Action on stray dogs in Krabi - mayor says long term solution is a home for the animals

webfact

On 6/24/2022 at 3:11 PM, billsmart said:

It's easy to see other solutions: find them homes or house them in government-funded facilities. ????

and who will be paying for that, plus food, vet visits

On 6/25/2022 at 3:47 PM, Photoguy21 said:

I take it you will be taking the strays in your area in and looking after them or is it just talk for others to do which on most sites is what it normally is

I live in the mountains of Phetchabun. People from the cities come here come to the mountains to dump their unwanted dogs. At present, we have 14 dogs, all of which were found on the mountain road near our house. I also encourage my neighbors (Thias) to give abandoned dogs homes, which they do from time to time. I hope you will consider doing that too.

21 hours ago, Mavideol said:

BillSmart said: It's easy to see other solutions: find them homes or house them in government-funded facilities. ????

Mavideol then asked...and who will be paying for that, plus food, vet visits?

If they are taken into homes, the owners of the home would be paying for all that. If they are housed in government-funded facilities, the government would be paying for all that with tax money from local citizens.

Edited by billsmart

36 minutes ago, billsmart said:

If they are taken into homes, the owners of the home would be paying for all that. If they are housed in government-funded facilities, the government would be paying for all that with tax money from local citizens.

Easier just to put them down imo.

14 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Easier just to put them down imo.

Easier, but not the right thing to do. You shouldn't kill another living being just because it makes life "easier" for you. That's called "hubris" and is one of the three primary causes of our (human's) continuing destruction of the Earth's environment. Read my recent book on this subject, The Icarus Syndrome. You can buy or get a free copy here: www.billsmart.com/bsc/E-Publishing/Free Books/Icarus/FreeBooksIcarus.htm

20 hours ago, billsmart said:

I live in the mountains of Phetchabun. People from the cities come here come to the mountains to dump their unwanted dogs. At present, we have 14 dogs, all of which were found on the mountain road near our house. I also encourage my neighbors (Thias) to give abandoned dogs homes, which they do from time to time. I hope you will consider doing that too.

Good for you, however many Thais have enough problems trying to feed themselves with the increased cost of living. You put the dogs above people I do the opposite. You may not agree with that but that is your choice. If I had to chose between a dog or helping a family the dog would come in second place.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Good for you, however many Thais have enough problems trying to feed themselves with the increased cost of living. You put the dogs above people I do the opposite. You may not agree with that but that is your choice. If I had to chose between a dog or helping a family the dog would come in second place.

I don't put the dogs above people, but I don't put the people above dogs - especially when it's just people's convenience versus a dog's life. If I was given the choice of helping a person or a dog, I'd help the one I thought needed my help the most.

24 minutes ago, billsmart said:

I don't put the dogs above people, but I don't put the people above dogs - especially when it's just people's convenience versus a dog's life. If I was given the choice of helping a person or a dog, I'd help the one I thought needed my help the most.

Not a question of convenience, more a question of safety

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The decent and honorable long term solution is massive culling. These dogs lead pathetic lives of desperation. Stop the spread. Stop the nonsense. Cull the packs! 

Canine overpopulation arises when uncontrolled breeding of dogs and irresponsible ownership act together. Dogs are promiscuous species by nature and since not a well defined seasonality occurs in this species, are ready to mate all through the year. Owners frequently claim their rights to own a dog but may be reluctant to take care of their responsibilities. If no laws to regulate dog ownership exist or if they exists but are not reinforced, the imminent consequence will be a surplus of the species ending on the streets or shelters. Even in shelters, it is estimated that 2 out of 3 animals entering a shelter won’t have a chance to be adopted and have to be euthanized.

https://www.intechopen.com/chapters/19620

Edited by spidermike007

7 hours ago, billsmart said:

Easier, but not the right thing to do. You shouldn't kill another living being just because it makes life "easier" for you. That's called "hubris" and is one of the three primary causes of our (human's) continuing destruction of the Earth's environment. Read my recent book on this subject, The Icarus Syndrome. You can buy or get a free copy here: www.billsmart.com/bsc/E-Publishing/Free Books/Icarus/FreeBooksIcarus.htm

Will you, and can you apply that same argument for the justification of killing cows, pigs, and lambs for your dietary pleasure? Surely you are indirectly involved in killing that animal by making a choice to consume it. 

On 6/22/2022 at 11:16 AM, Kaopad999 said:

just put the things down and be done with it. They're noting but a nuisance and a danger to people. 

My Thai neighbour told me we cannot hurt stray dogs and cats in Thailand, don't know whether it's true or not.