Getting a dog to RELEASE - WHO KNEW !

CharlieH

In Peru I was told that pig-thieves insert a finger into the pig's rectum to prevent it from squealing and thrashing around as they run off with it into the night. I told them that would make me squeal and thrash around a lot, and probably make my eyes water too.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

I knew.....one of the first things my dad taught me when he brought home a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Never had to do it thank god.

Yes, its common knowledge among owners of such dog breeds, in UK anyway
something every owner should know
the reality is sad that most owners lack essential knowledge and many have dogs beyond their capable of care and training

lots of what others suggest would get them in a pickle or have no effect
especially against a dog with lock jaw

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, G Rex said:

May work if you are being attacked by a slightly annoyed chihuahua....  Pitbull/Rottweiler/Soi dog - I don't think so

True....as you are pushing the legs out and downwards you would be losing a good % of your face at the same time.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Heard the same about pulling front legs apart. Never tried it myself though. ???? too close to the angry end for me ????

If my life depended on it, but, yeah. I'd rather not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Next time you see a dog attack and wont release, would you try it ?

My only one time hope my last was to grab the dogs collar and punch the dog hard on the nose to make the dog release the bite. 

I don't think I could manage the same tactic I used now on my own with a large aggressive dog but I guess I would still try if no-one else could help. 

I have heard of that the sticking of a finger up a dogs <deleted> hole but you would have to grab something or someone else would have to have hold of the dog on release. 

With no dog collar to grab difficult.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My only one time hope my last was to grab the dogs collar and punch the dog hard on the nose to make the dog release the bite. 

I don't think I could manage the same tactic I used now on my own with a large aggressive dog but I guess I would still try if no-one else could help. 

I have heard of that the sticking of a finger up a dogs <deleted> hole but you would have to grab something or someone else would have to have hold of the dog on release. 

With no dog collar to grab difficult.

Lets be honest, I think getting stabbed in the ass would make most mammals  jaw drop ! ....????????????

Although a certain group may find it preferable.????

10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Lets be honest, I think getting stabbed in the ass would make most mammals  jaw drop ! ....????????????

Although a certain group may find it preferable.????

Yeah for sure there's the funny side. 

Forgive me but subjects about dog attacks make me think of 2 kids who died not so long ago in the UK from a dog attack a horrible way for a kid to die. 

1 hour ago, Excel said:

So you tried it then ?

No never tried it but i have trained many dogs to bite people and i know for a fact

that you can not let a dog to release you by trying to hurt him.

1 minute ago, jvs said:

No never tried it but i have trained many dogs to bite people and i know for a fact

that you can not let a dog to release you by trying to hurt him.

I wondered when the first claimant to " I used to train dogs to bite people" would start barking away. Please collect your winners prize on the way out. That is once you have explained why the phenomena that the jaw muscles of a dog automatically relaxes once they become unconscious, is no longer true ?????

10 minutes ago, Excel said:

I wondered when the first claimant to " I used to train dogs to bite people" would start barking away. Please collect your winners prize on the way out. That is once you have explained why the phenomena that the jaw muscles of a dog automatically relaxes once they become unconscious, is no longer true ?????

I wondered when the first claimant to be a tough guy would come along.

I have met a lot of guys like you,once suited up and bitten they would still squeal

like a baby!

Any idea how much it hurts when a dog decides to really dig into you?How would you render a dog unconscious when he is hanging on your arm or leg or torso?

You really have no idea where you are talking about!

No prize for you and no emoji.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, jvs said:

I have met a lot of guys like you,once suited up and bitten they would still squeal

like a baby!

Any idea how much it hurts when a dog decides to really dig into you?How would you render a dog unconscious when he is hanging on your arm or leg or torso?

Fully immersed in your own BS obviously, Dream on and try to impress children with your fairytales rather than adults. 

Edited by Excel
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, jvs said:

like a baby!

You may have credibility on the subject so surely would it not depend on the dog or type of dog. 

I assure you that my hard punch on the dogs nose worked. 

That said would trained attack dogs not respond to a punch or a eye being gouged. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You may have credibility on the subject so surely would it not depend on the dog or type of dog. 

I assure you that my hard punch on the dogs nose worked. 

That said would trained attack dogs not respond to a punch or a eye being gouged. 

Yes a(properly) trained attack dog would respond to a punch or an eye being gouged,

they would bite harder.

Of course it would depend on the type and size of dog,i know the topic is not about attack trained dogs but i have seen untrained pittbulls bite and that is not pretty.

When they are in the killing zone there is not much that will stop them,excel certain people of course!

1 minute ago, jvs said:

Yes a(properly) trained attack dog would respond to a punch or an eye being gouged,

they would bite harder.

Of course it would depend on the type and size of dog,i know the topic is not about attack trained dogs but i have seen untrained pittbulls bite and that is not pretty.

When they are in the killing zone there is not much that will stop them,excel certain people of course!

Next you will be telling us you wear your pants on the outside of your trousers ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I would have thought a bucket of water would be enough. Or getting the hind legs, I seem to remember that from another thread.

IMO people who own pitbulls are like people with handguns, a manifestation  of their insecurity. Single purpose only.

I'd add tattoos

1 hour ago, jvs said:

they would bite harder.

Pretty scary those type of large dogs I would never want one. 

My dog in UK was an English Springer Spaniel a soft jaw dog as they say but I would still be surprised by some of his actions with someone going near our kids.

I was amazed how strong he was under that soft floppy coat.

Now in Thailand I always try not to put myself in a dog attack situation I don't walk anywhere much where a situation like that could come about. 

What annoys me most here in Thailand is the dogs that chase motorbikes and bicycles.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 10:02 AM, patman30 said:

especially against a dog with lock jaw

You mean lockjaw (tetanus)?!   No dogs have any mechanism that allows them to "lock their jaws", they can bite and hang on using jaw muscles and determination but they can't lock their jaws.