_20220620-201915_roadcam.thumb.jpg.24058ef5c2c453017a33b68b098be298.jpg

Edited by MaiDong

14 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Bristol,

why don’t you answer the question the other way around….

why is there no respect for bicyclists by car drivers here?

I know a number of cyclists in my own compound…a question of respect or fear? They won’t ride with me in the surrounding villages b/c of immense fear about driving behaviors here….they won’t leave our own moobaan…it has nothing to do with cyclists’ respect.

From all the places in Thailand I have been in the 5 times I've been there, the infrastructure is bicycle friendly. I ride a bike here where I live, you couldn't pay me to do it in Thailand. Plus as a long haul truck driver in North America for over 30+ years my experience with bicyclist had not been a pleasant one. May she rest in peace.

3 minutes ago, iLuvThai said:

From all the places in Thailand I have been in the 5 times I've been there, the infrastructure is bicycle friendly. I ride a bike here where I live, you couldn't pay me to do it in Thailand. Plus as a long haul truck driver in North America for over 30+ years my experience with bicyclist had not been a pleasant one. May she rest in peace.

I rode my mountain bike around Bangkok for 10 years without a problem, but nowhere I went in all those years was bicycle friendly, and I went all over the city. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you must have been to 5 of the most calm places in the entire kingdom. 

15 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Sorry, but how do they attribute this as a freak accident.

Definition of freak accident..."a very unusual and unexpected event or situation"

Sadly, on these roads it is neither unusual, nor unexpected. The selfish moron was driving too fast, and ploughed on with the standard "I am bigger than you, and more important than you" attitude..............:bah:

I apologise in advance if this seems like a rant. 

My sympathy to the Husband who will probably never see proper justice done.

R.I.P. Young Lady.....:sad:

Seconded

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

MY condolence to Joseph.  Thai roads are not safe period. especially the side roads.

The questions are  going to be asked and no one  here really cares.

Does anyone think the roads are going to get any safer  now that Thais are legally allowed to smoke weed.

That is one consideration that I think is valid with respect to weed legalization.

On the other hand were there a lot of potential weed smokers who were thinking "If only weed were legal..."?

I'm not sure, I would guess there are stats on road accidents in the US states that have legalized weed recently.

7 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Tried 'brake testing' them ? A fractional  dab on the brakes with the left foot (right foot still on accelerator) so the brake lights come on and the car dips momentarily without actually slowing down. Watch their panicked faces and the mouth howling " mummy ! ". ???? 

They just don’t know about thinking & stopping time./ distance. Believe in Instant Stop. ????????

• Like 1

'If I was a member of the Thai government I would seriously consider not letting any tourists on the roads,for their own good.' BdayPrang

Were your wish to come true the taxi and tuk tuk 'mafias' would be overjoyed and the experience of Thailand severely restricted for sensible tourists.

It would be better if no unsafe drivers were let on the roads instead.

Why don´t newspapers and news programs in TV report all this cases more frequently? That would hit the tourist industry in Thailand seriously and I think the government would be forced to take action. This will be same same as always = we will not hear a beep about this accident and the outcome of it.

23 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Bristol,

why don’t you answer the question the other way around….

why is there no respect for bicyclists by car drivers here?

I know a number of cyclists in my own compound…a question of respect or fear? They won’t ride with me in the surrounding villages b/c of immense fear about driving behaviors here….they won’t leave our own moobaan…it has nothing to do with cyclists’ respect.

But it is the cyclists that end up dead. 

Yeah, you go show them you have as much right to that lane as they do.

15 hours ago, transam said:
16 hours ago, nchuckle said:

The cyclists with different experience to your own are unable to post any more…. ???? 

Nothing to do with experience if you get taken out by a truck driver that has time to honk his hooter before he takes you out......

Whoosh! … Different experience,as in dead… ???? 

• Confused 1