Thailand's roads: The carnage continues, in fact it's getting worse - 40 dead "at scene" yesterday

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News continued their campaign to raise awareness about the continuing carnage on Thailand's roads - as if people didn't know.

Some of the most dangerous roads in the world had 40 dead at the scene yesterday. The number will go up when all agencies report the casualties in their jurisdiction and those who succumb on and in hospitals are added. 

Dr Thaejing Siriphanich of the Anti Drink Driving Foundation said this brought the June total up to the 23rd to 914 dead.

For the year to date that's 7,091 fatalities - UP from last year's 7,067 for the same period. 

73657-1-1-1024x577.jpg

Picture: Daily News

It appears that with more traffic on the roads post pandemic the figures are just going up and up. Despite police and government rhetoric to do something.

Daily News went with a headline that suggested DUI not only hurts drivers but other road users and people as well. 

As evidence of this they reported on an accident in which an MG flew off the road at a bend in Nakhon Nayok province into a house.

ยอดอุบัติเหตุรายวัน-20.jpg

Graphic: Daily News

The female passenger was killed and the male driver refused to take a breathalyzer at the scene. He was taken away to have a DUI test.

The house owner said they too were injured by flying glass. The bend is a notorious accident blackspot.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Any driver refusing to take a breath test should be assumed to be guilty and banged up. Is there a law against refusing a breathalyzer? 

The refusal to take a breath test should be sanctioned by a heavy fine (10,000bht) payable on the spot. If no money, jail for a couple of days.

8 hours ago, JoePai said:

Keeps the car companies happy

Always thought in my few years in Thailand that a smash repair business would be a good business to invest in .

Steady growth each day 

18 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Any driver refusing to take a breath test should be assumed to be guilty and banged up. Is there a law against refusing a breathalyzer? 

Yes, but it's flexible depending on who and salary.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, itsari said:

Always thought in my few years in Thailand that a smash repair business would be a good business to invest in .

Steady growth each day 

Looking at these crash photos most of the cars seem beyond economic repair. What surprises me is how cheap motor insurance is here. My Roojai policy is $150 a year.

• Like 1

thailand is a gong show for driving. over 90 percent of drivers here should have their license taken away.

for the most part thai do not have the proper function and capacity to handle the decision making needed to operate a vehicle in a safe manner.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gandtee said:

They are likely presumed guilty and have to hand over money then can drive on home!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Pull the other one will you, I drive for hours on end and never see a cop in sight, however if there is a VIP that is going to pass by, they will be at every junction, i.e. off of their lazy aces.

Yep. That's all they are. An army of the rich.

The horrendous accident stats here don't seem to bother the collective hive-mind at all. Just an unemployment solution.