How long can Thailand’s central bank swim against the tide?

webfact

4 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Do you know of any other ways to which you can curb inflation without raising rates? if so, there are many governments who would love to know about it as bigger and wealthier countries are doing it why not Thailand?...

So you didn't read my post?

Of course it is effective in richer countries....doh!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

43 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Do you know of any other ways to which you can curb inflation without raising rates?

Limit and/or delay wage [pensions, benefits, etc.] rises. 

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

The repo man will be very busy and the rich will be fleeing with as much cash as they can skim off the poor before departure is what I'm seeing in the Thai news ????

I have seen more growing locations where they have the Tents set up with the used cars for sale in Bangkok and even south here in Prachuap Khiri Khan.....folks are running out of money for daily living.  Fuel prices are also an issue.  Paid 54.4 thb for my 95 fuel to put in my MG, not sure how the worker bees can keep filling up....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Shh, don't tell daft, sleepy joe, he's quoting the US as the lowest inflation in the world along with the biggest growth in the world.

I haven't really kept up with all this but I think it's higher in the UK. If it isn't it soon will be

Of course the inflation rate for each section of society are different. Poorer households are usually affected more. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not sure what real inflation is here, but in the US it is likely over 20%, at this time. If you take into account products and services that mean something to the masses, not the ones they count to come up with these fake and misleading numbers. Inflation back there is historic. It is insane. It is unsustainable, and I believe it is largely driven by corporate gouging, using covid as a cover. It is positively heinous what they are doing, and is a good example of mankind showing it's lower nature during a pandemic. 

So what is your market basket that tells you inflation is 20%?

Do you know how these rates are calculated?

If the price of Spam rises 50%, it doesn't mean inflation is high, because Spam has minimal impact on the overall basket. Things like housing have much greater impact, and house prices are falling. Lumber and other inputs that go into house construction are falling. Everything gets collated, based on what an 'average consumer' purchases, and then a rate is calculated.

People tend to assume inflation is higher than it is because they notice certain things they regularly buy, forgetting that isn't the entire basket of goods that reflects the average consumer.

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I have seen more growing locations where they have the Tents set up with the used cars for sale in Bangkok and even south here in Prachuap Khiri Khan.....folks are running out of money for daily living.  Fuel prices are also an issue.  Paid 54.4 thb for my 95 fuel to put in my MG, not sure how the worker bees can keep filling up....

Pump prices are going through the roof yes (except Diesel which is subsidized), but 54??

Did you mean 45?

12 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Pump prices are going through the roof yes (except Diesel which is subsidized), but 54??

Did you mean 45?

Nope 54.46 for the top 95. Could use the 95 gasohol at 45.7, but my car does not get as good of fuel mileage. That was 2 days ago. Today it was 

image.thumb.png.954b30272a14d1e5b962f67de76f6cdd.png

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

There is precious little understanding of economics evidenced in this forum.

Inflation is not instantaneous. It builds up over time, and then gets juiced by marginal issues. It's like a dam where one ignores the cracks and leaks until the thing bursts.

After the crisis that began under Bush II, the Fed embarked on ZIRP. That set the ball rolling in the wild speculation that brought back the housing market and made credit easy. Under 45 the National Debt exploded by $7,000,000,000,000, some of it due to spendthrift policies and a large part due to the tax cut. That is what really got inflation in motion. In my analogy the dam cracked and the leaks began. Bad luck whoever is in power when it inevitably bursts, because they will get the blame.)

Then came Covid and all of the aid handed out. Then as Covid came to an end all the pent up demand for everything from driving to travel to clothes juiced prices further. The fact much of the world relied on parts from China, at a time when China was locking down (disrupting supply chains) is another factor. The russian invasion of Ukraine exacerbated things further by driving up fossil fuel prices (risk premium), with help from wasteful  crypto mining, at a time when people around the world were driving back to work. Toss in the fact that roughly 18% of the world's wheat crop is no longer coming to market, and all of that combined to bring about worldwide inflation.

It will get worse in nations whose currency is tumbling vs the dollar, because this is one of the few times when oil and the dollar rise together. The US will be spared some of that because oil is priced in dollars, but Thailand, Japan, the EU---really everywhere except the US and Middle East---is going to feel price inflation due to higher fuel and transport costs.

It is patently silly to blame Biden for all of this, though in the US, the repubs certainly are trying to do that. Blame the Fed for keeping its ZIRP for far too long, blame 45 for his profligacy, blame putin for invading a sovereign peaceful nation, blame Covid for postponing demand then unleashing it, and blame Covid/China again for their lockdowns and the resulting supply chain disruptions.

It is a combination of Ukraine and Russian wheat grain that is being held back from global distribution and is 30% of the world production . Gas stations in U.S.A. , petrol now $5.190 per gallon when from 2010 to 2020 it was averaging $2.6 per gallon . So although the US is producing oil , it is pushing up the prices at the pumps . The Ukraine war along with the covid pandemic is the root cause of many countries slow economic growth  . How Thailand calculates its GDP is a mystery when probably half the working population incomes are unknown to the government . The lower paid are going to suffer if and when there is an interest rate rise in Thailand . Currently Thailand's nominal household debt is 90% of its GDP and an increase in interest rates will weaken the Baht .

Further more , there are murmurs that the dollar will take a hit in the third quarter . Currencies will be unreliable assets and commodities will be a better investment . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

The repo man will be very busy and the rich will be fleeing with as much cash as they can skim off the poor before departure is what I'm seeing in the Thai news ????

Inflation is world wide, no escaping. some reports state that it could go very much higher.

4 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

But you omitted to put "top" in your original post.

Sorry, I figured most would understand what I posted.  I just posted Shells prices today. Just filled up with tge Gasohol 95 non V-power.  Let's see what I get fuel wise on the way back to BKK from Pranburi.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

It is my opinion, that Thailand has not, and will not raise Interest rates any time soon.

They will just let the people suffer with the increased Inflation.

The Government essentially is terrified of the backlash that this would cause throughout Thai Society.

House prices / Building costs are set to rise by some 5 % or so ( more like 10 % ), and this means Developers will incur additional charges on any Money borrowed from the Banks Etc, along with being burdened with Property they have less chance of selling due to increased Mortgage Rates and diminished demand.

The property Market has been on its rear end now for some Years, and any increase in Interest Rates would be a major issue in the loss of Revenue stream for the Government, and with Household Debt at record levels of near 100 % of GDP, any increase would push many more people over the edge into default on their Loans.

Either way the Government play the issue of inflation, they are running the risk of riots on the streets again, and this is something they desperately have to avoid to help the Tourism sector recover.

Interest rate rise or no rise , there could well be a downturn on property values .  Things are about to happen in Thailand and your last paragraph may be on the cards . There are all ready protests in other countries concerning the cost of living .

• Like 1