Is it legal to film police officers in Thailand?

FarAway

i once saw a thai man approach a tourist in hua hin walking street. and smack him on his face

20-30 times non stop without saying a thing. i got up from my chair and got closer in a hope to stop the brutal attack. the thai man told me "i am a policeman".

so from this point, what would you do? would you take out your phone and record the incident?

anyway allmost every corner is covered by CCTV so the choice is yours.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Whether they are or are not bona fide brownshirts - they will be the arbiters of legality in the moment.

Bear in mind there is no police complaints authority etc in Thailand

However multiple uploads to social media does seem to be the go to panacea for resolution in the land of smiles. Though how you orchestrate that when immersed in your hypothetical 'unwanted confrontation' might be a conundrum

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

In Khaosan road, patrol police regularly stop and search foreigners, without any probable cause or search warrant. That's clearly a violation of Thai laws and must be reported. Most tourists don't wanna take the trouble, though.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoseThailand said:

It is not only legal, it is advisable. In fact, it is a very effective way for making them follow the law.

Yes and the filming of their brutality and live streams on Youtube by some sections of the national media is also effective, so had it been illegal then no doubt the PM and his boss would have them shut down by now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Excel said:

Yes and the filming of their brutality and live streams on Youtube by some sections of the national media is also effective, so had it been illegal then no doubt the PM and his boss would have them shut down by now.

Since June 1 the Personal Data Protection Act has come into effect and that could be used to make anyone posting such images libel for damage caused to persons on video.  It could be a slippery slope.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Since June 1 the Personal Data Protection Act has come into effect and that could be used to make anyone posting such images libel for damage caused to persons on video.  It could be a slippery slope.

I would like to see some of these Vloggers charged with that but the ladies would possibly have no wish to be involved publicly after the embarrassment of the initial video should they have suffered in some way.  Doubt the actual bar owners would want it as all they want is publicity in any shape or form. I feel sorry for the embarrassment some of the girls may suffer due to some idiot putting something on Youtube to generate likes.

• Like 1

A lot of Police are also carrying cameras now,and i have seen a lot of Thai people recording

their encounters with the police.

I do not think a policeman would slap a foreigner for filming him/her/it

while they are being stopped.

All the RTP members wear a number,no need to feel intimidated.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2022 at 1:56 AM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i once saw a thai man approach a tourist in hua hin walking street. and smack him on his face

20-30 times non stop without saying a thing. i got up from my chair and got closer in a hope to stop the brutal attack. the thai man told me "i am a policeman".

so from this point, what would you do? would you take out your phone and record the incident?

anyway allmost every corner is covered by CCTV so the choice is yours.

" ...anyway allmost every corner is covered by CCTV so the choice is yours."

Keeping in mind of course that in many locations many cameras / banks of cameras are fake, not connected to anything, broken and never fixed...

I remember in distant history a police general did say it is legal and advised so the policeman in front of you is careful. As many of us have video cameras on the windscreen these days, it is a precaution worth taking. Be careful, I think it is illegal to hold a mobile phone in a car even if stopped. Someone else maybe remembers the law. 

It's probably legal since you see videos with police quite often.

But they just passed that new law where you could be charged if you post a video online of a crime.  You're supposed to give it to the police.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

My response would be don't especially if;

• You don't speak and understand really good conversational Thai.

I would never, in all sanity, speak with them a word in Thai. Only English. I would make calls to Tourist Police and embassy immediately.

22 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

your profile says you joined Thaivisa 2019. you've been here long enough to know the answer to that.

I know that they are afraid of confrontation if you show them that you're not a pussy and know your rights, take a video, make phone calls, etc.

54 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

I know that they are afraid of confrontation if you show them that you're not a pussy and know your rights, take a video, make phone calls, etc.

oh so you know the score then. so why you so worried about bagpackers on the KSR getting stopped by the BiB? they have the knowledge of the world at their fingertips, they could research that type of thing before they come to Thailand and be prepared instead of making themselves targets by walking around with drugs in their pockets. that's why the cops are stopping them, to get the "release fee". it's like fishing, gotta hail in a few minnows until you land the big fish. all part of The Game.

• Like 1