Best Tool to cut Bamboo trees and Longan branches?

Best I ever had to cut my bamboo was a couple of thai guys with manchettes...no ladders needed and they did a heck of a job in a fraction of the time it would have taken me to do it with no risk of injury to me....IMO some jobs are just better left to the Thai workers.  They even whacked out a nasty bee nest that would have likely sent me to the hospital.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, farmerjo said:

They say you get what you pay for.

What i've got is a 1700 baht 740 watt chainsaw that does 3-4 days work a year and expect it to fail after not many hours.

This morning i replaced the short cable of the chainsaw with a 20 metre one with thicker wiring so an extension cord is not need as as the square junction box would snag as the Fil moved around.

So it is now a 2200 baht saw but will get the cable back after he destroys it.

I know the chain will be blunt by now so looking for a couple of replacement ones.

Are chains universal?

Will an 11.5" bar chain fit all makes of chainsaws.

I saw this on lazada but think the price is to cheap.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/115-electric-chain-saw-parts-for-115-inch-woodworking-tool-wood-cutting-parts-i207875916-s12078371040.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:13920044294!125392363912!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!12078371040!129655195&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8aj87fDM-AIVSE5gCh3O-gchEAQYBCABEgIAn_D_BwE

You're right, thats way too cheap for a chain loop, maybe a price per drive link. 

Saw chain is not necessarily universal. Its best to get it fitted to your bar and sprocket. But with the 11.5" chain loops being sold online you may get lucky on the fit. 

There is the gauge/thickness of the drive links that have to fit properly into the track of the bar. (Usually 0.050") Then there is the pitch, the distance between rivets and drive links, which has to do with how the drive links fit the sprocket. (Thats the 3/8" that you see in the ads, but 0.325" pitch is also common and would be a lighter, faster chain. ) A mismatch with either of these will be unworkable. And then there are different cutter designs, semi-chisel, anti-kickback, etc, which have more to do with performance. The drivelinks are stamped with a model number on better sawchain brands like Stihl or Oregon.

See www.planopower.com, how to determine size of replacement saw chain.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

Best I ever had to cut my bamboo was a couple of thai guys with manchettes...no ladders needed and they did a heck of a job in a fraction of the time it would have taken me to do it with no risk of injury to me....IMO some jobs are just better left to the Thai workers.  They even whacked out a nasty bee nest that would have likely sent me to the hospital.

Wise words...

Since we're on the subject: 

I was wrong, they do call it a "license". 

Electrical Saw Act B.E. 2545.pdf (thailawforum.com)

Electrical is a bad translation, it should be "Power Saw Act".

This was ameneded in about 2009 when the under 12" saws were allowed on the market. 

Its good to have a full range of tools for the job at hand; hand saws, loppers, pole saw, pole pruner, etc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Netease said:

Do you mulch your branches and bamboo,

I use my longan cuttings by layering around the tree.

I use my bamboo as poles to support my fruit trees. a small amount lay on the ground and after a long time decompose. As a side note I ate boiled bamboo shoots today and they were very good.