How to keep Thai Passport?

My son is a dual national Thai and US. He's 17 + living in the US. I hear that he has to register with the military and/or stay in school until he's 25 to keep his passport.  Can anyone point me to more complete/accurate information for what we need to do to make sure he retains his dual nationality? Thanks! 

If living outside of Thailand a waiver request for the draft can be done at a Thai embassy or official consulate.

There is no cancelation or the inability to apply for a passport if he does not attend the draw for conscription.

When a man reaches the age of 21 they will be informed when to attend the drawing in the district he is registered in.

Moved to the Family and Children forum.

• Like 1

he can apply for his passport once the statue of limitation runs out 10 years after he turns 21 (so 31) in the meantime, he can enter Thailand using his US passport with its limitation and renewals/reporting if he needs to stay longer.

• Like 1

true that while he can apply for Thai passport and ID card, but upon entering Thailand without having reported himself for service there could be a warrant for his arrest and using Thai Passport/ID card to enter the border could result in being nabbed right there and then

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If living outside of Thailand a waiver request for the draft can be done at a Thai embassy or official consulate.

There is no cancelation or the inability to apply for a passport if he does not attend the draw for conscription.

When a man reaches the age of 21 they will be informed when to attend the drawing in the district he is registered in.

Moved to the Family and Children forum.

Is there a time limit for when he should apply for the waiver?