Over 80 COVID-19 BA.4 and BA.5 sub-variant cases found in Thailand to date

snoop1130

logo-8.png

A total of 81 cases of Omicron BA.4 and BA.5 sub-variant infections have, so far, been found in Thailand, according to latest information from the Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data (GISAID).

Medical Services Department chief Dr. Somsak Akksilp said today (Thursday), citing international reports, that BA.4 and BA.5 sub-variants are easily transmissible, have the ability to avoid immunity, attack the lungs of patients and have a tendency to cause more serious symptoms than the original Omicron variant.

He said, however, that the situation is under control as the BA.4 and BA.5 cases are few and rare, hence, are not of concern for the time being.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/over-80-covid-19-ba-4-and-ba-5-sub-variant-cases-found-in-thailand-to-date/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-06-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Loinx22 said:

Tis almost like the original virus that has a naught point naught, naught, naught, naught naught....Naught, naught, naught, naught, naught effect on peoples lives if they weren't told so.  The virus name eludes me.  81 people out of 67+ million?  I mean...   Monkey Poxesss wasn't good enough?  Oh, sorry.  Monkey pox is not the name anymore because the WHO thinks monkey refers to black people lol  

How many of 67+ million people die on the roads?  The sky is falling!  

It's made my life miserable for the past month.

1 minute ago, G Rex said:

Looks like some fuel to fire the next batch of flip-flopping of the CCSA and Government decrees.

Keep the masses scared! Control. Control. Control. 

Nothing in the OP meant as scaremongering for the public, just information as this mutates into a lesser variant.  Read @TallGuyJohninBKK post above

• Like 1

81 out if a number of how many tested I wonder? They’ll keep the numbers low as they don’t want anything affecting the money coming in again to the country now. Whenever someone from the givernment says “we have it under control” is exactly the time to start worrying about what’s to come. Not always with the virus but what’s to come from the government in order to keep the money rolling in for their own uses.

Thailand is in fact the medical hub of the world?   So is their science they have found sound the alarm call out fire in a Crowd then retract we got it under control. 

Certainly any virus is no match for Thailand,  I wonder where is all the wonder drug and vaccine they announced last year.  Whatever happen to the AZ being produce here?  The copies of Pfizer And Moderna? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, G Rex said:

Looks like some fuel to fire the next batch of flip-flopping of the CCSA and Government decrees.

Keep the masses scared! Control. Control. Control. 

Exactly what I was thinking. Not only in Thailand though, the Governments around the world are not going to let this mass ascendancy out of their grasp. The pharmaceutical companies also wish this to continue for obvious reasons.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data (GISAID).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The second pgh above seems a pretty silly/wrong-headed comment for a medical professional to make.

Those newer variants are now here in Thailand. They're easily transmissible and, according to him, tend to attack the lungs and cause more serious symptoms.

AFAIK, elsewhere where those 4 and 5 variants have circulated, they tend to overtake the prior Omicron variants.... And I'd assume there's no reason to think the same thing won't also happen here with time.

But I guess in his book, you don't worry about a speeding car heading your way until it's already run you over...

"BA.4 and BA.5 caused an estimated 35% of new Covid-19 infections in the United States last week, up from 29% the week before, according to data shared by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Tuesday.

BA.4 and BA.5 are the fastest spreading variants reported to date, and they are expected to dominate Covid-19 transmission in the United States, United Kingdom and the rest of Europe within the next few weeks, according to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control."

Dr Somsak  "not a concern for the time being" "it's under control" Did he forget to add "for the time being" after "it's under control"

I sence a little 'not very sure about this one'

One needs to be sensible re the precautions of the new variants ie wear mask in enclosed spaces / if in groups of people or meeting unknown persons and still avoid shaking hands but keep to washing hands .  Monitoring of the number of cases and taking early action (pro-active approach ) should be the norm .    The info on the new Moderna vaccine is very useful and if might be more useful to read here about about what the other pharmaceutical companies are developing in regard to the new strains .    Other info on getting a 2nd booster ( is that advised after the first boosters efficacy wanes and before the newer vaccines become available and if so where can one obtain that ? )  .   What is Thailand's planning to obtain the newer vaccines resistant to the new BA.4 and BA.5 sub variants ?? 

Positive and informative information here is really welcome .       

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Over 80 COVID-19 BA.4 and BA.5 sub-variant cases found in Thailand to date
A total of 81 cases of Omicron BA.4 and BA.5 sub-variant infections have, so far, been found in Thailand, according to latest information from the Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data (GISAID).

There seems to be a over calculated number!!!!!!

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Slow your roll.

Not all variants are more dangerous. 

Depends on the mutation. 

In San Francisco which is a melting pot of people from all over the world there's lots of positive tests.  But not a lot of hospitalizations.  Why is that?

An estimated 95% of people have antibodies and 72% of people are fully vaccinated and about 60% fully boosted.  Death rates are low.  We got drugs now that help.  And Doctors have more experience treating patients.

Omnicron < Delta < Original Wuhan Seafood Market strain.

But on the other hand, many people mostly older people are testing positive who've been boosted twice.

And the latest variants seem to be causing more lung issues.

Remember how Doctors said that the original strain made people's lungs look like they inhaled glass?

Yikes. ????

Screenshot_20220623-160745_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220622-211448_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20220622-211837_Gmail.jpg

Edited by SiSePuede419

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Medical Services Department chief Dr. Somsak Akksilp said today (Thursday), citing international reports, that BA.4 and BA.5 sub-variants are easily transmissible, have the ability to avoid immunity, attack the lungs of patients and have a tendency to cause more serious symptoms than the original Omicron variant.

He said, however, that the situation is under control as the BA.4 and BA.5 cases are few and rare, hence, are not of concern for the time being.

Hmmmm

Australia expects these new strains to become dominant and for previously infected people to become infected with these variants. They are very concerned about the new variants affinity for lungs but state that it is still too early to know how bad it will be.

I thought a Sub Variant was a submarine that didn't look like a submarine. To quieten the protesters who objected to their taxes being spent on them. ???? It looks like the media is stirring panic again.???? 

• Like 2

Lots of infections in upper Sakon Nakhon.  Mostly unreported.  Occasionally close the particular class for two days but keep the school open.

I'm assuming the next wave will be around a month or two.

People are tired of hiding.

Theres really no way of avoiding getting it.  Just get vaccinated and try to keep up with boosters as best as one can.

Our entire family caught it 2 months ago despite vaccines and boosters.  Perhaps helped keep it mild.  Only my elderly wife's mother struggled for a few weeks.  The rest of us we're knocked out for a week.